Old 06-13-2018, 16:50   #1
Gusto16
Asset

Ranger School Before SFAS?

I just want to start this off by saying if this is not a good question to ask or it should not be asked, just say the word and I will delete it. The last thing I want to do is get off on the wrong foot. Anyways Im currently in the 82nd ABN DIV as an 11b , 19 years of age and am looking for some advice from then men who would know best. In the next 1- 2 years I would like to attend SFAS , thats my goal and I am preparing now. The thing is that I could go to Ranger School almost whenever I want , assuming I pass SURT. So my question is do you think it is smart to go to Ranger School first and then go to SFAS. Or solely focus on preparing mentally and physically for SFAS? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a good day.
Gusto16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 17:21   #2
Wake27
Asset

ETA - just realized this fell under the SF Questions subforum so I shouldn't have responded. Disregard.

Last edited by Wake27; 06-13-2018 at 19:23.
Wake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 17:41   #3
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Wake27 is correct.

If you have the opportunity to attend the Ranger Course, go ahead and do so. Getting through the Ranger Course will equip you with some important qualities and characteristics that will certainly enhance your preparation - and performance - in SFAS.

If you are on schedule for SFAS (have a class date), I would recommend you focus on this instead. However, if it is open-ended for you (no SFAS class date lined-up), go for the Ranger Course. Whether you get selected at SFAS or not at a later date, you'll be a more capable soldier with that Ranger Course experience.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:11   #4
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basenshukai View Post
Wake27 is correct.

If you have the opportunity to attend the Ranger Course, go ahead and do so. Getting through the Ranger Course will equip you with some important qualities and characteristics that will certainly enhance your preparation - and performance - in SFAS.

If you are on schedule for SFAS (have a class date), I would recommend you focus on this instead. However, if it is open-ended for you (no SFAS class date lined-up), go for the Ranger Course. Whether you get selected at SFAS or not at a later date, you'll be a more capable soldier with that Ranger Course experience.
Concur.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:49   #5
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

Get your mind right and do Ranger School first.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:24   #6
Gusto16
Asset

Thank you all for your answers. I appreciate it greatly. I will be dropping a Ranger school packet shortly.
Gusto16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 14:15   #7
exsquid
Quiet Professional

The last thing Group needs is another 21yo with zero real world experience or skills. The only thing you should be worried about is being a good soldier with a solid skill base and some real leadership time. The Deuce cares about two things leadership wise, a Ranger tab and being a Jumpmaster. Do those two things because that is what is expected at your unit and because it will help you out in the long run whether you stay CMOS 11 or come over to CMOS 18. After you make E5 and have put in some leadership time, then go to SFAS. Here is a piece of advice though, never ever mention you want to go to SFAS until you are completely ready and are handing in the paperwork to do so. The Big Army, 1SGs and CSMs especially, don't look favorably on those who, "think they are better than everybody else." I hate that guys who think their path in life is the only way to go but unfortunately that is a fact of life in the Army.

x/S
Old 06-16-2018, 20:21   #8
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Reinforcing collective wisdom... definitely go to Ranger School before SFAS. Naturally, with a generous physical recovery/trainup period between the two. You need to be at the peak of your physical game for both.

You'll find that having met the challenge of Hooah School goes a long way towards mentally mastering that later SF challenge. Different places, but similar conditioning, fortitude, teamwork, and no-quit attitude required. It won't make SFAS easier, but it also won't be your first gut-check rodeo.

Attempt SF after you've got some Junior NCO Troop Leading Time under your belt. That deeper well of experience will pay off later.

Last edited by Astronomy; 06-16-2018 at 20:26.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote