Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 09-05-2017, 13:37   #1
Gruntastic11
Asset

Any "Old Guys" like me prepping for SFAS?

I know 30 ain't that old, but just curious if anyone around my age is prepping to do this.

I'm a prior service guy and my only regret was not doing this earlier on.

Right now, I'm just doing fitness prep for a WPS contract. I've gotten in the mode that I want to attempt to go through SFAS in a year or two before I lose my chance.

Granted, I'll have to be sent back through basic because of the gap between getting out and now.

I've got no aches and pains and still in pretty good health.

Side Note: I would love to hear the experiences of SFAS as an older gentleman going through with young guns.
Gruntastic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:11   #2
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

You'll be called Grandpa so laugh with them. You will probably have wisdom and experience needed to gain the strength they may offer when needed most.

I was 25 at the time and can honestly say I was in better shape (physical and mentally) at 30-35 than I was before.

Age is only a mindset not a limitation. Good luck to you.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:14   #3
Gruntastic11
Asset

Much appreciated on the insight. I've gotten to the point where my family is saying that I'm not going to like it because of the stupidity of the newer generations.

I really have two options, either whine and cry about the whining and crying or do the right thing and be a mentor and set an example.
Old 09-05-2017, 14:21   #4
Warrior Healer
Asset

I'm 33.

Hey Gruntastic,

I'm "old" for a candidate. I leave soon for basic with an 18D contract through 20th. I am also prior service.

I had to spend a lot of time under a ruck and working on PT in general compared to the younger guys. At our SFRE almost everyone was in the 24-28 year range, but of the two dozen or so who showed up, the two of us who got contracts were 29 and 33.

The QPs who have been there done that have listed a lot of good info on this site for "older" guys making an attempt. There may be more aches and pains after 30, but it's all about your will. Good luck!

WH
Warrior Healer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:29   #5
Gruntastic11
Asset

Warrior Healer, your age is roughly when I'll be trying. As I will be doing some WPS for those years, I'll have nothing but time to train.

Running has always been my strong suit and at 201 pounds, smoking a pack a day, I ran 5 miles in about 55 minutes. Not too shabby for a smoker(still working on that quitting portions. Day 2....)

Best of luck to you brother. Hopefully we'll hear you got selected and moving on!
Old 09-05-2017, 19:27   #6
VAKEMP
Auxiliary

I went to SFAS earlier this year. The oldest guy in our class was in his 40's. He was selected.

Good luck!
VAKEMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:30   #7
JimP
Quiet Professional

In the "for what it's worth" category - I was an SF baby. I was probably unprepared and too immature to really appreciate and comprehend all the training I underwent.
I'm with ODNT: In my 30's I was in much better long-term shape and much wiser to be able to handle the stresses of training. What little I lost in terms of being young and resilient I more than made up for in not being such a dumb-ass and being able to appreciate and understand the training I was undergoing.

I will also say, that it wasn't until about 40 or early 40's that I started to notice that I had a hard time smoking the young guys, and that there were some youngsters that I couldn't smoke anymore. However, I could still operate at a high level and had the privilege of running through an assessment course out in the desert of the southwest when I was 48 years old. I was the oldest uniformed guy out there. Did fine.

Age is a mental thing - if you're mental, it ain't a problem.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:18   #8
Gruntastic11
Asset

All the info is much appreciated. I plan on ordering the "Get Selected" book as research on here points to it as a bible to assist in preparation with the course.

Thank you for the info, I will put it to good use and stay focused on that 5 and 25 meter target.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:34   #9
spottedmedic111
Quiet Professional

I was 27 and did fine. It's not like boxing where you have accumulated damage. That comes later!
spottedmedic111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:45   #10
Gruntastic11
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedmedic111 View Post
I was 27 and did fine. It's not like boxing where you have accumulated damage. That comes later!
I like that analogy.

Did you decide to go at an older age or was it an epiphany one day that you had to do it?
Old 09-06-2017, 11:48   #11
spottedmedic111
Quiet Professional

I was prior service and the only option during the Clinton drawdown was for Special Forces, probably because 3rd Group was being built and the Army needed more applicants. Trained for 5 weeks, went to Benning for Airborne, then Bragg for selection.
spottedmedic111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 15:15   #12
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruntastic11 View Post

Running has always been my strong suit and at 201 pounds, smoking a pack a day, I ran 5 miles in about 55 minutes. Not too shabby for a smoker(still working on that quitting portions. Day 2....)
Not to be a dick, really, but that 5 mile time is horrible! The standard is 5 miles in under 40 minutes. I'm 54, been retired since 2005, and run 5 in 46+/- right now at 207 lbs and was always a middle of the pack runner. When I hit selection, also at 33, also having smoked since I was 14, with roughly 10 years of jumping with the 82nd on my knees, ran 5 in about 36:30, again, nothing blistering.

You are going to need to drastically improve that run time...55 minutes for 5 miles is 11 minute miles, that average won't pass the 5 mile run, or the PT Test 2 mile run, not sure what the current minimum for 33 is, but it was under 18 minutes last time I checked. You are closer to what I would say is how fast you should be able to walk a mile in under a heavy ruck, which is 15 min/miles.

You have time, but don't fool yourself into thinking that it'll come around by itself, it's going to take work, hard work.

Good Luck.
Old 09-06-2017, 15:20   #13
Gruntastic11
Asset

Roger that. I've been working on the run and picked up the SORB Thor 3 prep to work.

Selection is a 300m target right now. But, I want to give myself plenty of time to build up mentally and physically.

I'm a smoker as well and cutting the smoking back increments at a time and right now a pack lasts me about a week.

Question though, is the standard still measured by the 17-21 bracket? Or is that just the base line to be at for SFRE and SOPC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
Not to be a dick, really, but that 5 mile time is horrible! The standard is 5 miles in under 40 minutes. I'm 54, been retired since 2005, and run 5 in 46+/- right now at 207 lbs and was always a middle of the pack runner. When I hit selection, also at 33, also having smoked since I was 14, with roughly 10 years of jumping with the 82nd on my knees, ran 5 in about 36:30, again, nothing blistering.

You are going to need to drastically improve that run time...55 minutes for 5 miles is 11 minute miles, that average won't pass the 5 mile run, or the PT Test 2 mile run, not sure what the current minimum for 33 is, but it was under 18 minutes last time I checked. You are closer to what I would say is how fast you should be able to walk a mile in under a heavy ruck, which is 15 min/miles.

You have time, but don't fool yourself into thinking that it'll come around by itself, it's going to take work, hard work.

Good Luck.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:40   #14
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I was an E-7 at 27 if I recall correctly, E-8 at 33 or 34. (I retired at 39) Starting at the bottom at age 35-40 has zero appeal to me. Special Forces has "old" guys, but 99.5% of them started young.

And I was an animal. 100+ pushups, 100+ sit-ups and could run a sub 5 minute mile when I joined Special Forces. Every PT test until I was 35 was 300+.

Active duty groups will send you packing the first time you cannot keep up with the A-Teams. Then again women are trying out, standards are being lowered to accommodate them, you might survive. And no, I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass and say it's a good idea.

Remember those kids on the playground that were picked last for dodgeball............ if you're over 30 and not an animal, that's going to be you.

Thirty five, forty years old and zero experience......... good luck.

TS
Old 09-07-2017, 08:53   #15
Gruntastic11
Asset

Thank you for the insight, Team Sergeant.

If I'm not an animal by that time, I won't waste anyone's time with something that ends up turning into a pipe dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I was an E-7 at 27 if I recall correctly, E-8 at 33 or 34. (I retired at 39) Starting at the bottom at age 35-40 has zero appeal to me. Special Forces has "old" guys, but 99.5% of them started young.

And I was an animal. 100+ pushups, 100+ sit-ups and could run a sub 5 minute mile when I joined Special Forces. Every PT test until I was 35 was 300+.

Active duty groups will send you packing the first time you cannot keep up with the A-Teams. Then again women are trying out, standards are being lowered to accommodate them, you might survive. And no, I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass and say it's a good idea.

Remember those kids on the playground that were picked last for dodgeball............ if you're over 30 and not an animal, that's going to be you.

Thirty five, forty years old and zero experience......... good luck.

TS