Old 12-15-2020, 17:08   #2596
Er390
Asset

Introduction

Hey all I’m a Prior service marine, served 08-12, got back into the service this year by joining the army. I’m striving to serve in SF. just finished OSUT and earned an 18 X-Ray contract while here. Hoping to learn as much as possible here throughout the rest of my career.
Er390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 19:52   #2597
TheZenMaster
Asset

Introduction

My name is Dean and I am a former US Marine who served 4 years honorably. My purpose for joining this site is to keep quiet, research, and soak up as much knowledge as I can as it pertains to the path of Special Forces. Ideally this will aid greatly in my arduous pursuit of the quiet professional way of life. I wish to thank all those who contribute to running and maintaining this wealth of knowledge and for allowing me to be a fly on the wall within it.
TheZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 16:27   #2598
AmbushQP
Asset

Returning QP

I have been a member here since 10/25/2009 when the Team Sergeant welcomed me. But i have been away since sometime in 2010. since then i migrated to FB SF Brothers and our other pages. So now with all the stuff going on many of the Brothers are looking for alternate means of maintaining coms. So i am back and will be around the perimeter visiting the different bunkers.

i will be updating my profile somewhat but cautiously as i haven't caught up on how the member vetting works here.

AmbusQP
AmbushQP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:12   #2599
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

This is a re-introduction.

I first joined here in 2004. It remains an honor to be part of this forum.

My day job since the early 1980's is making knives, this includes the design, engineering and metallurgy of knives for production.

It has been Special Forces Soldiers who have greatly influenced my work, from Al Mar (Al Mar Knives) to Col. Rex Applegate of the OSS and continued with my friendships and guidance from members here.

Some of you may have heard of Spartan Blades, I have been involved with those former Special Forces soldiers since before they were announced as business publically.

If it wasn't for the drive and tough mindset of Chris and Anne Reeve of Chris Reeve Knives the Yarborough Knife would never have been made as we know it today.
Anne Reeve now owns and continues run the operation with the help of their son Tim who oversees the production, machines, engineers and machinists.
Chris Reeve is retired from knifemaking. Anne Reeve has been part of the operation since day one back in South Africa.

We have an "Edged Weapons" thread here. I'll try to do a better job of updating content there.

All the best to those who do the hard work.

Bill Harsey

ps. how come this place doesn't have "like" buttons

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 01-29-2021 at 11:25.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 20:23   #2600
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
This is a re-introduction.

I first joined here in 2004. It remains an honor to be part of this forum.

My day job since the early 1980's is making knives, this includes the design, engineering and metallurgy of knives for production.

It has been Special Forces Soldiers who have greatly influenced my work, from Al Mar (Al Mar Knives) to Col. Rex Applegate of the OSS and continued with my friendships and guidance from members here.

Some of you may have heard of Spartan Blades, I have been involved with those former Special Forces soldiers since before they were announced as business publically.

If it wasn't for the drive and tough mindset of Chris and Anne Reeve of Chris Reeve Knives the Yarborough Knife would never have been made as we know it today.
Anne Reeve now owns and continues run the operation with the help of their son Tim who oversees the production, machines, engineers and machinists.
Chris Reeve is retired from knifemaking. Anne Reeve has been part of the operation since day one back in South Africa.

We have an "Edged Weapons" thread here. I'll try to do a better job of updating content there.

All the best to those who do the hard work.

Bill Harsey

Bill
Because we are not Facebook
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 22:08   #2601
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Bill
Because we are not Facebook
I like that!

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:46   #2602
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post

Good to see you Bill!!
Old 01-31-2021, 20:04   #2603
GrindBox
Asset

I’m 16, working full-time under a painting contractor. I’m trying to absorb all the information that I can so that I can succeed on the path to being a green beret.
GrindBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:10   #2604
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Make sure you graduate from High School !!! After that start taking some college courses before you enlist.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 15:44   #2605
Hummer
Asset

Introduction by Hummer

The first person I knew in Group was Capt Lawrence W. Dring Jr formerly 77th. 1st, 5th, 7th, and 46th Co. We met in an airport in Spartanburg, SC We struck up a conversation and he came over to the skydiver hut which was next to main terminal. I gave him a ride home and we hit it off big.
He had been discharged from Walter Reed after he got shot up after being fragged in TET 68 (he was II Corps Mike Force and worked for Col Bob Brown) and since he did not have a degree and needed extensive rehab the Army sent him to Wofford College to get a degree.

He convinced me I should go to college so at 22 I started. He got his degree in 2 1/2 yrs and he tried to extend for another 1 1/2 years and was denied and he got sent to 46th Co.

When he left for 46th he had five Purples and when he got back he had more scars than when he left. One of which he got 3 clicks from Chinese Border.
I had been declared 4F when I turned 18 when signed up for the draft. I tried to get into a MP Co with SC Guard and made a 98 on the ASVAB so I was sent to Ft. Jackson for physical. Some low life retd NG HQ type badmouthed my enlistment.

I had already been competing in the National Smallbore Prone Championships for years and held a Master Rating and in 1973 I started high power competition with my first HP match at Camp Perry with Sgt Earl Waterman who was ARMY MTU and a sniper in Nam. In 1975 I made the 1976 US Palma Team and we won the Palma Trophy Team Match at Camp Perry competing against, England, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa and others from West Indies.
I shot competition until 2013 when I got rear ended and had my neck fused which ended my competition. Guess I was fairly good, as when I quit I also held High Master NRA HP, won US Palma Trophy twice, Centenary Trophy once, Distinguished HP rifle #519 and made President's Hundred twice placing 12th and 99th. Also won three NRA National Police Championships and made the US Dewar Team twice and several regional HP rifle championships. In 82 I was on US Dewar and US Palma Team at the same time. To my knowledge no one else has done so.

Larry Dring got transferred to Bragg after he got back from 46th and I would drive up to see him. His son and me keep in touch. He is now a retired 05.
I graduated USC in 75 and the educational funding I was on required me to stay with my agency for two years after last course completed. In 1977 I started looking at federal positions and decided to try for a federal investigator position and a 05 I was shooting with one weekend gave me advice on how to fill out SF 171 form which was to list as references the three highest ranking people I knew in the government. I knew a weapons engineer for the Army since I was 11 as he and my Dad shot together since the 40s so I tracked him down and called him and asked him if I could list him as a reference.

He told me I could and asked what I was applying for and he stated my skills/knowledge would help the Army far better than I could as a federal investigator and long story short he called the Army Small Cal Weapons Lab at Picatinny Arsenal and recommended me and I got the job. Only then did I find out my friend at Rock Island was not only a wheel but was a Ferris wheel in the Army small arms community.

First off I was assigned to Product Engineering. Once a weapon system is tested and fielded the designers of it are no longer involved in case changes are needed and those changes are brought about by Engineering Change Proposals (ECPs) and or Product Improvement (PIP) and the change is added in the Tech Data Package which consists of all the drawings required to manufacture that weapon along with all the fixtures utilized in their production. Very few weapon systems are "sanitary" which means they are continually changed and each change is listed as a revision on the drawing and issued a letter to designate such thus a changed drawing will have Revision A, B, C. I have seen drawings that revisions were in the AA range.

After my initial training by a guy that was phenomenal and I shall never forget what he told me the first day which was:
1. The latrine is at the end of the hall.
2. The Coffee pot is in bosses office.
3. We don't sign off on anything to make a vendor happy, we are here to get the absolute best we can for the troops and nothing less--IS THAT CLEAR??
Thus that is how i was trained. He was a old bachelor and I was not married so we rented the third floor of a large house in Milford, Pa for three years.
Within about five months I was assigned Product Engineering Responsibility for all rifles, shotguns, sub-machineguns in the Army with the exception of the M16. Subsequently I was assigned catastrophic failure investigation for M16 rifles. We had a blown up M16 come in about every five months.

A presentation was put together for the House Armed Services Committee in order to ask for 1.8 million to build four prototypes for demonstrations to our armed forces and I was one of the ones to help with the effort.

We got the funding which initiated the Dover Devil Special Projects Group and the Chief of the Small Cal Lab asked me to come to the group and I was tasked with making sure we had everything we needed before we needed it thus I was on the road or in the air transporting the materials back to Picatinny Arsenal as needed.
Once the four prototypes were finished a series of presentations to the Army and USMC were conducted. I was re- tasked to presentations at Fort Knox, Ft. Benning , Quantico and the Naval Academy where presentations were made by the two chief designers to General Officers for the first three. I made the presentation at the Naval Academy.

The first presentation was made at Ft Benning as pictured below.
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/thr...project.19011/
That is me firing it in the first thread when site is opened and pictures I added below of the system disassembled.

Then the Chief of the Small Cal Lab got a referral from congress from a mother whose son told her his M16A1 wasn't working in middle eastern dust. The Chief called Aberdeen Proving Ground to run a dust test to ascertain if design revisions had affected the operational characteristics. He was advised that they could get to it in two years. He asked me to drive my 3/4 ton truck down to Aberdeen and pick up 200 lbs of official test dust and I did so.

While at Aberdeen I was introduced to the Branch Chief of the Small Arms and Ammo Test Branch and he offered me a job as Small Arms Test Director and I took it for three reasons. First the Dover Devil program was winding down and our team would be going back to previous duties and the fun would have been over, two the chance of becoming a Certified Small Arms and Ammo Test Director was a once in a lifetime chance and three I would only be 500 miles from home instead of 715 miles so I could take off in the afternoon, drive half way home and sleep in the back of my truck, get up and be home by noon the following day. Last I heard there have only been about 75 people with a small arms and ammo certification bestowed on them since WW2. I accepted the position.
I was certified in about eight months and my first full test was to conduct the technical feasibility testing for the M16A1E1 (adopted as M16A2) in 1983 by USMC and Army. The USMC Project Manager wanted to interview the named test director as he wanted him to possess specific skills and I was directed to go to TECOM HQ for a meeting and went. I walked in and Maj Bruce Wincentsen USMC was the only one there and when we saw each other we both started grinning as we knew each other and had shot together for years. The interview lasted about 30 seconds after he found out I was going to be his test director and he asked me one question: "What's your home phone number?" "Here's mine."

That test consumed 244,000+ rounds and lasted about a year. As that test wound down I got a call from the Army Materials Systems Analysis Agency (AMSAA) from Lt. Col Buck Weaver (retd) who wanted me to conduct testing on the first AK-74 to come into the US possession. It was a close hold operation and they wanted it tested on the weekends when very few people were around and it was done down range where no one would see what we were doing. Buck took the targets with him every day and placed in their secure area. I did not get released to talk about it until 2016 as the first two reports are still classified and a third one has been released. See below.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16L...nhtFG8hLfGoDFg

Following that the AMSAA Analyst Weaver called me again and I was asked to lay out what the requirements should be to develop a 50 cal sniper rifle capable of MOA at 1500 yards. I told him immediately there was no Cal 50 ammo capable of such a small dispersion in our inventory and laid out other problems he was going to run into. Ultimately this led to the development of the 338 Lapua Magnum.
About that same time frame I was called by a contact I had in US Secret Service who told me he and another recommended me for a position with another agency who wanted a ordnance type which would only be 300 miles from home and I accepted. I now wish I had never accepted it but I had come to realize certain management at the Proving Ground did not possess what had been instilled in me which is reflected in item No 3 above.

Other friends that were in group are SGM Kaiser Thomas 10th(deceased), SGM William Atkinson 10th who I keep in touch with, SGM Brion Remington 10th who I keep in touch with and M/ Sgt Joe Owens Medic in Group who called me a few days ago.

Finally Lt Col Brown, SOF Magazine recommended me for NRA Board of Directors
https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/...f-355cf36fd43f page 6 Command Guidance

Last edited by Hummer; 02-08-2021 at 09:06.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:11   #2606
Winnebago
Asset

21 Y/O Guard Soldier, 13B. Been enlisted for 3 years. Training every day for selection, going to go through SFRE in April. Really glad I found this forum, there's so much info and answers to a lot of the questions I have.

I've wanted to go SOF when I was in BCT and fell in love with the Army. At a point in my career where I believe I'm mature enough to take a shot at selection. My unit has not deployed in 12 years and I'm not eligible for any volunteer deployments (nobody likes Arty I guess), but I have been on my states Full Time Honor Guard team for 2 years.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Winnebago; 04-04-2021 at 08:05.
Winnebago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 15:08   #2607
Bigmarty
Asset

New User

Good afternoon QPs,

probably a little older than most newbies here, at 28. Previously a college athlete and currently pursuing an 18(c) contract. Grateful for the endless knowledge here and looking forward to continuing to learn all I can.
Bigmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 17:04   #2608
ChristianPA
Asset

Introduction

Pre-Physician Assistant Student (interested in emergency medicine) and current PTA in a rehabilitation hospital, with the intent to serve my country and its protectors in the PA National Guard (Interested in working with an SF 19th/20th unit after a few years of service).

Due to my current status as a student, I'm going to stay out of everyone's way for now until I prove myself through my future career. Appreciate the opportunity to learn from all y'all QP's and Professional Soldiers.
ChristianPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:23   #2609
RobGraham
Asset

Hi I am Rob Graham, director of Savage Game Design Ltd. a United Kingdom based video game studio, working with the Special Operations Association and many ex-MACV SOG veterans and airmen to bring their stories to life.

Here to ask pertinent questions towards our goals.
Open to questions from all SF veterans and people interested in SF.

You are welcome to check my credentials any time via SOA president Doug Godshall, or former SOA president John Stryker Meyer (both MACV SOG RT leaders).

Thanks for allowing me to participate in your community.
RobGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 19:08   #2610
wizardofoz
Asset

Introduction - Oz

Hello,

My name is Nate. My friends call me Oz (Never be a kid from kansas and wear read shoes lol). Graduating from Community College in December. Currently in the progress of going into the DEP for the 18X contract. Super stoked to be able to learn from the community! Thank you all for this forum and the opportunity to be apart of it!

- Oz
wizardofoz is offline   Reply With Quote