Old 01-25-2006, 20:08   #61
geronimo
Asset

Longtab, I'm not quite a young Joe anymore and that post made me think, I wish I had more guys mentor me like that when I was a younger stud.

Thanks for the time that you took to put that down. I'm gonna be using that line alot!
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 20:35   #62
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Which one Brah? His post was full of them!

Longtab, one of the best posts I've seen on the internet.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 21:03   #63
geronimo
Asset

"Might you have to _______ in combat"?
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 21:23   #64
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I liked the guy thing too. Wait...
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 15:03   #65
ropadope
BANNED USER

Blackhawk anyone?

I recently purchased a Blackhawk RAPTOR for hiking, but was dissapointed in that the side pouches were specifically for radio and flares, kem-lights etc. Overall the ruck has lasted over 200 miles of hiking, and far more comfortable than the ALICE ruck. Just looking for some other experience with the Blackhawk products.

Ropadope (Static line ABN)
ropadope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 16:36   #66
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropadope
I recently purchased a Blackhawk RAPTOR for hiking, but was dissapointed in that the side pouches were specifically for radio and flares, kem-lights etc. Overall the ruck has lasted over 200 miles of hiking, and far more comfortable than the ALICE ruck. Just looking for some other experience with the Blackhawk products.

Ropadope (Static line ABN)
Ropeadope, you have already been advised to familiarize yourself with the search button.

Look for "Blackhawk", there should be plenty of experience for you to peruse.

If you are trying to set a record for post count on your first day, it is about to end badly for you.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 18:50   #67
ObliqueApproach
Quiet Professional

Fire for effect!

Ropeadope,

7 posts today and 2 yesterday! I personally would get my head down ASAP, because TS is shortly going to be firing for effect.

My .02 mate.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:19   #68
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor
I swear by the ALICE. Call me old school.
Best thing is the tactical taylor additions.

Two additions to the ALICE that are well worth the money:

1. the extended closing sewn into the top of the main ruck (to keep stuff from falling out).

2. The enlarged top flap....which is where I kept the things I needed quick access to in the dark (ranger handbook, black watch cap, etc)

JM

I agree with Warrior Mentor, and many other on this Tread.

I would tell new Studs going through the SFQC. If your going to spend some money.. go down to General Jackson, buy a Alice and get it modified by Willie.

One thing I would say to buy is the Extreme Top Lid (XTL) by Kifaru in lieu of the modified ruck top flap that most places do. You have to added some new tabs on your Ruck, but this thing is the heat for top room.

http://www.kifaru.net/MG_XTL.htm

For the missions we are asked to perform these days, you need to be light and self contained and NO EXPENSE SHOULD BE SPARED to see that objective met. Having two packs, your team day pack plus your Mod Alice is the way to go.

I bought an Alice back in 1992, fixed it at a show repair at NTC in 1994, then a repair during the SFQC by Willie. I added a new side pocket in 2003. Cost me about 200.00 back in 1992. Do the math, money well spent.

The SPARES Ruck, Sucks.. 11-13 Lbs empty.. WTF was the Army or G8 think when they BOIP that system. Civilian that hasn’t been under the weight, just behind a desk for 10 years. BS

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 18:48   #69
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

MtnGoat wrote:

I would tell new Studs going through the SFQC. If your going to spend some money.. go down to General Jackson, buy a Alice and get it modified by Willie.

Amen to that! I had my ALICE modified by Willie years ago and it was the best money I ever spent. I had the following done:

1. All straps converted to quick release (BSR-1A clips)

2. Claymore pouch added over the 3 small snap pockets top rear of pack.

3. Compression bag added on the botton for sleeping gear/poncho ect.

5. Left side pcket running entire length of bag, 3" x 19" 6", zipper top. Fits Pocket Hotel and hydration bladder.

6. Right side pocket 3" x 11" x 6", zipper top.

7. 2 qt canteen straps on right side under new pocket.

With the proper stuff sacks (colored coded) I can find anything relatively quick inside. I still use my Early Winters (remeber them?) stuff sacks fro my BT days.

The reason I settled on ALICE was the fact that I can carry a butt pack on my pistol belt and M-1956 LBE suspenders (rigged with 550 cord, cut the metal buckles off) comfortably. The butt pack gives you a small day pack and it's easy to rig a 60oz or 100oz hydration pack on the back of the suspenders as well. I always felt that you need an e&e kit in you butpack so if you coudn't get back to your main ruck you can survive.
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:26   #70
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I used a modified ALICE for many years, I carried it on a modified jungle ruck frame. Good gear if the only thing you can use has to be issue. Or at least, have originally been issued.

Civilian rucks generally do not have the external pockets needed for military use. You have to be able to get to food, ammo, batteries, rain gear, Claymores, IVs, antennas, etc. quickly at all times. Your average backpacker does not have that need.

Just got a set of the long side pockets for my Kifaru Navigator.

Great accessory, makes for easy access to frequently needed items like rain gear, food, etc.

The Kifaru packs are bulletproof, superbly designed and constructed, carry almost like they are part of you.

No, you may not use them at SFAS or in the SFQC.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 08-31-2006, 18:19   #71
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
I agree with Warrior Mentor, and many other on this Tread.

One thing I would say to buy is the Extreme Top Lid (XTL) by Kifaru in lieu of the modified ruck top flap that most places do. You have to added some new tabs on your Ruck, but this thing is the heat for top room.

http://www.kifaru.net/MG_XTL.htm
MtnGoat,

Thanks for the tip on the XTL. I ordered one. What's the best way to mod an ALICE to use it? Do you keep the existing flap or is it removed/moded? Where did you add clips?
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 20:12   #72
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoresteen
MtnGoat,

Thanks for the tip on the XTL. I ordered one. What's the best way to mod an ALICE to use it? Do you keep the existing flap or is it removed/moded? Where did you add clips?

That does look sharp! I'd be interested in how to use that with a large ALICE, too.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 22:22   #73
Mel
Asset

Hey guys, for those of you wondering about how to use one of our XTL's on your ALICE packs, here's a link to a thread on our message board with some pics I took of an XTL on an ALICE. I also explain how I did it. Hope this might help you guys that were interested in this setup.

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimat...=001594#000000

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 22:43   #74
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Nice looking set-up, Mel.

Thanks for the picture show!

TR

Old 09-08-2006, 23:55   #75
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Local

[QUOTE]go down to General Jackson[QUOTE]

Buy on line unless you want throw money away. Lots of sewing shops cheaper also. Or drive over to a Gear maker. There are plenty in Fay. Search on here. Or ask around. Some of the best in Fay work out of their Garage. Need it fast go with a big on line Company? Has the Army officially change from the old Alice from as late as 2001?