Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 11-03-2016, 15:42   #31
LarryW
Area Commander

TR, what I found to be especially useful is your advice to prepare for food and gas shortages from now thru (probably) Spring. Respectfully suggest if one is relying on a bug-out option should the SHTF (vs garrison in place) to make a practice run from home base to that location, being mindful that if one has to bug-out all the main roads (Interstates & other 4-lanes) are probably going to be jammed. By-ways are better, so get good maps (don't rely on GPS).

In addition to a 1903 Springfield I have a Winchester .357 mag and a 870 in 16ga. I have what I think is a good supply of ammo (.357 and rifled slugs for the 870), but because "I think is good" tells me I don't know shit and need more. Below is a link to a cartridge source in OR that I've used, and have found the ammo to be reliable and consistent in good performance.

https://www.grizzlycartridge.com/
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 16:14   #32
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
TR, what I found to be especially useful is your advice to prepare for food and gas shortages from now thru (probably) Spring. Respectfully suggest if one is relying on a bug-out option should the SHTF (vs garrison in place) to make a practice run from home base to that location, being mindful that if one has to bug-out all the main roads (Interstates & other 4-lanes) are probably going to be jammed. By-ways are better, so get good maps (don't rely on GPS).

In addition to a 1903 Springfield I have a Winchester .357 mag and a 870 in 16ga. I have what I think is a good supply of ammo (.357 and rifled slugs for the 870), but because "I think is good" tells me I don't know shit and need more. Below is a link to a cartridge source in OR that I've used, and have found the ammo to be reliable and consistent in good performance.

That reminds me that I need to invest in a shotgun and ammo for it.
Old 11-03-2016, 20:53   #33
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post

I am a fan of picking a good place to live and stay, rather than bugging out. I am getting too old to be on the road afoot. I do have family and friends I could drop in on, but I do not see the circumstances where that would be better than my current location.

Good weapons, but .357 could be difficult to find, and as a former 16 Gauge owner, that stuff is nearly impossible to locate, especially in buckshot loads.

My Winchester .357 carbine has also been finnicky, especially with .38 loads. Hope yours are better.

Love the '03.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 23:16   #34
LarryW
Area Commander

Yes, sir, TR. All very good gouge. The .38 is for the 3" wheel gun out in my truck. The Winchester uses .357 only. Yes, have suffered the finicky attitude of .38's in the Winchester. They are just that much too short for smooth action. .357 are fine but lousy if cycling is slow. One has to be deliberate and intentional. The 16ga is admittedly a hi-bred, but I picked it up cheap a few years back. Great condition and something to fill in for a house gun anyway. The thing thrives on rifled slugs (about the same ballistic performance as a .45-70 Govt). Cost for 16ga slugs is about $1/round (at least right now). Prefer ball ammo vice frangible stuff, too. Better penetratio0n. When using buckshot I prefer #1 vice 00. There's not enough difference between .33 cal (00) and .30 cal (#1) for me to sneeze at, and with singles I get more pellets/round. The '03 will put meat on the table if I stay in North America, and I have laid up a good amount of .30-06 ammo. Love it, and with the bayonet it adds a certain visual impression.

Yes, sir, I'm too well seasoned to abandon the garrison life and go a roving thru zombie-land. I'll stay put. I have a good backup of red beans and rice (6mos worth, plus) and enough room for a patch of potatoes and greens when the beans run low. There's a small year round spring fed stream that adjoins the back of the property. Enough hard wood around for kindling and a fire.

For recreation I'm a student of the French Resistance. At my age I find it reasonable to conclude being less visible is best. Just being the old fool who keeps to himself is a better profile for me. Type casting, actually. The dog agrees.

In the end there's only so much one can do if the bubble really goes up. Mine won't be for not fighting back, however.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 14:01   #35
Penn
Area Commander

Protest in seven cities

On going...?

Yesterday, I found two comments to be rather odd, one was made by Juan XXX, on the Five at Fox news. He stated 'Not my President", and one was made by VAN XXX the Black cohost on various CNN panels. He stated that the election felt like a "Whitelash"....both of those were exclusionary statements, and seemed unnecessary as well as divisive. At odds with the P/Elect, POTUS, and Clinton's come together remarks.

Will it grow and become violent?

The protest that are happening now are using both as rally calls, that requires planning before the election results were in for it to occur today in seven cities simultaneously.

Last edited by Penn; 11-09-2016 at 14:09.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 14:06   #36
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
On going...?

What a boring news cycle without discord.

Trolling.... I'm sure someone will bite

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 14:10   #37
Penn
Area Commander

no F'IN TROLL HERE.....Turn on CNN
Old 11-09-2016, 14:13   #38
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
On going...?

Yesterday, I found two comments to be rather odd, one was made by Juan XXX, on the Five at Fox news. He stated 'Not my President", and one was made by VAN XXX the Black cohost on various CNN panels. He stated that the election felt like a "Whitelash"....both of those were exclusionary statements, and seemed unnecessary as well as divisive. At odds with the P/Elect, POTUS, and Clinton's come together remarks.

The protest that are happening now are using both as rally calls, that requires planning before the election results were in for it to occur today in seven cities simultaneously.
Juan XXX at FOX can thank his lucky stars that FOX feels sorry for stray dogs.
Old 11-09-2016, 14:33   #39
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Yes sir.

Wait, watch and see.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 14:43   #40
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Penn, Not in reference to you....

No slight intended

I read the Moveon blog post seeking to inspire reactions.

James Madison
Old 11-09-2016, 14:54   #41
Penn
Area Commander

RET10E, my misunderstanding, my sincere apologies for over reacting, I must be getting soft...I'll check out www.moveon.org, is that correct?
Old 11-09-2016, 15:27   #42
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Breaking news in Seattle.

Five victims of gun shots as part of protests in Seattle.

Don't know if it's protesters or bystanders. It was a major intersection in the shopping district.

Yes, it's going to get worse.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 16:50   #43
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
BOO HOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
Breaking news in Seattle.

Five victims of gun shots as part of protests in Seattle.

Don't know if it's protesters or bystanders. It was a major intersection in the shopping district.

Yes, it's going to get worse.
Culling the herd.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 19:21   #44
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Update to shooting: just typical random shooting in downtown Seattle. 3rd and Pike where all the drugies hang out waiting for social services to provide them with free heroine. Nothing to see here, move along.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 22:39   #45
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...I'll check out www.moveon.org, is that correct?
That's the place

James Madison