Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 04-06-2018, 06:48   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Center Axis Relock (C.A.R.) ??

Is it real??

Watched John Wick, I & II a couple times. Good action flick. Keanu Reeves is perfect for the part. Very similar to Léon (Jean Reno) in The Professional (1994)

Both use the keep your mouth shut and shoot until they are all dead philosophy..

Reeves is very fit, practices frequently and doesn't need stunt doubles, BUTT

Is the CAR method use in the real world, by LEO's or the military,,
Or was it developed as a whizz-bang super-cool gimmick for the movies?

I ask because every time I see someone shot from the LOW position, I'm thinking the shooter is getting a face full of blow-back gas & unburnt powder? PLUS a real good ear pop..

I also question the HIGH position canted hold??

Mandatory gratuitous and violent shooter training film from UT (find it yourself)
https://www.*******.com/watch?v=3Q5zl-3BbkY

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 14:28   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Center Axis Relock, lolz, what a joke.

Center Axis Relock lolol, sure, it's used by hollywood and actors that have no clue what real shooting is........ bet he paid out the ass to learn to shoot by a fake "shooting" instructor..........

Next they will be using the "gangster" method. Personally I'd like to see them using the "over the head" method.

Center Axis Relock, lol, can't even type it without laughing, is right up there with "point shooting".
Old 04-07-2018, 11:57   #3
exsquid
Quiet Professional

The C.A.R. method and its inventor, Paul Castle, both come with a bit of controversy. It may have limited applications, think shooting to the side out of vehicle, but personally, I steer clear of niche systems. If it was that great, the SMUs would all be using it. To the best of my knowledge, they don't.

x/S
Old 04-08-2018, 10:26   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Surgical “handgun” shooting is no different than a golf swing. If you want to be good you practice the basics and work to the advanced levels. The approved/mastered style is out there and being taught by the best of the best.

But, just like golf, there are those with every gimmick known to man trying to make their name in some crazy way.

My favorite is still point shooting, method used, pointing a gun in a general direction and hoping you connect.

“Center Axis Relock” is right up there with point shooting, point the handgun in the general direction and hope you make contact. Even more amusing it’s being made “famous” by someone that pretends to be a warrior in a hollywood movie.

That said, if you enjoy snake oil salesmen you might like this method of shooting. I’ve been practicing the “over the head” method myself. Haven’t hit a damn thing yet but it’s lots of fun.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:40   #5
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Crap, it’s like those “10 ways to make your D bigger” clickbait adds.

I was like, “I’ve never heard of CAR”

I’ll never get back those 30 seconds of my life!!!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 14:53   #6
275RLTW
Asset

I honestly thought this was a delayed April Fools joke.
275RLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 15:40   #7
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Hollywood and Firearms !!!

Almost everything portrayed in a "movie" involving a gunfight is the fantasy of the movie's director. His main objective is to provide entertainment not objective,proven methods of instruction on how to shoot a firearm and survive an actual life threatening gunfight. A similar fantasy of Hollywood is having an inexperienced passenger safely landing a 747 jetliner on an unfamiliar runway at night....both feats require a-lot of instruction, practice and experience to successfully survive the outcome...IMHO....tom kelly
Old 04-08-2018, 19:44   #8
wpd654
Asset

C.A.R. and Castle made the LE rounds about 18 years ago. We sent a couple instructors at the time. Like exsquid stated, they found limited real world application. Mostly limited to drawing from a seated position to a direct lateral threat.
Old 04-08-2018, 22:08   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpd654 View Post
C.A.R. and Castle made the LE rounds about 18 years ago. We sent a couple instructors at the time. Like exsquid stated, they found limited real world application. Mostly limited to drawing from a seated position to a direct lateral threat.
Yeah, and the Phoenix PD sent officers to a explosive breaching school that specialized in breaching using "black powder"........ that ended quickly. I think the breaching instructor is now flipping burgers.........

As I said C.A.R is one of the most stupid shooting methods I've ever seen and never heard of until now........... and if you google it you'll find its on "point shooting" websites........

Now I realize how the flat earth society took off.............
Old 04-09-2018, 03:48   #10
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
.... Now I realize how the flat earth society took off.............
LMFAO

....and when did this become a thing?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
Old 04-11-2018, 21:41   #11
G2squared
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
LMFAO

....and when did this become a thing?
Flat Earth Society? It's been around a while. I'm a pilot, small planes, not the 727 mentioned earlier, but multi engine and instrument rated, I'm pretty sure I've seen the edge of the earth and that's why I stay pretty close and cautious when flying in the clouds. Don't want to fly off the edge!

As for this CAR shooting, a guy who was pretty good at gaming shooting competitions came up with a name that he thought was snappy and sold it. Congrats to him for making a buck. But buyer beware...

G2
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:02   #12
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2squared View Post
Flat Earth Society? It's been around a while. I'm a pilot, small planes, not the 727 mentioned earlier, but multi engine and instrument rated, I'm pretty sure I've seen the edge of the earth and that's why I stay pretty close and cautious when flying in the clouds. Don't want to fly off the edge!

As for this CAR shooting, a guy who was pretty good at gaming shooting competitions came up with a name that he thought was snappy and sold it. Congrats to him for making a buck. But buyer beware...

G2
I always wondered when I was doing a HALO train up, why I could only see so far. That was the edge, eh?

Good thing the glide ratio on an MC4 sucked or I could have fallen off the side too!

The more TV I watch, the more I’m seeing this CAR thing. I guess he’s well known in the Hollywood circles, not so much in the shooting circles. I’ve never seen anyone win a shooting comp using CAR. I guess it’s so good that guys like Rob Letham are using that method.... no, wait, what?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:41   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Watched “John Wick II” again last night just to view the “Center Axis Relock” method…….. lol. Was nothing but “point shooting”. And the “grip” Keanu Reeves was employing was not a grip at all. The only thing different in the “new” hollywood movies is that it shows the actor reloading. He/she still hits everything he points the gun at…….

The absolute worst weapons instructors out there make this kind of crap up just to sell to unwitting sheep. Nothing different than selling a piece of shit used car to a first-time car buyer. Except this sort of bullshit will get real people killed.

Where’s Bill Hillar and Wolfgang Hammershit? Bet both of them could sell this shooting style!

You’ve been warned.

You'd be better off going here to up your golf game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ts-of-all-time
Old 04-12-2018, 15:22   #14
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

While I have absolutely no love for CAR, there is one thing I am certain of, and that is that Reeves can shoot for real. An Israeli guy (supposedly Mossad) that is in the Hollywood circle taught Reeves all the funky CAR shit, among other fucked up things that show up in movies.

The person who taught Reeves how to shoot for real is Taran Butler ( 3 gun champion). What you see Reeves doing in the movies as far as shooting/weapon manipulation goes is legit, meaning he can do it with real rounds and hit a target. I'm sure many have seen the You tube videos of Reeves shooting and running drills at Tarans range. If you haven't, go check them out. And surprisingly enough, you won't see Reeves using CAR while he is shooting real rounds.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 20:39   #15
Joker
Quiet Professional

I learned everything I know from Ermy movies.

SF - Rambo (the movie not the piece of "work")
Patrolling - Predator
Pistol MMS - John Wick
Long Gun - Jack Reacher
Jumping - Jumping Jacks

Anybody that takes anything from Hollyweird seriously deserves what they get. Usually fleeced.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote