Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Deactivated SF Units

Old 08-30-2009, 16:04   #1
Hilmar Kullek
Quiet Professional

USAPSSE -Berlin

Like to add US Army Physical Security Support Element - Berlin (USAPSSE-B). The unit was located in Building 817 at Roosevelt Barracks. The element was embedded within the Berlin PM office. Date of activation was 16 April 1984 - deactivation was 15 August 1990. As a former retired member of Det 'A' I had the opportunity and also access as a civilian to support the unit in security and other matters.
Would like to add the following info in re of my last (above) contribution USAPSSE-Berlin
This is the Unit's History (unclas): Terrorism and its threat to Americans has long time been a concern of the United States. To counter this threat and enhance the security of government facilities, the US Army developed, organized, and activated the United States Army Physical Security Support Element-Berlin (PSSE-B) on 16 April 1984, and tasked to analyze and conduct facility vulnerability surveys. The USA Physical Security Support Element-Berlin since its activation, has had a significant impact on the security of US personnel living and working overseas. During its short tenure, PSSE-B has conducted in excess of 100 extensive vulnerability surveys and analyses of military installations, government quarters, and US Embassys in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. The information furnished in these surveys and analyses has provided important data needed to secure facilities against those intent on destruction and injury to our fellow citizens, Living up to our motto "Fuer die Sicherheit", the members of PSSE-B continue to dedicate their time and resources to the welfare and safety of our felllow Americans.
This Unit History was published on 01 June 1990 during the last Change of Command Ceremony before the unit's deactivation on 15 August 1990

Last edited by Hilmar Kullek; 09-04-2009 at 14:55.
Hilmar Kullek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 18:11   #2
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Hilmar, I remember putting up some of the guys from Devens over in Roosevelt when they came over for some City Training - they had a good sized class room there too, but until now, never relized that Det A moved over there. That was mainly the place where we got our Building Work orders taken care of.

LIke your Avatar too Hilmar - good job.
Old 08-31-2009, 13:45   #3
Hilmar Kullek
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Hilmar, I remember putting up some of the guys from Devens over in Roosevelt when they came over for some City Training - they had a good sized class room there too, but until now, never relized that Det A moved over there. That was mainly the place where we got our Building Work orders taken care of.

LIke your Avatar too Hilmar - good job.
Bob FYI - PSSE was a new element - Det 'A' was deactivated. Glad you liked the 'patch'. As Always Hilmar
Old 08-31-2009, 15:10   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilmar Kullek View Post
Bob FYI - PSSE was a new element - Det 'A' was deactivated. Glad you liked the 'patch'. As Always Hilmar
Welcome to the board....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 17:18   #5
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Hilmar, From our PM I just missed you in the 11th and then in the 10th,looking forward to meeting you someday at a reunion,but unfortunately it's going to have to be in the US because I doubt I'll ever get back to Germany again.........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 14:45   #6
Hilmar Kullek
Quiet Professional

Big Teddy

Hello 'Big Teddy' -
Really too bad - but.... as I always say never say never - never say always.
We'll see! I'll be for the next three weeks in Tirol with family - enjoying retirement. 'Big Teddy' I don't even know your first name, however, my feeling says we are correspnding on the same frequency. A friendly 'hello' from Berlin Germany!

As Always

Hilmar
Old 09-03-2009, 10:06   #7
Hilmar Kullek
Quiet Professional

USAPSSE-B

Please add the following info in re of my last contribution USAPSSE-Berlin. This is the Unit's History (unclas):

Quote:
Terrorism and its threat to Americans has long been a concern of the United States. To counter this threat and enhance the security of government facilities, the US Army developed, organized, and activated the United States Army Physical Security Support Element-Berlin (PSSE-B) on 16 April 1984, and tasked it to analyze and conduct facility vulnerability surveys.

The USA Physical Security Support Element-Berlin has, since its activation, had a significant impact on the security of US personnel living and working overseas. During its short tenure, PSSE-B has conducted in excess of 100 extensive vulnerability surveys and analyses of military installations, governmant quarters, and US Embassys in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. The information furnished in these surveys and analyses has provided important data needed to secure facilities against those intent on destruction and injury to our fellow citizens.

Living up to our motto "Fuer die Sicherheit", the members of PSSE-B continue to dedicate their time and resources to the welfare and safety of our felllow Americans.

This Unit History was published on 01 June 1990 during the last Change of Command Ceremony before the unit's deactivation on 15 August 1990.

Last edited by Hilmar Kullek; 09-03-2009 at 14:13.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:11   #8
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Please add the following info in re of my last contribution USAPSSE-Berlin
This is the Unit's History (unclas): Terrorism and its threat to Americans has long time been a concern of the United States. To counter this threat and enhance the security of government facilities, the US Army developed, organized, and activated the United States Army Physical Security Support Element-Berlin (PSSE-B) on 16 April 1984, and tasked to analyze and conduct facility vulnerability surveys. The USA Physical Security Support Element-Berlin since its activation, has had a significant impact on the security of US personnel living and working overseas. During its short tenure, PSSE-B has conducted in excess of 100 extensive vulnerability surveys and analyses of military installations, governmant quarters, and US Embassys in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. The information furnished in these surveys and analyses has provided important data needed to secure facilities against those intent on destruction and injury to our fellow citizens, Living up to our motto "Fuer die Sicherheit", the members of PSSE-B continue to dedicate their time and resources to the welfare and safety of our felllow Americans.
This Unit History was published on 01 June 1990 during the last Change of Command Ceremony before the units deactivation on 15 August 1990.

Thanks Hilmar - I looked for some info on that morphed version of Det A (I know you said it was not Det A - but taking the stirpes off a tiger won't confuse the tiger, just everybody else).

I could not find anything, so your info above helps me to visualize what they were about. I will have to sit down with you at the Stammtisch sometime to take a closer look at that Tiger.

Oh by the way - what ever happend ot the "Det-A Day Room?"
Old 09-05-2009, 14:12   #9
Hilmar Kullek
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thanks Hilmar - I looked for some info on that morphed version of Det A (I know you said it was not Det A - but taking the stirpes off a tiger won't confuse the tiger, just everybody else).

I could not find anything, so your info above helps me to visualize what they were about. I will have to sit down with you at the Stammtisch sometime to take a closer look at that Tiger.

Oh by the way - what ever happend ot the "Det-A Day Room?"
Hello 'ole comrade in arms' -
Thanks for the response. Too bad we could not have a close look at this 'Tiger' at a Stammtisch. I agree fully with your mail. In re to Det'A' dayroom. I managed to rescue a socalled 'safe' chair. The rest http://www.sergeantsmajor.org/VSF.htm
look at the photos! Building 904 does not excist anymore.
Have a great weekend! As Always Hilmar
Old 09-05-2009, 17:18   #10
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Hello 'ole comrade in arms' -
Thanks for the response. Too bad we could not have a close look at this 'Tiger' at a Stammtisch. I agree fully with your mail. In re to Det'A' dayroom. I managed to rescue a socalled 'safe' chair. The rest http://www.sergeantsmajor.org/VSF.htm
look at the photos! Building 904 does not excist anymore.
Have a great weekend! As Always Hilmar
Brought some tears to my eyes - seeing that building torn down. That was one tough building - had they not torn it down, it would have probably sood for a 1000 years.

Is the Pool still there?
Old 09-06-2009, 13:59   #11
Hilmar Kullek
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Brought some tears to my eyes - seeing that building torn down. That was one tough building - had they not torn it down, it would have probably sood for a 1000 years.

Is the Pool still there?
The pool is still there, however completely new renovated. The 10 meter Tower is gone. Remember, one of our '108' comrades used it once and brook his arm. The city wanted to tear down the pool - building, however, the building is under 'Denkmalsschutz' (was build 1936 for the Olympics). It's now in use for 'Polizei' and 'Sportsvereine ' and sometimes 'Schulen'. The rest of the area (what's left) ist occupied currently by elements of the 'Bundesarchiv' governmental institution. By the end of next week I'll be gone for a two weeks trip to Tirol with 'frequent' stopovers in Bad Toelz, Garmisch and Berchtesgaden - www.berchtesgaden.com/vorderbrand - for a travel into the past and memorable skiing time (winter warfare-training) with Det 'A'. By the way, is the listed E-Mail address in the Det 'A' roster still valid?

That's it for now (we need a 'Stammtisch' session ;-) !!!

As Always Hilmar
Old 09-06-2009, 14:48   #12
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The pool is still there, however completely new renovated. The 10 meter Tower is gone. Remember, one of our '108' comrades used it once and brook his arm. The city wanted to tear down the pool - building, however, the building is under 'Denkmalsschutz' (was build 1936 for the Olympics). It's , is the listed E-Mail address in the Det 'A' roster still valid?

That's it for now (we need a 'Stammtisch' session ;-) !!!

As Always Hilmar

I am glad to know they saved the Pool. A 50 Meter Olympic Pool with Historical significance dating back to 1936 - should be saved.

Yes the email address is accurate.

Last edited by Mitch; 09-06-2009 at 14:52.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 14:13   #13
Hilmar Kullek
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I am glad to know they saved the Pool. A 50 Meter Olympic Pool with Historical significance dating back to 1936 - should be saved.

Yes the email address is accurate.
Just an 'Abmeldung', my friend. We will be leaving "big B" by the end of this week and travel southwards to the 'ole stomping grounds'. Expected time of return on/about the end of September. Take care! As Always Hilmar
Old 09-17-2009, 10:03   #14
Hatchetforce
Quiet Professional

A lot of Det A items were stored and wound up in the PSSE lockers. I spent a tour there and there were still a great many Det A hand me downs around.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:32   #15
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Hilmar,
Thank you for the link. I checked out the website. Some great memories in those photos. I spent some time in the city, but it was in the dark-days before I went to the Q-course . I was the comm sergeant at 42nd Engineers .

R10

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote