Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 07-03-2013, 04:31   #1
BillFishJr
Asset

ANGRC109 + 1 each 'shitfist'

i just wanted to post two links i discovered that hold a wealth on history and usage of our indomitable RS-1.

best memory is using a desk lamp bulb socket for a PS and a 1/4 wave L taped to the ceiling of a motel room 120 miles from my SFOB at Bragg.

http://www.militaryradio.com/spyradio/grc109.html
and also
http://www.n6cc.com/angrc-109-special-forces-radio-set

ditty dah dah ditty.....

i just wanted to post two links i discovered that hold a wealth on history and usage of our indomitable RS-1.

best memory is using a desk lamp bulb socket for a PS and a 1/4 wave L taped to the ceiling of a motel room 120 miles from my SFOB at Bragg.

and also

they're are so few of us left.
BillFishJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23   #2
glebo
Quiet Professional

wow, great stuff. Truly a classic. Compared to todays systems, the 109's versatility is unmatched...
Old 07-03-2013, 09:20   #3
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Please note the proximity of the antenna post and the tuning knob. I have had more than a few RF burns from that proximity during my few years with that radio. Even after I would bend the wire so the end was pointing away, I would some how find a way to come in contact while tuning. Anyone wlsw have that problem?

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:31   #4
Badger52
Area Commander

Thanks for sharing! Had seen the first piece, but Tim's article at N6CC makes me wanna grab the KX3 and accoutrements and head up high somewhere. Cool stuff.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFishJr View Post

and also

ditty dah dah ditty.....

and also

they're are so few of us left.
You guys are my hero's, I went from 18B to 18E and it was the only time I ever contemplated shooting myself.....
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 15:10   #6
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Please note the proximity of the antenna post and the tuning knob. I have had more than a few RF burns from that proximity during my few years with that radio. Even after I would bend the wire so the end was pointing away, I would some how find a way to come in contact while tuning. Anyone wlsw have that problem?
I only messed with the 109 in the beginning of commo school. The PRC-74 was the heat then. It would also bite ya. Towards the end they came out and showed us this nice new multi-function...PRC70...AKA BOAT ANCHOR.

It did make a good base radio though, especially on a power supply...PP-6148??

Batteries sucked, DMDG sucked...had to sleep with them....and not for the "good" reason...LOL
Old 07-03-2013, 18:25   #7
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Mixed emotions about the Angry 109. It would definitely make commo, I think I made commo with it around 500 miles. Maybe close to 1000 miles on one trip. It has been too long to remember exactly. When I could, I used a bug to send code when we were at a base camp but the leg key or the integral key out in the field. I thought the burst device was worthless, never made commo with it. And yes, I had RF burns regularly...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 18:51   #8
glebo
Quiet Professional

M46, correct, the 109 was only made for short/med range commo. I can't remember what the exact freq range was, or what came in the crystal set.

The PRC-74 only went up to 17.999 MHZ, so that limited range also. However, the PRC-70 went up to a whopping 30 MHZ, which opened up the "long range" HF commo.

We first used them in the DTP tng program 5th GP had in the mid 80's around the McGregor/Donna Anna/Oro Grande areas.

Next we went to Kenya and hit Bragg from there...I'd classify that as "long range"...

The 70 did have it's nuances though when it first came out...

Then here came SATCOM, with the ever so eloquent URC-101...LOL
Old 07-03-2013, 19:34   #9
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Mark, at 10th, on field exercises, you only used the burst device and I never had any trouble with it. Except when I was half asleep and proceeded to erase a tape I had just loaded.

John Yancy was not amused.

The 109, IIRC, was originally made for the OSS and comms from Occupied Europe to Britain. Made that shot on a regular basis.

I did hate George the hand crank prick. I swear some guys tuned extra long just to see you grind that sucker out.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:39   #10
mojaveman
Area Commander

If I got my information right the 109 was made in two versions, one for the military and another for clandestine operators working for the CIA in Third World locations. It was designed to be operated by someone with little expertise in HF radio communiactions. It would load just about any type of antenna and was produced in a three piece modular configuration that included small components that would be easy to hide. We had one of those as well as a few PRC-74s complete with coder burster devices in the Battalion communications locker.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:29   #11
Hartley
Quiet Professional

AN/GRC-109

We used the 109 in TG, but I never took one to the field after graduation ('72). Had 'em in the team box clear up 'til I left in '78, though.

When I was Sr. Radio Op on ODA-5 in Tolz, as an amusement I set out to re-create the original matching serial numbered sets by swapping with other teams - I had one complete set and one where only one power supply didn't match - it was amusing to watch the inspector when reading off the serial numbers - all the same - receiver, transmitter, two power supplies, voltage converter and generator..

Hartley
Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:58   #12
PTF Guy
Asset

Hi guys - I am continuing with some research on infantry field radios, specifically the RS-1 / GRC-109. Not a whole lot written about their usage on foot patrols; their use as a camp or backup camp radio is pretty well established. So a question is this: How much was the RS-1 / GRC-109 used in long range patrols and in what theaters / time frames?
Also, same question regarding the AN/TRC-77 (6 Channel HF CW portable) first appearing in the early 1960's. Comments?
Many thanks in advance; I'm trying to fill in some holes in the history and employment of these sets.
Tim N6CC
didahdidahdit
PTF Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 14:30   #13
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
I hated the 109. You ask why? Not because of the radio, but because of the bench seat that held the generator for cranking. Jumping that seat was a literal pain in the ass ... as well as carting it around the UWOA. As the XO I always seemed to get the short end of the stick which meant I got the bench seat ....

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 15:00   #14
Hartley
Quiet Professional

Seat?

You hated the seat? On my teams the XO got the generator - not as long, but a LOT heavier.

Hartley
Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 21:00   #15
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley View Post
You hated the seat? On my teams the XO got the generator - not as long, but a LOT heavier.

Hartley
I got the generator once, and didn't mind it at all, because I could fit it in my ruck. But the seat, you couldn't fit it anywhere without it banging you on the legs or the arms or ... you get the idea. And not just during the jump; hauling that piece of #$$%^ through the woods/jungle was a pain in the ass.

Just my $ .02.

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote