Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 04-08-2004, 17:33   #31
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

I wore my (two) 5.11 shirts while in Greece and Italy, love zippered upper right pocket for passports (mine and kids). Used the concealed carry pockets for both airline tickets and lots of tissue paper for cold. These shirts worked good. Also noted that I could wipe off stains but remember to use WHITE paper towel or napkin. The cheap yellow napkins that Lufthansa gives out with meals will stain the shirt. Boy did that piss me off, but stain came out that night in the hotel. Yes I spill a lot, my shirts have to be pretty durable. I learned my table manners while dining seated on a stump. It still shows.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 00:17   #32
GackMan
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
5.11 is very similar to the hippy clothes one sees SOTB on the bird and berry crowd.
too true.

I worked at REI in high school in 1986. I remember stocking royal robbins 'tactical' pants in colors like aqua/turquoise.

they have been around for a while.

I like the short sleeved shirts. Have almost one of evey color they make.

GackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 07:20   #33
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

We need someone with connections to get together a 5.11 GROUP BUY!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:57   #34
ktek01
Suffering from SF TDY Envy

Pretty good markdown below list price from these people, http://www.athenapolicesupply.com/ I have my order in, 4 pants, 4 shirts, and 1 vest. $39 for pants, $39 for the shirt, and $49 for the vest. I will post if I get the stuff on time and let everyone know.
ktek01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 10:01   #35
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Check with TSSI (TacSurv on the net, I think...) on purchase of 5.11 clothing, just another possible source of fair deal.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:20   #36
ktek01
Suffering from SF TDY Envy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by ktek01
Pretty good markdown below list price from these people, http://www.athenapolicesupply.com/ I have my order in, 4 pants, 4 shirts, and 1 vest. $39 for pants, $39 for the shirt, and $49 for the vest. I will post if I get the stuff on time and let everyone know.
Just wanted to let anyone who was thinking of dealing with Athena that my order was on time and everything was 100% correct. The owner was a huge help and got me all of my stuff overnight, excellent service. Great source for anyone in a hurry in the SW Florida AO, and the prices were very fair. You can order on-line and she will ship straight to you, she does carry a few items that the companies will only ship to LEOs or AD Mil, the website will ask if you are when you close out your order.

Last edited by ktek01; 04-13-2004 at 11:23.
ktek01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 13:50   #37
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by eggroll
I took the holster unit from Eagle's FAG pouch and made a module wrapper for it... I think these holsters run less than 10 bucks

EGG
Egg,

You have a picture of this holster you'd share with us? (now that I'm a 5.11 vest owner) I'm now looking for a holster that can handle a full size HK .45, and two extra mags (in another pouch)?

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 16:12   #38
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Egg,

You have a picture of this holster you'd share with us? (now that I'm a 5.11 vest owner) I'm now looking for a holster that can handle a full size HK .45, and two extra mags (in another pouch)?

TS
While you're at it, I'm looking for a holster for a compact HK USP .40.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 16:13   #39
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

LATAM all present and accounted for. Thanks guys.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 16:35   #40
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Quote:
Egg,

TS
Have you tried using the loops on the left side lower pocket for mags? Should hold 2 mags and a Surfire real easy.

As far as a holster, I used one from one of the manpurse er fanny pack holsters that I had laying around and it worked fine.

I too would be interested in a Egg holster for my vest.
Old 06-23-2004, 17:06   #41
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Psywar1-0
Have you tried using the loops on the left side lower pocket for mags? Should hold 2 mags and a Surfire real easy.

As far as a holster, I used one from one of the manpurse er fanny pack holsters that I had laying around and it worked fine.

I too would be interested in a Egg holster for my vest.
I was thinking along the same lines with the fanny pack and using that holster, but that's a pain in the ass taking it out and replacing it everytime. Egg where are you?

I sorta like this but would like a little more positive lock on the weapon:
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 17:17   #42
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Thats the same one Im using.

To be honest I quit using it because I didnt like the way it rode, and retraining myself to draw from a new location. I went back to using a paddle holster. The added sweep to get the vest out of the way was eaiser to add to my draw than the new cross draw.

YMMV, Im just a pogue.
Old 06-23-2004, 19:41   #43
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Egg,

TS
Eagle has made the velcro holsters, I believe the same ones as their briefcases use.

Current production holsters and accessories for 5.11's vest is marked "Made in Vietnam" by, yuck, Blackhawk.

A kit containing all of their items including holster, mag pouch, cuff case, OC can, etc. is available directly from 5.11 tactical at their website.

HTH.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 19:44   #44
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Eagle has made the velcro holsters, I believe the same ones as their briefcases use.

Current production holsters and accessories for 5.11's vest is marked "Made in Vietnam" by, yuck, Blackhawk.

A kit containing all of their items including holster, mag pouch, cuff case, OC can, etc. is available directly from 5.11 tactical at their website.

HTH.

TR
I would prefer to pay more for something made elsewhere.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:28   #45
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Vest Down South ...

I'm currently wearing the vest down here ("down range - south") and I am getting real good use of it.

The various pockets, especially the utility pockets high on the front are good for notepads, pens and cellphones. The concealed carry pocket on either side of the vest (inside) are very handy and don't open unless you want them to. I'm using the velcro holster made by the local "Comando De Selva" manufacturer and it works very well. I agree that the 5.56 pockets might be better on the left side (as opposed to the right side) but, as we are carrying M9 Berretta's while in civilian dress, the 9mm magazines fit perfectly well on the left side pocket currently there. Since I would be making the magazine change from the left side, that works out well. I use the deep upper left side pocket found on the inside to carry my passport so that there is little chance that it would fall out (as the pocket is about 12 inches deep by about 7 inches wide and with velcro closures). Since there is quite a bit of media downhere from time to time, my vest makes me look more like a photographer than a "shooter". I'm happy with the vest, I think I'm gonna purchase the pants here shortly.