Old 07-26-2006, 15:06   #1
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Deadly pocketknives become a $1 Billion Business

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06206/708441-28.stm
Old 07-26-2006, 15:22   #2
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

I have a very strong disagreement with this opinion, uh I mean article, and if quoted correctly, some of the guys I know who are quoted in the article.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 15:27   #3
12B4S
Quiet Professional

I was interested on your take on that article Bill. You'd know more about what was stated in the piece than anyone I can think of.
Old 07-26-2006, 15:43   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

He writes for the LA Times.

It is crap in my opinion.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 15:49   #5
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Looks to me like another "expose" along the lines of the CBS attack on the .50 rifles. Next thing somebody will be screaming for legislation banning "knives with more than three of the following characteristics----". (Wait a minute - didn't they already do that with guns?) It's all smoke and mirrors to set the stage for the slippery slope. Pretty soon we'll look just like Great Britain. FWIW - Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 15:50   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
He writes for the LA Times.

It is crap in my opinion.

No - he "lefts" for the LA Times. Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 15:54   #7
slcraig
Quiet Professional

Most definitely a crap article...
slcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 15:57   #8
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Knives, even 'tactical' knives are tools. A screwdriver is as good as a tactical knife in many cases, or a sharp stick, or a rock, or a nicely aimed strike to the throat.... most of these idiots are going to hurt themselves before they hurt somebody else. I gave up my bullet launchers because of the hassle, but these goons are not getting my knives.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 16:02   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
Huh?

I'm a little tired. kgoerz made me do about 10,572 live fire mag changes this morning. Damn slave driver!
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 16:15   #10
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
Cute, in a subtul sorta way.
Old 07-26-2006, 16:19   #11
Bill Harsey

Without doing a point by point rebuttal of this editorial disguised as an article please allow me to touch on a couple glaring points of both unproven and
un-informed statements.
About the knife parts found in the wreckage of the hijacked airliners of 9-11,
How in the hell can that be said to have been parts of knives used by the hijackers when every law abiding citizen who both carries a knife and flies, stows the damn knife, legally, in their checked luggage that is then placed on that flight.

"Tactical knife", anyone want to define that? I can.

edited to add: good responses to this before i hit submit button.

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 07-26-2006 at 16:26.
Old 07-26-2006, 16:44   #12
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Why does a law abiding citizen need one of these?

http://www.coldsteel.com/nise.html

The company's founders, owners, and members are socially irresponsible and should their products be used illegally, I hope they lose everything they own and rot in jail for pre-meditated stupidity.

Edited for clarity: My issue isn't the blades, but rather the material with which they are produced.

Last edited by Warrior-Mentor; 07-26-2006 at 16:47.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 17:13   #13
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor

The company's founders, owners, and members are socially irresponsible and should their products be used illegally, I hope they lose everything they own and rot in jail for pre-meditated stupidity.

Edited for clarity: My issue isn't the blades, but rather the material with which they are produced.
Take that up with the owner of the company. I don't make those.

The other side is, what materials are we going to start making illegal to produce knives out of?
The owner is still responsible for the legal carry and use of those knives just like with firearms or anything else that can be used as a weapon like the rock or the stick mentioned by x_sf_med here.
Old 07-26-2006, 17:35   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Well, by extension of that logic, gunmakers are responsible for firearms violence and fast food makers for obesity.

"My M-4 made me commit a crime." "My 'Vette made me get a ticket." "Why does anyone need 30 rounds?" "Who needs a car that can go three times the national speed limit?" "I am a victim of my possessions!" "Protect me, Namby State!"

I believe that I will have to agree to disagree and say that IMHO, you should be able to buy anything you can make out of cold steel.

You use it inappropriately around me and I should be able to make a hole in you big enough I can throw a cat through.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 18:43   #15
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:

WM-
there were a few times back in the dark days of the Cold War, that a dozen of those in the ruck would have come in real handy -cheap, sharp, no glare, light. Even now, in my area, they are tempting to have, as a way to be 'carrying' through metal detectors in buildings - my little Gerber drop blade (2") sets them off, but it does have one ID Tag chained to it. It's a nice defense tool.

I agree that they are somewhat irresponsible, due to the marketing, but I'm a knife guy, have been since before I joined the service, and look at knives differently than the average person (as do most of the people on this site) they are tools - multi-purpose tools, lifesaving or lifetaking tools depending on the situation. I agree with your unstated premise that they should notbe made available to the general public - the gang bangers, the unbalanced - at a low price.

Personal and social Responsibility rules, in all things.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote