Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-16-2008, 17:39   #1
AerovacTech
Asset

Rocket Fin replacement strap

Went to adjust the strap to my fins and it broke. Anyone know where I can get a new one at or will I need to buy new fins? On a positive note, I didn't let it affect my workout today.
AerovacTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 18:33   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Any local dive shop can sell you a generic replacement strap. Get 4-5 of them they're cheap and spares are insurance. Fair warning - the rubber versions are subject to dry-rot, don't expect them to last forever in storage. Prudent people replace them as pairs and DISCARD the old ones. Silicone ones are slippery, expect to have to adjust them frequently if you're still using the original rocket fin buckles. FWIW - USD/Aqualung makes a replacement kit (buckles and straps) that upgrades the fins to something a little more "modern". Not everybody likes them but those that do won't use anything else. NOTE: Aqualung has a military sales department; they might be able to help you directly. They were always user friendly when I dealt directly but that's been 7+ years ago. HTH
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 18:45   #3
AerovacTech
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Any local dive shop can sell you a generic replacement strap. Get 4-5 of them they're cheap and spares are insurance. Fair warning - the rubber versions are subject to dry-rot, don't expect them to last forever in storage. Prudent people replace them as pairs and DISCARD the old ones. Silicone ones are slippery, expect to have to adjust them frequently if you're still using the original rocket fin buckles. FWIW - USD/Aqualung makes a replacement kit (buckles and straps) that upgrades the fins to something a little more "modern". Not everybody likes them but those that do won't use anything else. NOTE: Aqualung has a military sales department; they might be able to help you directly. They were always user friendly when I dealt directly but that's been 7+ years ago. HTH
Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping there would be an upgrade to the current straps that are on there. They are really tough to adjust and don't seem to stay as tight on my feet as well as they should. I even wear booties while wearing them. After I get done swimming, no matter what type of water, I always rinse and clean them with fresh water.
AerovacTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 20:02   #4
Longstreet
Guerrilla

A little late, but it may help.

Although Rocket Fins are not prefered in the DIR diving community (we prefer Scubapro Jet Fins), most divers have replaced their rubber straps with SS springs - which can fit on Rocket Fins. I am not sure if they are advisable for military applications, but I do know that several well known technical divers (Jarrod Jablonski to name one) do use them.

They are not cheap, and can be a PITA to install, but once done, they never need replacing. You can check them out here:

http://www.spring-straps.com/

This is one site, but there are many others. Just remember that when you install them, make sure you place a piece of rope in the spring so that you do not over stretch them. I hope this helps.
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 20:11   #5
Snaquebite
Area Commander

First Google search brought up this

http://shop.navyseals.com/dive-accessories-75.html

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote