Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 08-22-2014, 21:02   #46
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Today was a good relaxing day. I did some pendulums every couple of hours and bent my elbow a few time to keep it loose. All in all, a relaxing day. I didn't take anything more serious for pain than a Valium, bacolofen, and a mobic , and that held me pain free for the most part all day. Some minor aches here and there, but nothing that couldn't be sucked up.
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 18:15   #47
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Thumbs up Great Thread

edit

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-16-2018 at 13:54.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 20:47   #48
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Today the Phys Therapist, after reading the Ortho Docs note said "Well, looks like we are going to cancel all you appointments until 4 September. You got nothing but pendulum swings and some minor stretches. "

Well, convalescent leave is over and go back to work sitting at a desk tomorrow. Woohoo!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 16:26   #49
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Good thing you didn't push too hard, too early.
Old 08-27-2014, 19:57   #50
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Honestly, I haven't felt as much pain until I was told to slow down on the rehab. Yesterday, I had to take 5mg Percocet and had to go straight into 350-1 training, now normally 5mg of Percocet doesn't phase me; however, Percocet and 350-1 training added together turned me into a doped up zombie. LOL, today I told the commander I wouldn't even be at the training, in fact I was so tired and in so much pain I just popped smoke and went back to the house. I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I think another week of cov leave should have been requested LOL.
Old 09-03-2014, 15:08   #51
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Tomorrow marks 1 month after shoulder surgery. Ive been taking it easy as far as the post-op physical therapy goes and just doing the pendulum swings and other light stretches that the Ortho DR approved of. I have been able to make it through most days without taking any pain medication until its time to go to bed. The pain is a little sharp when I wake up, but it quickly becomes a dull ache. By around 1800/1900 the pain is a little stronger and I will take the medication between 1930/2030.

Tomorrow I go back to the physical therapy clinic. I'm not sure what I'm in for LOL, but I'm looking forward to it. I'll post a follow up tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:07   #52
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Well, that was much ado about nothing. I was told that I could do the exercises at home, so I left. I go back on the 8th to see the actual Physical Therapist and hopefully can get started back up after that.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:21   #53
cetheridge
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr549xxx View Post
Well, that was much ado about nothing. I was told that I could do the exercises at home, so I left. I go back on the 8th to see the actual Physical Therapist and hopefully can get started back up after that.
Well, one month out and you apparently have not started any real structured therapy. I can only surmise that your repairs were quite extensive, more than the norm and the Ortho Surgeon has deemed it necessary to delay therapy, other than the pendulums and other minor home exercises to keep the joint loose. It just seems strange to me that you have not had a therapist stretching the arm (is this correct?).

On the other hand, this is beginning to sound like a case of "Take 2 aspirins and call me next week". Not being familiar with the type of medical system you're dealing with, (military docs, Government civil service, or contract), I'll defer further comment.
However, and this is JMO, it appears that you are dealing with a "troubled" VA hospital/clinic or an Indian Reservation Indian Health Services hospital run by the BIA.

Keep the arm loose, use the ice packs, and keep us informed.

I'm 14 weeks out, still have some occasional aching and minor twinges of pain.....especially when I use hedge clippers, , (Tuesday). Yes, when the arm feels good, it is easy to slip into the "dumbass" mode. I used the ice treatment and today the arm is good.

Wishing you a speedy recovery! It takes time.

SFA M-12786
cetheridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 19:54   #54
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetheridge View Post
Well, one month out and you apparently have not started any real structured therapy. I can only surmise that your repairs were quite extensive, more than the norm and the Ortho Surgeon has deemed it necessary to delay therapy, other than the pendulums and other minor home exercises to keep the joint loose. It just seems strange to me that you have not had a therapist stretching the arm (is this correct?).

On the other hand, this is beginning to sound like a case of "Take 2 aspirins and call me next week". Not being familiar with the type of medical system you're dealing with, (military docs, Government civil service, or contract), I'll defer further comment.
However, and this is JMO, it appears that you are dealing with a "troubled" VA hospital/clinic or an Indian Reservation Indian Health Services hospital run by the BIA.

Keep the arm loose, use the ice packs, and keep us informed.

I'm 14 weeks out, still have some occasional aching and minor twinges of pain.....especially when I use hedge clippers, , (Tuesday). Yes, when the arm feels good, it is easy to slip into the "dumbass" mode. I used the ice treatment and today the arm is good.

Wishing you a speedy recovery! It takes time.

I'm active duty so I'm receiving medical care from the hospital on post. From what the Ortho DR said, my injury was pretty extensive and he didn't want me doing anything more than the what I mentioned previously. I should start ramping things up next week.
Old 09-05-2014, 22:38   #55
cetheridge
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr549xxx View Post
I'm active duty so I'm receiving medical care from the hospital on post. From what the Ortho DR said, my injury was pretty extensive and he didn't want me doing anything more than the what I mentioned previously. I should start ramping things up next week.
That's what I was thinking. Follow the Doctor's orders...he is the one who was inside your arm and repaired the damage.

I meant no disrespect for the medical care you are receiving....just feeling out whether or not you had been lost in the shuffle or being f#&ked with. Quite frankly, it's probably none of my business....just trying to help you through this experience.

I definitely did not mean any disrespect to any of the doctor types on this board because they all seem to be top notch. In my personal experience, I've found that most doctors care, but some don't.

When ramping up, just remember while in this recovery period that you have to "crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run".
When doing the exercises, do them smoothly. In other words, if you're instructed to do 30 reps, do them smoothly regardless of how long it takes.
If you have to do an exercise for 3 minutes, concentrate on doing each rep smoothly, not with how fast or how many reps you can pump out in the time frame.

SFA M-12786
cetheridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 18:59   #56
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Roger that. Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast applies for more than CQB.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:26   #57
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Do you think that there may be a disconnect between your Doc, and the PT folks?

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-16-2018 at 10:31.
Old 09-07-2014, 16:34   #58
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flag 1 View Post
Do you think that there may be a disconnect between your Doc, and the PT folks? If you nave any doubts about what is going on, give your Doc a call. You do not have to wait for your next doctors appointment to get/keep things on track.
I think the PT clinic was following a standard rehab protocol, and the Ortho DR didn't put it in his notes in Alta stating the extent of my injury or the repairs until after I had been going to physical therapy for almost two weeks.
Old 09-07-2014, 17:34   #59
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I've been following your adventure from the beginning but didn't feel a need to contribute until now. I had a Bankart repair performed 02 APR. The physician REFUSED to allow PT until mid-AUG. Bottom line - things were bad enough (a lot more damage than expected compounded by previous untreated injuries) when he went in that he didn't want an overzealous PT tech undoing his "masterpiece". I'm progressing well; he cleared me "not to return" on my last visit 03 SEP, instructing me to cautiously continue with the prescribed course of PT.

The data point for you is that there is no such thing as a routine repair. Your Ortho knows what he did and what can be expected over the course of recovery. Keep him in the loop until you have a clean bill of health and recovery has progressed as far as can be expected. Do not expect 100% restoration of function. My physician informed me that I can only expect about 70% after 12 months. As consolation he also told me "that's more than most people need/use anyway". As if that made me feel any better.

The current/projected course of PT is focused on assisted stretching to prevent "frozen shoulder" and gradual increase of exercises designed to build stabilizing muscle. I've also been given a (common sense) list of activities to avoid. I have been repeatedly cautioned to avoid anything causing "pain". Apparently it really isn't "weakness leaving the body" as we've been told all these years. Who'da thunk?

Thankfully, I continue to improve. I have recovered sufficiently that I can once again manipulate a 9mm (haven't tried the .40, .44, or .45 yet); unfortunately I can't get my support elbow under my long gun, I've no idea yet what it means for archery season this year, and I'll be "throwing like a girl" probably for the rest of my life. And it still aches almost continuously though I was able/eager to quit narcotic pain meds W/I 2 weeks of the surgery. I've been assured everything is normal and progressing as expected - not to push it like we've all done while in uniform to "get back in the game faster".

Do as you've been told by your med care team, don't re-injure yourself by pushing too hard/fast, and be accepting of "the new normal". Screwing any of that up will most likely result in additional surgery (guys in my office facing 3rd and 4th surgeries on the same injury for FTFSI!). I don't know about you but avoidable pain (unnecessary surgeries fall in that category) isn't one of my fetishes. Good luck with your recovery; it's a long road, one I'm not that far down myself.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:54   #60
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Today I tried a very slow run/walk. 3 miles at an 11 minute miles average pace. That was the first time I ran since I injured my shoulder back in April. I kept my arm held across my chest so I would jar my shoulder. It felt really good to gert bacl out there and break a sweat. Its been 2 hours since I finished the run and my shoulder doesnt hurt anymore than it usually does. Im going to try it again on Thursday except I'm going to wear a sling that will immobilize my arm and shoulder more.