Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 07-04-2018, 09:57   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Fourth of July fireworks trigger PTSD symptoms in veterans (NOT)

Sorry liberal media, I'd say most of us love fireworks and do not cower in the corner when they are launched.

American Psychiatrists & Psychologists, destroying Alpha males and making Beta males since the 1800's.

Fourth of July fireworks trigger PTSD symptoms in veterans
By Andrew Craft | Fox News

LAS VEGAS – Americans will celebrate the nation’s 242nd birthday with July 4 trips to the beach, with barbecues and with celebratory fireworks.

The rockets’ red glare is an Independence Day tradition. But for the men and women of the U.S. armed forces, the jarring noises can trigger symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD.

Whether it’s a Roman candle, a traditional firecracker or small poppers, the sounds transport service men and women to the battlefield, conjuring up memories and images most have tried to forget.
“It depends on the state of mind I’m in. For some veterans it can be disturbing, it can make you angry,” said Benjamin Dupree, who served in the U.S. Marine Corps during Operation Desert Storm.

For others, it takes them back to specific areas of combat.

“For me it’s the explosion…In my case, it puts you right back, especially if it’s unexpected …bang! ... you jump, you duck…it’s what you were trained to do," says John Ferron, who served during the Vietnam War in the Navy.

cont:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/0...-veterans.html
Old 07-04-2018, 10:04   #2
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Sorry liberal media, I'd say most of us love fireworks and do not cower in the corner when they are launched.

American Psychiatrists & Psychologists, destroying Alpha males and making Beta males since the 1800's.

Fourth of July fireworks trigger PTSD symptoms in veterans
By Andrew Craft | Fox News

LAS VEGAS – Americans will celebrate the nation’s 242nd birthday with July 4 trips to the beach, with barbecues and with celebratory fireworks.

The rockets’ red glare is an Independence Day tradition. But for the men and women of the U.S. armed forces, the jarring noises can trigger symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD.

Whether it’s a Roman candle, a traditional firecracker or small poppers, the sounds transport service men and women to the battlefield, conjuring up memories and images most have tried to forget.
“It depends on the state of mind I’m in. For some veterans it can be disturbing, it can make you angry,” said Benjamin Dupree, who served in the U.S. Marine Corps during Operation Desert Storm.

For others, it takes them back to specific areas of combat.

“For me it’s the explosion…In my case, it puts you right back, especially if it’s unexpected …bang! ... you jump, you duck…it’s what you were trained to do," says John Ferron, who served during the Vietnam War in the Navy.

cont:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/0...-veterans.html
Stop that. Commentary like yours is not helpful and does not fit the narrative.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:22   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Not helpful for who?

The Psychiatrists & Psychologists that create hundreds of millions of patients that require their “professional” medical supervision and that require daily doses of pharmaceutical grade anti-depressants, for the rest of their lives? This is not just a veteran issue, but a systemic national issue based on the opinion of one industry.

The narrative you speak of is written by the same Psychiatrists & Psychologists that treat hundreds of millions and prescribe them anti-depressants, support pigs and support roosters.

Too many frauds using the VA system as a welfare check and we’ve found too many PTSD recipients have never faced an armed enemy or even seen spilled blood.

Yeah, I disagree with the “narrative”, and so do some others. 100% disability payments is a huge incentive to have "ptsd". And it's amazing that even those not even in a combat zone receive 100% PTSD payments.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...testimony.html

Some Vets With PTSD Are Scamming the VA: Testimony

Military.com By Richard Sisk
The House Veterans Affairs Committee heard testimony Wednesday that was both encouraging and disturbing about PTSD programs and allegations that some vets are faking symptoms to get a disability check.

The Department of Veterans Affairs has greatly expanded its treatment programs for mental health problems overall, and for post-traumatic stress disorder in particular, said Dr. Harold Kudler, acting assistant deputy under secretary for Patient Care Services at the VA.

In fiscal 2016, the VA provided mental health treatment to 1.6 million veterans, up from 900,000 in 2006, Kudler said. Of the overall figure, 583,000 "received state-of-the-art treatment for PTSD," including 178,000 who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, he added.

Kudler said the number of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation New Dawn veterans receiving VA treatment for PTSD has doubled since 2010, while VA services for them have increased by 50 percent.

In addition, the VA is increasingly open to alternative treatments for PTSD, including the use of hyperbaric chambers and yoga, but an Army veteran who went through VA treatment for PTSD said the expansion and outreach leave the program open to scams by veterans looking to get a disability check.

Brendan O'Byrne, a sergeant with the 173rd Airborne Brigade who served a 15-month tour in the remote Korengal valley of eastern Afghanistan, told the committee he was overwhelmed by "crippling anxiety, blinding anger" compounded by drinking when he left the service in 2008.

After four years, he was given a 70-percent disability rating for PTSD and was immediately advised by administrators and other veterans to push for 100 percent to boost his check, O'Byrne said.

"Now, I don't know if they saw something that I didn't but, in my eyes, I was not 100 percent disabled and told them that," O'Byrne said. But they continued to press him to go for a higher rating. His arguments for a lower rating went nowhere, he said.

In VA group counseling sessions, "I realized the sad truth about a portion of the veterans there -- they were scammers, seeking a higher rating without a real trauma. This was proven when I overheard one vet say to another that he had to 'pay the bills' and how he 'was hoping this in-patient was enough for a 100-percent rating.' I vowed never to participate in group counseling through the VA again," O'Byrne said.

"When there is money to gain, there will be fraud," he said. "The VA is no different. Veterans are no different. In the noble efforts to help veterans and clear the backlog of VA claims, we allowed a lot of fraud into the system, and it is pushing away the veterans with real trauma and real PTSD."

Committee members, who are accustomed to hearing allegations of fraud and waste within the VA but rarely about scamming by a veteran, did not directly challenge O'Byrne's allegations, but Rep. Mike Bost, R-Ill., told him he was unique. "That's the first I've ever heard of a vet wanting to reduce the amount of benefits they're receiving," Bost said.

O'Byrne was a central figure in the book "War" by author Sebastian Junger, who also testified at the hearing on "Overcoming PTSD: Assessing VA's Efforts to Promote Wellness and Healing."

Junger said society must share the blame for the prevalence of PTSD. "Many of our vets seem to be suffering from something other than trauma reaction. One possible explanation for their psychological troubles is that -- whether they experience combat or not -- transitioning from the kind of close communal life of a platoon to the alienation of modern society is extremely difficult."

Then there is politics. "In order for soldiers to avoid something called 'moral injury,' they have to believe they are fighting for a just cause, and that just cause can only reside in a nation that truly believes in itself as an enduring entity," Junger said.

"When it became fashionable after the election for some of my fellow Democrats to declare that Donald Trump was 'not their president,' they put all of our soldiers at risk of moral injury," he said.

"And when Donald Trump charged repeatedly that Barack Obama -- the commander-in-chief -- was not even an American citizen, he surely demoralized many soldiers who were fighting under orders from that White House," Junger said. "For the sake of our military personnel -- if not for the sake of our democracy -- such statements should be quickly and forcefully repudiated by the offending political party."

The allegation that some veterans are bilking PTSD programs is not a major concern for Zach Iscol, a Marine captain who fought in Fallujah and now is executive director of the non-profit Headstrong Project.

"If there are people taking advantage of us, that's OK, because we have a bigger mission," Iscol said, but he also noted that Headstrong does not give out disability payments.

In partnership with Weill Cornell Medical College, the project's goal is to provide free assistance with experienced clinicians to post-9/11 veterans for a range of problems, from PTSD to addiction and anger management.

Iscol said Headstrong currently has about 200 active clients, and "on average it costs less than $5,000 to treat a vet." He cautioned there are no panaceas for treating PTSD, and "there's no simple app that will solve this problem. I don't think you can design a one-size-fits-all for mental health."

The witnesses and committee members agreed that PTSD is treatable, but disagreed over the types and availability of treatment programs and whether the VA is adequately funded to provide them or should rely more on non-profits.

The issue of the estimated 20 suicides by veterans daily came up briefly when Rep. Jack Bergman, R-Mich., a retired Marine lieutenant general, questioned Kudler on VA programs to bring down the rate.

VA Secretary Dr. David Shulkin has made combating veteran suicides a major priority and has focused on making treatment available for veterans with less than honorable discharges.

Kudler said there is a "counter-intuitive" involved in addressing the veteran suicide problem. About 14 of the 20 daily suicides involve veterans who never deployed and experienced combat trauma, he said. "It would be premature to say we know why."

-- Richard Sisk can be reached at Richard.Sisk@Military.com.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:54   #4
ProudGSMom
Asset

This-

"Kudler said there is a "counter-intuitive" involved in addressing the veteran suicide problem. About 14 of the 20 daily suicides involve veterans who never deployed and experienced combat trauma, he said. "It would be premature to say we know why."
~
"Islam" means "Submission" we are Americans, we do not submit.
~
PS, Sgt. x, you met him before we deployed. He is asking for Double Stuffed Oreos.
~
~~~excerpts from letters home, PFC Andrew Meari, KIA 11/1/10
ProudGSMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:02   #5
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

I wish this had more public attention! I have met too many of these POS scammers, from the Viet Vet dudes trying to get my dad to make up stuff about his agent orange contact, to the puke at job service when I left the military telling me how his wife went and told the review board he was in pain all the time so he could get a bigger disability check.
This PTSD b.s. is huge. I know a lot of you guys ran around over in Iraq and Afghanistan and from the 4 years I worked in those countries I seen maybe 10 percent of our military force out doing things and not living on their FOB for their whole tour. Yet, it appears there must be some kind of trauma of living on a secured base or every GI that left the base to do their duties was traumatized by the numbers of PTSD claimants!
Too bad there isn't a sure fire way to disprove a PTSD claim and then put the garbage in jail for trying the scam!

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:37   #6
abc_123
Quiet Professional

TS,

Not helpful to who?

Why those who promote the bullshit narrative, of course. Hence the pink font.
Old 07-04-2018, 22:06   #7
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
TS,

Not helpful to who?

Magenta, not Pink. I'm not sure pink's on the pallet. You have to write it in.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:03   #8
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
TS,

Too many get their ptsd crib notes from hollywood's fairyland films.

For the VN era, it's Apocalypse Now and Deerhunter at the top of the list of must study.
Where you emulate Col Kurtz, Cpt Willard, and mix-in copious amounts of nut-job Christopher Walken as Nick

WWI?? All Quiet on the Western Front

WWII?? Catch-22

Koria?? Mash

VN?? Born on the Fourth of July

More choices, Pick your film:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anti-war_films

As far as Iraq and Afghanistan the list is short but blunt.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/aug/14/iraq.film

Destroyed lives, shattered dreams, and mental cases make money at the box office.. And at the VA

Latest POS Poser is a good example of a hollywood trained scammer.

Cori Pierce💩
41 days in the Army
she claims she has PTDS from LCD's 😡
She has a service dog as proof 😡

https://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=80302

ref: LCD - Little Chocolate Donuts

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:05   #9
Badger52
Area Commander

Collateral

This type of horsehockey is the stuff that also gets cherry-picked during testimony of the next gun-control committee hearing by Suspects Known to All as evidence that guns must be taken away from vets "because they could snap at any moment." "I mean, wow Mr. Chairman, this is better than a NYT article - look... Fox!"

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 18:31   #10
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Magenta, not Pink. I'm not sure pink's on the pallet. You have to write it in.

Pat
I guess I slept through art class!

Anyway, it's still a bullshit narrative! I agree with TS!
Old 07-06-2018, 10:34   #11
PRB
Quiet Professional

Lol....as if fireworks sound like incoming or outgoing....

However, I am sure it triggers extreme PTSD in all of the many posers...especially if there is a crowd to play to...oh, the horror.....especially the big sparklie ones...those are killer
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 13:49   #12
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
Lol....as if fireworks sound like incoming or outgoing....

However, I am sure it triggers extreme PTSD in all of the many posers...especially if there is a crowd to play to...oh, the horror.....especially the big sparklie ones...those are killer
How’s this? “No chit, there I was in Torry Borry Affyganstan, sitting with the Joes in the FOB cleaning my AR15 when out of nowhere the Tallybanny breaches the wall with a bunch of M-80s!

They all come swarming in waving two sparklers in each hand. They had Roman candles and bottle rockets as supporting fire! The worst part was when we repelled them out of the FOB each one lit several blocks of Black Cats at once.

We didn’t know where the fire was coming from.

The horror. The horror.”

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:43   #13
PRB
Quiet Professional

Lol...had a visual of the 'two sparklers in each hand'......that takes dexterity!
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote