Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 04-27-2016, 04:32   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Turkey's parliament speaker seeks religious constitution

Turkey's parliament speaker seeks religious constitution

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-constitution/

"Turkey should have a religious constitution, parliament speaker Ismail Kahraman said on Monday, in comments that will likely add to concerns of creeping Islamisation under the ruling AKP party.

"As a Muslim country, why should we be in a situation where we are in retreat from religion?" state-run news agency Anatolia quoted him as saying.

"We are a Muslim country. As a consequence, we must have a religious constitution," the AKP lawmaker told a conference in Istanbul.

"Secularism cannot feature in the new constitution."....."

We have been talking about Turkey's slide for at least the past 10 years. Been a slow slide, but a continuous slide.

The first big step was purging the Military of those that followed the constitution, stacking the courts then replacing leaders in the schools.

All of this was going on while Europe and the US debated Turkey's membership on NATO.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:02   #2
Flagg
Area Commander

To be honest, this is probably the scariest and least discussed aspect of the literalist/fundamentalist/Islamist threat.

Why?

The supposed evolutionary path of a Muslim country from hostile literalist Islamic poverty to friendly secular progressive Muslim wealth has been shattered.

Turkey was THE role model for liberal progressive belief in co-existence.

If economically diversified, educated, engaged, and consistently successful Turkey is slipping significantly backwards in terms of secularism then what actual hope is there for any other relatively homogenous(bar the Kurds) Muslim country further down the development food chain to make the transition to sustainable, long-term co-existence with western systems that are incongruent with rigidly adhered to Islamic political-religious-cultural competitive systems?

"Canary, this is coal mine over. You are broken and unreadable."

I write this as an interested follower of Turkey(my paternal grandfather I never met served in the Turkish military as an Orthodox conscript, and became a 1st gen legal immigrant).

Kamal Ataturk must be spinning in his grave.

And the Turkish senior chain of command that didn't hit the reboot button(Sledgehammer) on Erdogon before he emasculated that long entrenched capability and started turning the country into a dodgy Islamic fireworks factory should be haunted for all eternity.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:55   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

Turkish prime minister announces decision to step down

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-05-08-22-08

" ANKARA, Turkey (AP) -- Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu announced his resignation on Thursday, paving the way for the country's president to pursue a tighter grip on power.

"I decided that for the unity of the (ruling party) a change of chairman would be more appropriate. I am not considering running at the May 22 congress," Davutoglu told the nation.

Davutoglu, who had fallen out with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, announced he was stepping aside following a meeting with executives of the ruling Justice and Development Party, or AKP, which has dominated Turkish politics since 2002...."

More bad news.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:09   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu aannounces decision to step down

I'm sure Prime Minister Davutoglu is opting out to keep his head intact.......

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has already gone "full retard".