Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18A

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 13:52   #31
Atilla
Asset

update

Gents,

I just wanted to step out of the shadows to give an update. It looks like I will either be going to BAC or Air Assault this summer. This mostly has to do with the fact that our program here at UT is a small one and we don't get many slots or opportunities for more specialized schools. I will be trying in every way I can to go to Air Assault school as I have been informed that Airborne is handed out like candy after BOLC. I may not have a choice though and will be happy to do whatever training I may get this summer. At this point it is a wait and see game. I decided against the DARC option and instead will be taking more Arabic this summer. Next summer will be LDAC and hopefully things will work out in a way that I can apply for the JFKSWS internship and come be a G at Sage that summer as well. Just wanted to update you gents and thank you for your information and guidance.

Sgt. Atilla
Old 03-31-2009, 14:25   #32
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Gents,

I just wanted to step out of the shadows to give an update. It looks like I will either be going to BAC or Air Assault this summer. This mostly has to do with the fact that our program here at UT is a small one and we don't get many slots or opportunities for more specialized schools. I will be trying in every way I can to go to Air Assault school as I have been informed that Airborne is handed out like candy after BOLC. I may not have a choice though and will be happy to do whatever training I may get this summer. At this point it is a wait and see game. I decided against the DARC option and instead will be taking more Arabic this summer. Next summer will be LDAC and hopefully things will work out in a way that I can apply for the JFKSWS internship and come be a G at Sage that summer as well. Just wanted to update you gents and thank you for your information and guidance.

Sgt. Atilla
Being a G at Robin Sage will in no real way benefit you in your Army career.

If you want to go play in the woods, fine, just don't count on it to get you anywhere or anything.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 03-31-2009, 22:11   #33
sleepyhead4
Quiet Professional

Atilla,

I and the other QP appreciate your enthusiasm and can-do attitude, but chill out a little. If your sole focus right now is being an 18A, then you're short changing your first platoon and branch, whether it be infantry or even support. Take all the advice you get here to be the best cadet, LT, CPT, etc. in whatever unit you go to. I caveat that by saying that you are on the right track with wanting to professionally develop/improve yourself.

From my experience, the guys who were the loudest and most "motivated" during IOBC were seen as the know-it-all/show-offs. Usually it was the down to earth, competent 2LT's who were seen as the true leaders. I'm not categorizing you in either, as I don't know you enough, but that should be food for thoughts.

As for schools, get whatever schools you can get because as an officer, the opportunity for you to go to school will be limited. I was fortunate enough to go to BAC and Sapper Leader Course as a cadet but after that, my military schooling basically ended. The only schools offered were the "required" schools for an Infantry PL (IOBC, Ranger, eventually Jumpmaster).

Just my 2 cents as an 18A

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" Bruce Campbell a.k.a Ash

Last edited by sleepyhead4; 03-31-2009 at 22:12. Reason: grammar
Old 04-01-2009, 01:36   #34
Atilla
Asset

TR,

Sir I understand that being a G will in no way give me a leg up I was just interested because it seemed like a great way to get some further training in how to think outside the box. Whether or not it helps me on paper I know it would help me to be a better leader.

Sleepyhead,

Sir I understand what you are saying about being about it and not seeing about it. "Speak softly and carry a big stick". I do know I have a lot to do before 18A is on my immediate list of shit to worry about. I don't want any of you gentlemen to misunderstand me. My main focus right now is doing my best in ROTC and to stack the deck in my favor through hard work to get the branch I want (Infantry) and to learn as much as I can from the excellent cadre I have to make the transition from good NCO to good PL. The reason my 18A ambitions are so evident in my posts here is that it deals directly with you gentlemen and that this is where I know I can go to increase my SA on my long range goal which I like to keep good and current intel on so that when the time does come for me to fire for effect I am as educated and properly armed/equipped as I can be. On the school issue, at this point as I mentioned I'll take what I can get and be happy for it. At the end of the day cool schools are not the point, the point for me is to be ready and able to take men to combat and stack the deck in their favor by setting them up for success, leading them competently, and doing everything I can to make sure that they all come home even if that means giving up my life for theirs. 18A is my secondary goal, with the primary being striving to be the best officer I can be in whatever task I am assigned by the Army. Hopefully if I do that the rest will take care of itself and I will get a chance to join you gents and take up the banner of a very distinguished and hallowed group of professionals.

As always thank you gents for your guidance.

Sgt. Atilla
Old 04-01-2009, 07:09   #35
gagners
Asshat 6

I tend to stay out of this section...

... since I'm not an 18A, but I thought the CDTs that are considering MWS as an option should know a few things:

- MWS has recently changed from a 2 phase (2 weeks each) course to a 1 phase (2 weeks total course). It teaches some new tactical topics like high angle shooting at the expense of some of the more technical stuff. (If you want technical, PM me about the Assault Climber Course )

WHICH MEANS: The "E" ASI is now given after completing the single phase. In the past, if a cadet went to the MWS after LDAC or whatever it's called now, they would leave with a certificate but no qualification and maybe a desire to try and get back for the other phase. The single phase now qualifies one as a "Military Mountaineer". Do I necessarily agree with that? Different topic.

Airborne and Ranger School are gimmes if you commission Infantry.

MWS provides just one more piece of info for your kit bag that a handful of guys have the opportunity to get on active duty (exceptions being SF and 5th RTB).

My $.02.

Enjoy your summer, regardless of what training is available to you. Make use of every available training opportunity presented to you, b/c your PL time is best spent with your guys, not TDY, IMHO.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:58   #36
Razor
Quiet Professional

Atilla,

Good luck where ever you end up this summer.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:39   #37
Jasf10
Asset

Atilla,

I suggest you focus on school and PT right now. If you have had the OML class, you will see that GPA and PT are the two things that will help you the most during the rotc assessment. Airborne and AA also give *some* points. I have heard that it also helps if you are a 11b right now. If you want Infantry... study, do PT. Dont worry about internships and whatnot b/c they arent going to get you too much.

This is your last year and a half or so of school. Take advantage of it. Do well in school, PT, and LDAC. everything else will happen.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:16   #38
Atilla
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasf10 View Post
Atilla,

I suggest you focus on school and PT right now. If you have had the OML class, you will see that GPA and PT are the two things that will help you the most during the rotc assessment. Airborne and AA also give *some* points. I have heard that it also helps if you are a 11b right now. If you want Infantry... study, do PT. Dont worry about internships and whatnot b/c they arent going to get you too much.

This is your last year and a half or so of school. Take advantage of it. Do well in school, PT, and LDAC. everything else will happen.
I appreciate the advice but I am not so sure you are qualified to give it since it looks like we are in the same boat. Im am well aware of what will and will not help me in assessions, and on that point as far as I know schools such as as BAS and AA don't offer any points. GPA is worth 40% (I have a 3.6) and as far as PT goes I am good. I posted the question about training opportunity because I have the other situation in hand and would like to get some good training this summer. Not trying to get testy just don't like being talked down to by someone who seems to be a peer.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:14   #39
Aequitas
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Not trying to get testy just don't like being talked down to by someone who seems to be a peer.
I suggest growing some thicker skin if you plan on going SF...a team would eat you alive right now...best of luck with your decisions...it appears you are setting yourself up well, but don't get to far ahead of yourself...
Old 04-09-2009, 15:54   #40
Zorro
Quiet Professional

Been in your shoes.

Attila,

I am a current 18A DET CDR in GRP and went through the ROTC stuff that you are going through. I knew when I graduated high school I wanted to be an SF Officer. I enrolled in ROTC and focused my studies in areas I thought would prepare me. I was a Criminal Justice Major with a Psych and Spanish minor. That helped alot. I developed what I called my 10 year plan. Where I wanted to be in 10 years to help me achieve my goal. That included starting out as an Infantry officer in the 82nd Airborne. I did Airborne and Air Assault as a Cadet and it was beneficial only because it allowed me to get to my unit faster and get more time being a leader of troops. Did the Mortar Leader Course and Ranger after IOBC and that set me up for success since after my Rifle PL time I moved to the Mortar Platoon. I have to tell you this. The time you spend as an INF PL is what will shape you for years to come. You will learn the importance of your PSG and the rest of the NCO's and you will learn about putting your men before yourself. You will also develop the thick skin that everyone talks about. Plus, the Big Army does stuff that SF may not do as well. The Conventional Army is a great place to learn the ropes as an Officer, despite any type of prior service as an NCO. I would not have been prepared to do my job if it wasn't for those early years in Division.

Regarding the debate around your decisions for what schools, training to go to I will offer this up. I did CTLT as a Cadet with an Aviation unit at Bragg where I worked with an Apache unit during Aerial Gunnery. I didn't think it would apply to what I wanted to do but on my last rotation we executed air assaults constantly and without the knowledge I gained from that month with an Aviation unit I would have been playing catch up the whole time. Regardless of what you get to go and do, You will learn something that will benefit you down the road. The key is to take whatever you can get and put it in your kit bag.

Become as well-rounded as you can and you will do just fine.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:48   #41
jmc19
Asset

Gentlemen,
First off, I'm a long time lurker here, this is my first post as this topic is really the only thing I've been qualified to address in this forum.

Atilla,
I'm an 11A in the pipeline at Benning. I would recommend grabbing up an ABN slot as a CDT. Currently, there is a HUGE backlog of LTs coming out of IBOLC due to the addition of BOLC II stressing the Army's personnel system and causing LT's to wait months for basic school slots post-commissioning. I had to wait until OCT to get into BOLC II after commissioning in MAY, I didn't start IBOLC until late NOV. As a caveat, I would add that this advice may be irrelevant if the Army decides to drop BOLC II and/or finds some way to fix the backlog of LT’s waiting for RGR.

RGR this year has been pretty tough, and there have been a whole bunch of recycles and failures. Mainly, there were two classes in which there were a tremendous amount of land nav failures, and it created a huge backlog in the system. The last RGR class to go through admin dropped 140 Rangers the 2nd day of RAP (to include 79 IN LT's) who had already passed the RPFT and CWSA and had not failed any events. This was due to lack of room in the course; squads were standing at around 24 to 26 Rangers for those first few days. This was partly because of the amount of recycles from previous classes. We are now all waiting until 17 MAY for our chance to go again. Obviously, this has pushed everyone else back even farther down the list for slots.

What this means is that right now priority for future RGR slots is going to be given to those LT’s a) going light or ABN and b) who are already ABN qualified. The reasoning is that RGR is ideally the last school to hit before moving on, and they want to make sure that you get as qual'ed as possible before leaving if you do fail RGR. You only have 7 some odd months at the LTO before you must leave Benning, so you need to fit all schooling into that timeline. As of now, LT’s have one chance to go to RGR whereas before it was a 2 chance policy... if you get dropped for performance/LOM /get hurt you will go to ABN and then PCS without your tab. It’s happening to quite a few guys. It sucks, but that's life. Even if you do go to RGR right after IBOLC, with the wait to get into BOLCII/III you will likely be coming up on 1LT as soon as you get to your unit as it is. Getting our tabs is a must but you do not want to wait around Benning any longer than you have to, you want to get out and be a PL. Get your ABN done now, and you will move up the OML for RGR post-IBOLC, bottom line from my perspective here.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:55   #42
Atilla
Asset

Update:
I found out this week that I will be participating in Robin Sage during June as a part of the JFKSW Platoon Leader Program. I am on an alternate list for BAS and AA. I am extremely excited about being given the opportunity to go to Sage, and look forward to absorbing as much as I can in my limited role as a G. For the soon to be QP's who I will have the pleasure of working with come June, I hope I do right by you guys.

On a side note, I also found out that next year I will be the Company First Sergeant for our Company (Should be a BN but our school's program is not that big) during the first LDP rotation, which makes me feel very honored especially since I have only been in the program for one semester. It feels really good to be noticed as a leader. Just wanted to keep you gents updated on my humble but steady progress.
Old 05-06-2009, 18:43   #43
Zorro
Quiet Professional

if you have the option take Airborne school as a cadet over all other training, including Robin Sage G time. Going to ABN as a cadet will allow you to go to IOBC and straight to Ranger instead of waiting for ABN then RGR. The Robin Sage Guerrilla thing won't really help you IMHO as a BTDT guy. My G's turned out to be the support guys from the BN I ended up going to in GRP.

Bottom Line... Do Airborne. It's a pre-req. Air Assault is just another badge. Yes I went but it was as a cadet when I didn't really have anything else to do.

Your focus should be: 1. Graduate and get your commission (doing well at Lewis won't really matter in the long run). 2. Get Airborne as a cadet so you don't spend more time at Benning going to schools when you could be at your Unit gaining knowledge and experience. And 3. Focus on being a good platoon leader in your current unit because those are the troopers you will deploy with 1-2 times before you get a chance to go to SFAS.

If you worry about those things everything else will fall into place (with a little extra effort on your part.)
Old 05-07-2009, 21:54   #44
sleepyhead4
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post

Your focus should be: 1. Graduate and get your commission (doing well at Lewis won't really matter in the long run). 2. Get Airborne as a cadet so you don't spend more time at Benning going to schools when you could be at your Unit gaining knowledge and experience. And 3. Focus on being a good platoon leader in your current unit because those are the troopers you will deploy with 1-2 times before you get a chance to go to SFAS.

If you worry about those things everything else will fall into place (with a little extra effort on your part.)
+1. Great advice.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" Bruce Campbell a.k.a Ash
Old 05-08-2009, 04:04   #45
Dozer523
BANNED USER

I don't suppose an effective writing course is a consideration. Do you ever consider "Audience" before you post with this "Voice"? After reading your posts I feel like I need a shower. (its too late for the boots, save the watch!) I hope you don't talk like this. And OH lookie, Attila got what he was considering at the start of this thread despite of all the contrary advice offered by the members he beseeched. Attila you’ve never had any other intention, never truly considered the advice offered. You’ve just been waiting to talk. Oh to see you in five years, I wonder what your excuse will be for not going to the DetO course. I wonder what your reason will be for submitting your resignation. Thank you, I have a reason for living.
Closed Thread