Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 06-21-2006, 21:03   #31
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

GSG9s for $126
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:47   #32
Capt_G
Asset

BL, the old "classic" GSG-9 design has been replaced. Supposedly Adidas is dumping the remaining stocks on the clearance market. GSG-9s were manufactured a little over a year ago in both green as well as tan for the UK market and most found their way on to Ebay.
Capt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 14:13   #33
Basicload
Asset

Yeah Doc,

The "Sky God" himself.
Old 06-23-2006, 16:16   #34
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

JJ was my Drill Sergeant in Basic Training. Yeah, he's OLD! LOL
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-24-2006, 03:49   #35
Basicload
Asset

He has aged quite nicely Doc.

I did not mean to sound too down on him, he is actually not bad as a CSM here.

He told the fobbits that they cannot wear pin-on scare badges and authorized watch caps and black fleece as outer garments.

He wants to do the right thing as a warfighter and take care of soldiers, but I think that he is just SO far removed from the guy in the trenches that he misses stuff.

He visited a unit and asked about Iraqi soldier's pay problems. The American NCO questioned later came to me and said "what about MY fucking soldiers pay problems"? The sergeant was offended that his serior enlisted advisior was "towing the party line".

Despite all of this, I think that JJ is pretty good at what he does here and we could have it a lot worse.

PIC REMOVED

Last edited by Basicload; 06-24-2006 at 10:18. Reason: Edited because NDD had already seen the PIC.
Basicload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:36   #36
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

LOL - he has aged well, doesn't look a whole lot different than he did in '80. Still has that sort of crazy look on his mug. I'll bet he still bums Copenhagen too.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:57   #37
Jeff22
Asset

GSG9 boots

I think the GSG9 boots are fine for around town and light duty hiking boots.

I wear them on duty (as a cop) April through October and get about 4 years out of a pair before the soles wear down. I haven't had any problems with them splitting or anything. I do wear insoles in them to get more arch support.
Jeff22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 13:15   #38
geronimo
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basicload
Anyway back on subject. Geronimo, get me some poop on these magic shoes. I'm thinking that E-bay will not have them in 12.5.

Hey I'm stuck in your big FOB down south waiting for a flight up north. Why are you not here to pick me up in an Air Conditioned NTV and take me out for Green Beans double non-fat rasberry mocha Chai latte with a twist? Consider yourself counseled......
Sorry bro, I asked and everyone here who has a pair got them from e-bay.

As for the other question...
I had some stuff come up that required me to stay home. Besides, I'm more of a fall and wintertime guy. It is to hot over there right now. I'll try to get my time in once it cools back off.

Enjoy the heat!
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:13   #39
Christophe
Guerrilla

I have a pair of black Oakleys and I find them very comfortable but a bit warm in summer.Only real drawback is that they are slippery as hell on a wet surface.Falling on your face during a foot pursuit is embarassing to say the least so I only wear them in dry weather.
I also have a pair of BATES Falcons;they have the same type of sole as the Adidas´and are excellent for the job I do.Also they are cheaper than Adidas´and easier to get here in Belgium.
Does anyone know if the Royal Robbins HRT boots are any good (for LE work)?
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:20   #40
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe
Does anyone know if the Royal Robbins HRT boots are any good (for LE work)?
Comfortable as sneakers and hot as Hell.

On a long warm day, trenchfoot waiting to happen.

Search for the reviews here.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:28   #41
Christophe
Guerrilla

Reaper,
thanks for the info,I´ll go look around.
What I am currently looking for are sturdy boots, leather, with a sole that doesn´t melt right away when walking through fire.During molotov training all the guys wearing Hi-Tecs and the likes had their soles melt.The only boots that hold up to that kind of abuse are our issued Belgian army boots,but they are uncomfortable to wear.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:06   #42
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Reaper,
thanks for the info,I´ll go look around.
What I am currently looking for are sturdy boots, leather, with a sole that doesn´t melt right away when walking through fire.During molotov training all the guys wearing Hi-Tecs and the likes had their soles melt.The only boots that hold up to that kind of abuse are our issued Belgian army boots,but they are uncomfortable to wear.
I would look for an oil-resistant sole, maybe like the jungle boots or Wellcos. The sole will be the key.

Doubtful that the 5.11s would hold up to that.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 07-10-2006, 12:21   #43
Christophe
Guerrilla

I dunno about current jungle boots but the Nam-era boots had cloth sides.Not ideal for me.I´ll look around for the Welcos.
Thanks a lot for your help Reaper.

Chris.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:49   #44
Christophe
Guerrilla

Thumbs up

Reaper,
I visited the Wellco website.They seem to have some great boots.I like the BILCTS.If I cannot get them here I think I will get the Danner Acadia which is similar and available here.

Again,thanks for the help Reaper.

Chris.
Old 07-10-2006, 13:00   #45
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Reaper,
I visited the Wellco website.They seem to have some great boots.I like the BILCTS.If I cannot get them here I think I will get the Danner Acadia which is similar and available here.

Again,thanks for the help Reaper.

Chris.
I have the Acadias as well.

There are at least two versions, one the normal insulated version with GoreTex and the other a lighter, vented version. They are great boots, and are the kind that should last a life time. Unfortunately, they are significantly more expensive than the Wellcos and some have fabric uppers.

TR