Old 10-01-2010, 12:36   #1
fng13
Guerrilla

300 AAC Blackout

Thought some here might be interested.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...r-new-mission/

http://300aacblackout.com/resources/...-infosheet.pdf

new round that uses all standard m4 equipment other than barrel.

According to AAC, Remington is looking to mass produce the ammo to keep cost down for volume shooters.

Here is a video, pretty quiet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VivPz-Z0wAw
Old 10-01-2010, 13:03   #2
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

I am intrigued.

Wonder what ammo/component price/availability is, and would like to see more testing.

30 cal out of an AR with nothing but a barrel swap? I'm so there, although $495 for a 9" barrel does seem kinda pricey to me.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 13:13   #3
rubberneck
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Urbanovsky View Post
I am intrigued.

Wonder what ammo/component price/availability is, and would like to see more testing.

30 cal out of an AR with nothing but a barrel swap? I'm so there, although $495 for a 9" barrel does seem kinda pricey to me.

MSRP and actual price are two different animals. Since the only difference between a 5.56 gun and the 300 AAC is the barrel it is only a matter of time before quality aftermarket barrels hit the street at a price point well below $495, even faster if Remington actually supports the cartridge unlike the 6.8 SPC. As it is Noveske already makes a barrel chambered in the 300 Fireball and my understanding is the 300 AAC is essentially a SAMMI approved 300 Fireball.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 13:53   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
SUPERSONIC: 970/821 RPM suppressed/unsuppressed
with 300 BLK ammo using Sierra 155 grain New Palma
MatchKing at 1776 fps.

Isn't this similar to the 134 year old 30-30 Winchester,,
And as mentioned, the 66 year old 7.62x39 Russian??

So far, I am not impressed..

If the future of CQB warfare is planned for a battle field in a closet,,
why not use the 44 mag in a 4 inch barrel??

AT least the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC are a little better at "reach out and touch someone"..

Who is the congressman or senator pushing this??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 15:17   #5
fng13
Guerrilla

Based one the links I posted and further reading on silencertalk.com it seems like the main purpose of this round was its impressive subsonic db levels, along with it being ballistically similar to 7.62x39, without the problems associated with adapting that round to the ar-15 platform.

Essentially I think this was to make a relatively quiet round that will work in the standard ar-15/m4 platform and still be a decent performer out of a short barrel. (I think they percieve the advantage is in adopting the whole package including their silencer, rather than just the round itself)

Agree though it seems that they just made .300 whisper a standard cartridge along with the ability to adapt it to this platform in the easiest way possible.
Old 10-01-2010, 15:23   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fng13 View Post
Agree though it seems that they just made .300 whisper a standard cartridge along with the ability to adapt it to this platform in the easiest way possible.
Ding ding ding!

Sounds to me like they took JD's idea and are trying to go mainstream with it.

The .300 Whisper is a good round, and you do not need the 7.62x51 case capacity if you are going to be using subsonic rounds.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 17:18   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

Does anyone have any 1st-person trigger time on a 300 Blackout?

If a guy was going to get one with the intent of using it on hogs, what would be a good ammo/optic combination? Standard ammo - no plans or desire for a suppressor and subsonic ammo. Just looking for a "semi automatic 30-30"

Scope? Red dot?
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 21:37   #8
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Does anyone have any 1st-person trigger time on a 300 Blackout?

If a guy was going to get one with the intent of using it on hogs, what would be a good ammo/optic combination? Standard ammo - no plans or desire for a suppressor and subsonic ammo. Just looking for a "semi automatic 30-30"

Scope? Red dot?
Currently have a 1x6 Vortex Strike Eagle on mine. Had an AimPoint M3; wasn't as happy with it. Supersonic hunting ammo is 110 to 130 gr. ballistic tip; Barnes, Sierra, or Nosler. Holler if you want to "try before you buy".
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:16   #9
frostfire
Area Commander

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fng13 View Post
Based one the links I posted and further reading on silencertalk.com it seems like the main purpose of this round was its impressive subsonic db levels, along with it being ballistically similar to 7.62x39, without the problems associated with adapting that round to the ar-15 platform.

Essentially I think this was to make a relatively quiet round that will work in the standard ar-15/m4 platform and still be a decent performer out of a short barrel. (I think they percieve the advantage is in adopting the whole package including their silencer, rather than just the round itself)

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/..._campaign=0717

More comparison to murky the water

If you're not reloading, not stuck in AR platform, and not into psssshhhhh, you want to hunt with 7.62x39, Billy. Hornady SST and cheap Russian 8m3 comes to mind.

I must admit though that $499 Palmetto in .300 blackout is something special
Out of the box and smoother shooting, which is irrelevant in hunting shooting pace context

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:18   #10
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
I must admit though that $499 Palmetto in .300 blackout
Do you have a link to this?
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:23   #11
Box
Quiet Professional

I looked at the 7.62x39 version from the same company. The easy availability and low cost of surplus ammo is a really good selling point. A major downside is that it they are not super-reliable with M4 magazines.

I have a lower that needs a mate - I even looked (VERY briefly) at a 458-SOCOM. Upwards of 50 bucks for a 20 round box of ammo..... HA
300 Blackout is no more/less expensive than 30-30 or 7.62 NATO which is a good selling point to me. AK ammo is only "cheap" when it is the military surplus style steel case with berdan primers. Quality brass/boxer ammo for 7.62x39 costs the same as 300 Blackout.

I really really really did get pretty close to getting the 7.62x39 upper but the ammo/magazine combination pushed me over to the 300.
...now I need to find a sighting system so I don't have to shoot it like a shotgun.

I am almost certainly going to put a low power scope on the rifle - I am just not sure what I want to buy.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:49   #12
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Do you have a link to this?
Never mind, found it...out of stock.

After reading a lot of reviews I've decided to get a .300 Blackout AR Pistol and a suppressor as home defense weapon. Not having to invest in different magazines than what I already have is nice benefit.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:57   #13
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Well if haven't all ready bought the upper you should look at the 7.62x40. It is the 5.56 trimmed back to 40 mm and open up to 7.62 so it is very reliable in the AR platform.
If you handload brass is cheap.
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/7-62x40-wt-rifles/

As for scopes the Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35 is an excellent one.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:17   #14
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

A great advantage of the 300 is it's versatility on the reloading bench. Data and components are plentiful thanks to the readily available 308 cal bullets on the market. 110 to 265 grains to tailor to both your supersonic and suppressed needs. The brass is a bit more finicky, and good quality brass is a must. I am finding out that not all brass is equal.

I personally love running sub rounds out of a 9mm can, saves me the 12+ month wait for a 30 Cal can. Not that I'm not waiting for water to boil, but still, a good 9mm can handle subsonic 300's.

Proof your magazines though. If you are running the heavier 220 grn bullets you might find your 5.56mm magazines protest. 220 grains can challenge mag's designed for a 55 grn especially if she has and 29 of her friends with her. Fortunately mag producers are strengthening the mag springs and designing 300 AAC specific mags.

Over all, I am glad I started to play with the 300 BO/ AAC.

As for sights, you know the deal. What range are you shooting for? A simple red dot could fit the bill. I have both a TR1 and a shorty EoTech that line up perfectly with my Troy Industry Diamond head sights.

The 300 BO World is your oyster,,,,

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:16   #15
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Vortex, Viper, PST Gen II, 1 x 6 w/VMR-2 Reticle (MRAD). Get it off of Experticity. (Or I'll sell you my Strike Eagle reasonable so I can justify getting one myself! ) If you don't want to spend the bucks for a LaRue or Geissele mount, check out the Warne ones; they have cool colors and can withstand the abuse of 3-gun.

doctom54 makes a good recommendation WRT the Wilson 7.62 x 40. I may go ahead and build another upper in that caliber just for the fun of it. Bad news is - you'll have to get into handloading to realize max potential for either cartridge.

Magpul just announced the release of their dedicated 300BLK mags to address issues blue02hd discusses; I'll be grabbing a few to test shortly.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote