Old 09-19-2008, 21:58   #1
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Old Gerber Model

Does anyone remember a Gerber Multi-tool called "The Trailmaster" or "Trailsman"? It was just like the other plier tools except that one of the tools that folded out of the handle was actually a hoof pick. I myself have one that I picked up several years back but I can't find anymore. My reason for asking is because I've been assigned to build a new ODA in my company, designated as a "Heavy" mountain team. The "Heavy" part refers to using pack stock. I was hoping to find and allocate enough to give to each of my guys to add to their kit. If anyone can assist me on this I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:25   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Do you have a picture?? Most hoof picks are simple 90 deg bent nail and I can't see how it would fit a multi-tool?? (c attached pic)

pointers:

1)call gerber (or leatherman or SOG) and ask if they can put a hook in a special run of one of their models..

2)have a local tool shop create a hook that can be put in a stock tool.

3)take a stock tool and alter on of the tools, maybe the "wood saw" or "nail file" into a hook, just make sure it re-harened..

I'd also ask your veterinarian and/or ferrier what other mod's you can do to a multi-tool for field use. You will also need a ferrier tool set,, shoe material, nail rasp, nippers, etc..

Good Luck,, and let us know what you end up doing..

ADDED:

After reading my note I found the geometry,,, The hook can easily be added to any tool,, Rather than have the hook rotate out 180 deg, it can stop at 90 deg,, but that leave you with a short handle,, your knuckles will be dragging across the hoof/nail as you pick??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hoof_Pick.jpg (22.5 KB, 27 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 09-20-2008 at 07:07.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote