Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 07-07-2018, 06:11   #31
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Term limits

12 years... That's 3 Presidentials.

Average "Life" expectancy in 1787 was around 38 years... I think the percentage of population over 60 was in single digit percentiles, with around 1 % making it to 80.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:27   #32
Box
Quiet Professional

If Darth Vader Ginsburg was to expire during a Trump presidency, liberals would carry her around like 'Weekend at Bernies' until another liberal gets into the White House.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:39   #33
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Agreed,, But given the Left's penchant for the absurd,,

YOU WILL ALSO NEED A MINIMUM AGE

Or they will attempt to put a 10YO on the court
Yup. There has been a justice younger than the min age to be a POTUS. And nowadays that's just having moved out of Mom's basement...

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:21   #34
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Term limits

12 years... That's 3 Presidentials.

Average "Life" expectancy in 1787 was around 38 years... I think the percentage of population over 60 was in single digit percentiles, with around 1 % making it to 80.
One of Mark Levin's proposed amendments from his book The Liberty Amendments:

Quote:
3. An amendment to establish a twelve-year term limit for justices of the Supreme Court and the ability for the Congress to overturn a Supreme Court majority decision by a three-fifths vote of the House and Senate or by a three-fifths vote of the states legislatures.
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ighlight=Levin

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 13:57   #35
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
One of Mark Levin's proposed amendments from his book The Liberty Amendments:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ighlight=Levin

Had not seen Levin's proposals. Thanks for the link

I don't agree with the overturning. But that's a different conversation

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 23:46   #36
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

The sad part in all of this is how much more important this choice is than just a regular senator or congressman from joe blow state. What should be equal branches of government is damn sure not! I have not yet completed my studies on all things from our institution of government, but I find it disturbing that their decisions out trump (no pun intended) the other branches of government. I do know that congress (yes, I underscore the capitalization on purpose) can have an over all vote to undo a Supreme Court decision (I think I have that right, if not please correct me). I just don't recall when that has ever happened. It seems our elected leaders think they are just as powerful as the Executive branch but fail to realize they are just as powerful as the Judicial branch.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:28   #37
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshooter View Post
I do know that congress (yes, I underscore the capitalization on purpose) can have an over all vote to undo a Supreme Court decision (I think I have that right, if not please correct me). I just don't recall when that has ever happened. It seems our elected leaders think they are just as powerful as the Executive branch but fail to realize they are just as powerful as the Judicial branch.
You're right, doesn't seem to happen very often. (Wait till the pendulum swings the other way in Congress however, as they don't seem to be getting more civil but more deranged.)

Strictly speaking, Congress doesn't actually vote (if they actually were to get around to it) to undo a SCOTUS decision. What they would have to do is go back & craft legislation or an amendment to a piece of law that SCOTUS finds objectionable, that is consistent with the Constitution (which they often conveniently forget about). Majority opinions can run the gamut from "the law you (Congress) crafted is unconstitutional & here's why. If you want to keep going, go back & do better."

The other extreme is to let a terribly crafted piece of legislation go ahead (Pelosi: "We'll know what's in it after we pass it.") but then make a ruling when it's appealed as a justice as to "what you think" Congress meant to do when they passed the law. This is the so-called 'activist judge' & they exist on both sides of the political spectrum. (Example: How many were aghast when the Roberts court called the Individual Mandate in ObamaCare a "tax" rather than the extortion at gun point to buy a product that it was.) Another instance where (imo) SCOTUS often misses the boat is to conflate public rhetoric by an official - including emotion-based language of the appellant - with the actual language of an Executive Order balanced against the Constitution. Probably the most recent examples of that I can think of would be POTUS' immigration-related executive orders. Courts kept overturning the orders because they allow too much influence of what was said by then-Candidate Trump, rather than the actual 'meat' and legal standing supporting an EO. (And the Constitution gives wide latitude to the Chief Executive to do his job of "protect & defend" etc.)

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote