Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 05-02-2011, 14:18   #1
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Xterra triathlon

Anyone jumping and doing this??

Military Rec: Fort Bragg prepares for Xterra

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 14:28   #2
perdurabo
Guerrilla

I've never gotten the triathlon bug. My running and cycling are strong, but I have absolutely no endurance for swimming. Do any of you tri people have recommendations for getting up to speed.

I started out with the Total Immersion program a few years back and that worked wonders in short order, but I plateaued rather quickly & lost cheap access to a pool shortly thereafter.
perdurabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 14:40   #3
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

perdurabo,

I'm right there with you on the swimming. I've done halfs, endurance races and century rides, but the water was never my strong point. I tend to muscle through my strokes and exert a lot more energy than necessary. Anyone who's analyzed me says, "Well, it LOOKS like you're doing it right ..."

A half and full tri are on my bucket list, so I'll either work on my efficiency or rely on my stubbornness and cardio endurance. Should be fun regardless.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:17   #4
FXCOfire
Asset

Tempting to try and make the FT Bragg Xterra

swimming- no mention was made whether working out alone or in a masters class. Masters groups have varying degrees of coaching experience. I was at Gearge Mason University last year. The Masters coach was the NCAA coach as well.

FXCOfire
FXCOfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:21   #5
CW1287
Asset

I was doing Triathlons before I entered the miltary, and I have found that long hours in the pool help with technique. The more tired you are the more you focus on the techincal aspect. Later I found there is an easier way. I usually start slow and work solely on proper technique, the better the technique the less resistance, the faster you are. Basically Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. I am with you all swimming is the toughest.....just wait until game day when you try and get out of the water!!! Word of advice, take 2 seconds to walk when you get to the beach so you don't find yourself on the wrong end of a face plant.
CW1287 is offline   Reply With Quote