Old 08-16-2014, 21:31   #31
cetheridge
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flag 1 View Post
Ice is your friend.
AMEN!

Quote:
Whew, I woke up hurting yesterday and physical therapy actually helped with the pain, it was more passive stretching followed by 10mins of ice. I would say I went in with my pain level at a 5 spiking to a 7 from time to time, by the time I left, it was at a 0. That didn't last long. The pain starting coming back in waves, later that day as (1) I was walking out of a door, it slammed into my shoulder and that was all she wrote, I was at a pain level of 8 until I got back to my house. (2) Lesson learned: Carry Percocet with me at all times LOL.
On the upside, the Physical Therapist wants to see me sooner than later next week, so I got an appointment for Monday.

(3) The damn sling is still a pain in the ass though, especially since I'm right handed.
(1) Hopefully, you've gained some SA and by being aware of your surroundings and what you are doing, you will protect the shoulder.

(2) IMHO, popping those "Momma's Little Helpers" like M&M's is a slippery slope.
A friend of mine is now in week 2 after having a second repair surgery. He was in week 6 after his first surgery, decided he did not need to wear the sling as directed by his doctor, thought he felt good enough to pound in tomato stakes with a hammer and re-injured his shoulder. He said he was going to have the word "idiot" tattooed on his forehead to remind himself every time he looks into a mirror to not do anything stupid (he has a PhD in Botany). He continues to pop Percocet every day because he "likes the feeling".

(3) Yes, the sling is "a pain in the ass", but the minimum 6 weeks has an important purpose. The whole recovery/therapy process is a real bitch. Each week you will notice progress (if you work at it) and it will get easier.

Keep at it (like you really have a choice), and keep us updated.

SFA M-12786
cetheridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 20:29   #32
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Ionaryionary

I'm trying to stick to on following physical therapy and one right before he'd, sometimes, a third 10mg prercocet in between. Tomorrow after physical therapy I'm going to hit the gym and knock out some stationary leg machines

The PT OIC said I'm showing pretty remarkable ROM as well as strength and pain tolerance as compared to previous patients.
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 22:41   #33
cetheridge
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr549xxx View Post
I'm trying to stick to on following physical therapy and one right before he'd, sometimes, a third 10mg prercocet in between. Tomorrow after physical therapy I'm going to hit the gym and knock out some stationary leg machines

The PT OIC said I'm showing pretty remarkable ROM as well as strength and pain tolerance as compared to previous patients.
Sounds encouraging.....keep at it and "you will do well, Grasshopper".

SFA M-12786
Old 08-18-2014, 21:22   #34
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Today's physical therapy session was some different passive stretches, I was able to use the hand bike and that was pretty good, not painful like I thought it would be. I also did the finger ladder, it was really good, I was able to reach up pretty high and get a good stretch. The best part was being told I didn't have to wear the sling as much anymore. He said I could go without until I start feeling pain and if I could get 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep at night without wearing it, then in I longer have to wear it to sleep either
Old 08-18-2014, 22:26   #35
cetheridge
Guerrilla

Fantastic!
You seem to be making good progress!

SFA M-12786
Old 08-19-2014, 19:03   #36
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

I had an appointment with my ortho surgeon today. He felt that I was doing too much too soon. He wants me to continue wearing the sling most of the time and especially when I sleep (ugh!!). I have another appointment with phys therapy tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.
Old 08-19-2014, 19:06   #37
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I had an appointment with my ortho surgeon today. He felt that I was doing too much too soon. He wants me to continue wearing the sling most of the time and especially when I sleep (ugh!!). I have another appointment with phys therapy tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.
This can take a year to heal, under good conditions and following instructions.

Screw it up, and you'll really be sorry.

Listen to the Orthopedic Surgeon.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 20:28   #38
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Your best advice is from your doc.

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-16-2018 at 10:29.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 22:01   #39
cetheridge
Guerrilla

Quote:
As TR, RF1, and I have said in earlier posts, recovery and healing of the shoulder is measured in many, many MONTHS (up to and sometimes more than a year).....not weeks. You asked for advice from those who had BTDT.

I was somewhat surprised that the physical therapist put you on the hand cycle and has you doing finger ladder only 2 weeks after surgery. Both of these are active exercises putting tremendous stress on the shoulder repairs. I did not do these exercises until out of the sling at week 6. Yes it's a pain in the ass to sleep in, but it relieves shoulder stress and keeps you from subconsciously moving the arm while asleep.

Yesterday, my arm felt good and I used it a little too much...it felt "pulled" and it ached....last night I iced it. This morning when I got out of bed, it was stiff....used a heat pad and loosening exercises before coffee. Tonight it feels okay. It has been 3 months since my surgery and on those days that the arm feels good, I have to remind myself to not over use it.

If you push too hard, you will be back in surgery and starting rehab all over again.

The surgeon is the one who repaired your arm and put it in the sling....not the Physical Therapist. The PT doesn't give a shit if you tear the shoulder (well, maybe he/she does), but the more visits you make, the more money they make.

Take it easy, do the exercises slow and smooth, healing and recovery will be faster. As Clint Eastwood said, "A man has got to know his limitations".

SFA M-12786
Old 08-20-2014, 13:46   #40
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

I was going by what the physical therapist told me to do. I guess they have a weekly protocol they follow stating what a patient should be doing to rehab week by week. Everything they had me doing was was pretty passive in that I didn't do anything with my right shoulder and just let my left arm do all the work.

I assumed that there was some kind of interaction between the ortho surgeon and the physical therapist since they are both part of the hospital here at FT Knox. I told the physical therapist today what the ortho surgeon said so they backed off on what they had me doing.
Old 08-20-2014, 15:17   #41
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

I can easily see your point,

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-16-2018 at 10:30.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 15:21   #42
Lighthouse
Auxiliary

Been using this recently myself

http://www.govx.com/p/12716/hyperice...mpression-wrap
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 19:07   #43
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Lighthouse, thanks, I've been checking that product out.

Well, I've got Thursday through Sunday with no PT appts, I,m just going to do the pendulum swings and relax until my next PT appt on Monday.
Old 08-20-2014, 23:34   #44
cetheridge
Guerrilla

Thumbs up

pbr549xxx,

I will assume that you got one of those spongy shoulder thingies with 2 removable ice packs or something similar that requires two people to strap it on you with velcro.

A simpler and cheap method that works fantastic for me (YMMV) is to use the 2 ice packs side-by-side in the bottom of a pillow case. Fold the excess material on one side of the packs and place it in the freezer. Get it out when you need it, and when you're finished put it back in the freezer....pillow case and all. The packs will lay on top and around the shoulder joint and you will feel the cold better.

If the PT gave you some exercises in addition to the pendulums to do at home...do them everyday. Don't let the joint get stiff and lock down. Onward and Upward.

SFA M-12786
Old 08-21-2014, 01:25   #45
spherojon
Guerrilla

Right shoulder, had surgery in 2010, 70% in 6 months 100% in about a year.

1. Listen to your Ortho.
2. Learn to love your sling. (Sleeping like a vampire blows, learn to love it.)
3. Listen to the Physical Therapist.
4. Electrotherapy with Ice. This was a life saver.
5. It is a long path to recovery. Do it right the first time. Don't re-injure yourself!
6. Did I mention the sling? Pay the money, get a comfortable sling with neck pads.
7. Don't get too crazy with the pain meds.

I hope you don't drive a stick shift like I did at the time...That was a fun experience.