Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 10-01-2021, 11:33   #16
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRoad View Post
My 7th Group brethren have always told me that the whole point of a coin with three holes drilled in it is that face down is pretty likely . . . although head's not out of the question.
Most challenge coins are colorfully decorated on the side we refer to as "heads" in an effort to retain the coins beauty. You always want to take care not to scratch the paint. In fact, I'd never drill a hole in ANY of the artwork on a good coin.

You might earn hundreds of coins during your lifetime; you may even become attached to some of them more than others but only one of them is going to feel right in your pocket. Some SF guys go through their entire life and never feel the urge to put a ring on one to keep their keys organized. Some folks are careless and disrespectful and have no problems taking a drill to the artwork on a good coin. Hell, I've know a few guys that would buy challenge coins JUST so they could ruin them.

Some people have no respect for a good coin.

It is only my opinion, but if I was going to deface a challenge coin, I would do it in a way that preserves the overall beauty and integrity of the coin to the maximum extent possible. I (like most SF dude) have a dark side - but the idea of drilling a bunch of holes in a coin - and keeping it?

No thanks.

Those coins are best suited for deciding who is kicking and who is receiving - great for a good spirited scrimmage but you aren't going to display a coin like that on your desk at work. You've got to get rid of a coin like that. There are rumors that keeping a coin with a bunch of holes drilled in it is bad luck. I've even heard stories of coins like that finding their way back to the original owner like some kind of mythological curse. At best, you put it in your gym bag for emergencies.

Now, I'm not judging - if you drill holes in a challenge coin and decide to keep it - it's your coin - you're the one that has to carry it around in your pocket. Any friend that will give you shit about how many holes your coin has drilled in it are either jealous because they don't have a coin of their own - or they aren't a real friend to begin with. Who knows, maybe it was their coin and they got rid of it and now they wish they could have it back - who knows.

On the flip side (pun intended) if you've got a coin that stays in a display case and you only take it out once in a while to shine it up - so be it - but the shiny coin locked away in your foot locker is never going to help you get a free drink and it CERTAINLY isn't going to carry your keys. Using a good challenge coin as a key ring gives you confidence that you won't ever lose your car keys - and you know deep down in your heart that even after a few too many drinks, you'll still be able get into your house when your keys are attached to your best challenge coin.
Besides, what good is a challenge coin if you can't take it out and slam it on the bar every every now and again??

Take it out.
Play with it.
Show it around.
A good coin will last a lifetime.
A really good coin can be the best key ring you have ever had.

Just don't pass your challenge coin around - that's just bad manners - don't lose track of it; you'll regret losing it - most importantly, treat your challenge coin with respect.

-Never let your buddies hold your coin.
-Never EVER let your buddies put holes in your coin.
...that's how mother fuckers get shot.

I have spoken.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 10-01-2021 at 12:09.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 17:48   #17
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

How about this coin, Box?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9556D7F4-9374-495F-9421-7A9F7F8930F3.jpg (82.0 KB, 28 views)
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:53   #18
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
I wonder if she actually "earned" it...
That how she got the shirt…

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote