Old 08-07-2013, 08:54   #16
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by judcargile View Post
The open bolt also will help to increase the rate of fire and with the safety of having the bolt held in the open position, this design in an M4 type rifle can actually be used with true high capacity magazines such as Surefire's 60 round and even 100 round design or you could use Beta drums and have a smaller and lighter squad automatic weapon for less money than the traditional FN designs of belt-fed SAW.
Just throw a front sight on this sucker: M231 Firing Port Weapon and call it a day (M231 info is about the 5th paragraph down)

From the article (snip):

Quote:
The M231 has a much shorter barrel than the M16, and also doesn’t have a front sight. You’ll notice at the front, it is designed to screw into the ball joint of a firing port. In addition, because it is intended to be fired form the port, it has no buttstock, just the buffer tube to hold the action spring. But the most significant changes to the weapon are internal.

Whereas the M16 series rifles fire from a closed bolt, and are selective fire, the M231 fires from an open bolt, and is only capable of fully automatic fire. It also has a much, much higher cyclic rate of fire than the M16 series. Instead of firing at about 600 rounds per minute, the M231 fires at about 1,100 rounds per minute. That little 30 round magazine doesn’t last long.
Just a little background on me if you want it, I served 10 years (Army) as a small arms repairer/fire control systems repairer (45B/45G). I am curious as to the benefit to those who would be using an open bolt, full-auto only designed rifle as opposed to a shorty SAW. I am not and have not been in SOF, but are there that many problems in the field with SAW's jamming or having feeding issues that would constitute a very expensive change like this? I'm all for innovation, but I also believe "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke

Last edited by BryanK; 08-07-2013 at 09:04.
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:37   #17
judcargile
BANNED USER

One thing I have noticed as the ones who had the ability to contribute and give my request motive force actually responded in private.

The ones who felt compelled to give me "the business" over this had to do it publicly.

Simple really, I choose not to argue the point. I simply have better uses for my time. Not everyone is going to take the time to get to know me and not everyone is going to like any given thing a person comes up with.

I STILL invite anyone with knowledge specific to an open-bolt on an AR platform contact me. I have questions for you.

Nothing else is anything more than interesting, and that is being generous.
judcargile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:54   #18
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Quote:
One thing I have noticed as the ones who had the ability to contribute and give my request motive force actually responded in private.

The ones who felt compelled to give me "the business" over this had to do it publicly.

Simple really, I choose not to argue the point. I simply have better uses for my time. Not everyone is going to take the time to get to know me and not everyone is going to like any given thing a person comes up with.

I STILL invite anyone with knowledge specific to an open-bolt on an AR platform contact me. I have questions for you.

I find that you're an arrogant asshole. Go find a hug somewhere else. You're too inept to do your own research, ask for help in a completely unprofessional manner, then look down your nose at those who didn't add value or interest? Do you plan on compensating those who did respond? You don't need to argue this point: You're a inexperienced rude guest here. Not sure how much more specific I can be. Those who responded to you probably had better use for their time too, but yet they stopped to help you condescending son of a bitch.

What company did you say you represented again?

Way to represent.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol

Last edited by Snaquebite; 08-07-2013 at 11:13.
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:47   #19
Pete
Quiet Professional

Hmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Well, having served in the Army in the early 90s, when a superior locked your heels and clarified something, then asked you if things we now clear, it was common to rely "crystal" as in crystal clear. Times change and so do minor traditions I suppose............
Lot's of us were in the Army in the early 90's. I must have missed the minor tradition of "crystal".

Mostly it was "Roger that, Airborne!" - SF skipped the "Airborne" bit most of the time - it was kind of an "implied task".
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:50   #20
Snaquebite
Area Commander

judcargile has reported this post:

Quote:
This is the reason that the user gave:
This entire thread has turned to complete crap. If I could delete this, I would. Please delete this post, I see nothing good can possibly come from this.

It did cross my mind to go ahead and delete the thread, however, I believe it can still have value by showing others how NOT to act when in our house.

Have a very SF day.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:55   #21
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:

I see....

You choose not to answer posts that make you and your "product" look like complete garbage. Okay. I still pose you you real world problems that you fail to address. 1. Keeping the action clean and 2. Keeping the shooter safe.

Questions you will have to answer when people actually may want to buy your.... Open bolt whatever. As someone earlier succinctly put it, you sir, are no salesman.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:59   #22
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post

It did cross my mind to go ahead and delete the thread, however, I believe it can still have value by showing others how NOT to act when in our house.

Have a very SF day.
We haven't had one of those in awhile............
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:21   #23
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post

Have a very SF day.
Agree SGM. This thread has been moved.
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 16:39   #24
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

This is what happens when you ignore the admins and staff.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote