Old 04-27-2012, 13:13   #181
Rob_Frey
Guerrilla

I've been using a Remington 700 SSDM with a 24" barrel and a Leupold 2.5 - 8 Vari-X III in .260 Rem. for deer hunting for about 11 or 12 years. There's not many chances for long range shooting at deer here in Wisconsin, usually 150 yards is the longest shot. I have been using the 100 grain Barnes X Bullet with 43 grains of Varget, but Barnes discontinued those bullets years ago. I have 20 rounds left, so I will have to work up a new load this year to make sure I am ready when I do finally run out of my old load. I've only recovered one bullet, which was under the hide on the rump after penetrating from the chest to that point through the length of the deer.

I guess it's not really a precision rifle, but I did do a pillar bedding job on it, make sure the barrel is free-floated, adjust the factory trigger to 3.5 pounds, and cut the stock to fit me adding a Pachmayr Sporting Clays recoil pad on it. That load I'm using will shoot .625 inch groups in my rifle all the time though.

I'm a 6.5mm fan(atic) who decided on that caliber while researching what cartridge to build my custom rifle project gun in for gunsmithing school. I started looking at .25 caliber, but the ballistics of the 6.5's and the range of bullet weights available was far superior. I ended up going with a 6.5 x 55 Ackley Improved Swedish Mauser. I had to use a '98 Mauser for the project gun to learn and perform the required modifications for a grade. I used a Shilen CM Match barrel in their 5 1/2 contour, which is pretty heavy to lug around the woods however.
Rob_Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 13:17   #182
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Frey View Post
I used a Shilen CM Match barrel in their 5 1/2 contour, which is pretty heavy to lug around the woods however.
Good barrel.
Old 04-27-2012, 13:19   #183
Rob_Frey
Guerrilla

Yes, it will shoot cloverleaf groups. I used Chrome-moly so I could blue it. I also used a Timney Deluxe trigger, a Tubb Titanium Speedlock firing pin, a Vais muzzle brake, Timney Buehler-style Low Safety, Lenard Brownell bolt handle and Fajen XX Claro Walnut stock with real ebony fore-end tip. I have Burris Signature 4 - 16x Scope on it too.

Last edited by Rob_Frey; 04-27-2012 at 13:31.
Old 04-27-2012, 13:39   #184
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Frey View Post
Yes, it will shoot cloverleaf groups. I used Chrome-moly so I could blue it. I also used a Timney Deluxe trigger, a Tubb Titanium Speedlock firing pin, a Vais muzzle brake, Timney Buehler-style Low Safety, Lenard Brownell bolt handle and Fajen XX Claro Walnut stock with real ebony fore-end tip. I have Burris Signature 4 - 16x Scope on it too.
Is that Timney better than a Jewell on a 700 platform?
Old 04-27-2012, 14:40   #185
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
A lot depends upon what you like. The first aftermarket trigger I got long ago was a Timmney and I have it adjusted to have a lot of slack because that is what I grew up with and I am comfortable shooting with a lot of slack. I have a Jewell and a "worked" Remington with no slack. When hunting in cold weather I sometimes have problems with cold fingers and light triggers. The Jewell is one of those that has a "scritch" to it and sometimes but not always, it hangs just a little before breaking. As far as I am concerned, I hunt with my triiggers set at 2# and I am fine with a worked Rem trigger. I am not paying to have an aftermarket trigger installed on my new rifle.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 14:50   #186
koz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Jewells have had more history of problems (if you're running the gun hard in the field) than Timneys. Jewell makes a great trigger, but it likes to be clean. The Timney / Shilen/ Remington can handle dirt & grime better. I'm running old Remington or Shilen triggers and have never had a problem.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 14:53   #187
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by koz View Post
Jewells have had more history of problems (if you're running the gun hard in the field) than Timneys. Jewell makes a great trigger, but it likes to be clean. The Timney / Shilen/ Remington can handle dirt & grime better. I'm running old Remington or Shilen triggers and have never had a problem.
I'm putting together a .300 WinMag, but I haven't decided on the trigger or stock, yet. Prolly go with a Timney, though, just by reason of less reported problems.
Old 04-27-2012, 16:19   #188
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I have no aftermarket triggers in my bolt guns.

A reworked Remington or Winchester set to 2# or so works fine for me.

I have shot sub-half MOA groups with both.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 16:32   #189
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I have no aftermarket triggers in my bolt guns.

A reworked Remington or Winchester set to 2# or so works fine for me.

I have shot sub-half MOA groups with both.

TR
I wouldn't mind leaving the trigger alone if I can get it shaved right, but I really got used the break on the Richard Jewell on the .308. That thing always surprises me, as long as I pull it dead nuts.
Old 04-27-2012, 18:44   #190
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I have four Winchesters with stock triggers, cleaned and tweaked. My one Remington has a Jewell. I'm just not that impressed with Remington's triggers.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 20:11   #191
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

I will now give my standard warning about tweaking Remy triggers...............

Be very damn careful, and make sure they are locked in once you are through.

More slam fires and fires by taking weapon off safe has occurred due to golden screwdriver action then anything Remy has caused.

Second warning, for a weapon going to the field take care in triggers with a break weight less than 2 lbs.

This completes this safety bulletin.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 19:01   #192
Rob_Frey
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Maybe not "better", but more appropriate for the platform. I was in gunsmithing school from '94 - '96 and the Timney Featherweight (I mis-remembered the name "Deluxe" I think) was the best trigger choice available for the '98 Mauser at that time. I have my trigger set at 3 pounds on this one.

I just looked in my Brownells catalog, and see the trigger I have is called the "Featherweight" and the "Featherweight Deluxe" has a safety on the side. My trigger does not have a safety on it, I use the Mauser safety on the bolt shroud with a low profile lever.

I have put Timney triggers on Remington 700's when I could not get the factory trigger to come out the way I wanted them to. Sometimes the factory makes a bad one, and the best way to solve the problem is to replace it. I've seen the chrome plating on the engagement surface chipped off and then the pull feels gritty and it will not be possible to fix it.

The factory spring in the Rem. trigger cannot be adjusted below 2 lbs. and function reliably, longerange1947 's warning is correct. I always put epoxy over the adjustment screws afterwards to prevent them from moving and to keep customers from messing with them.
Old 04-29-2012, 20:20   #193
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post

More slam fires and fires by taking weapon off safe has occurred due to golden screwdriver action then anything Remy has caused.
I'll be damned. When I was 16 years old, I put a hole in the floorboard of my pickup with a 700 remington with a worked trigger. I never did figure out what caused that thing to go off. My Dad came running out of the house, asked me if I was alright, then called me a dumb S.O.B.(he was a pretty hard Korea infantry vet).

That was one of the old 700's, that had to be put on "fire" to raise the bolt. I wish I would have known this when he was alive.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:25   #194
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
a 700 remington with a worked trigger.
I spent about four hours one day trying to adjust a Rem 700 trigger built in the early 1970's and could never get it below about 5# without slam firing. I finally gave up and took it to my gunsmith. He said the key is to have it totally degreased and to keep it that way.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:37   #195
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
I spent about four hours one day trying to adjust a Rem 700 trigger built in the early 1970's and could never get it below about 5# without slam firing. I finally gave up and took it to my gunsmith. He said the key is to have it totally degreased and to keep it that way.
I believe I'll just stick with Jewell after listening to you guys.