Gene, which Wolf primers would you use for:

1. 5.56 A193
2. 5.56 MK262
3. 7.62 M80
4. 7.62 M118
5. 9mm Luger
6. .40 S&W
7. .45 ACP

Also, what else has worked well for you in the past besides Wolf? More importantly, what hasn't worked well?

I'm getting set up here for reloading the above loads.
OPT:

I am only shooting Wolf Small Rifle Magnum Primers. I use them and CCI-450's in the 6 AR, 6.5 Grendel, 6 BR, and 6.5 BR. Have tried BR primers and regular primers in all these cartridges and although it surprised me and I question some of it today, I just found that the Wolf SR Magnum primers gave as good accuracy as any of the others if not better and at a lower cost. Also, I believe they are slightly larger in diameter which has benefits when you are using high pressure cartridges. Just remember that I am not shooting Bench Rest competition with them. I don't know what bench rest shooters use.

I would not use a magnum primer for the 5.56 you describe. I have not fired any Wolf primers aside from the SR Magnum so can't comment on their other primers. I also wouldn't use a BR primer for them as I doubt you will realize any difference. So I go with Remington and CCI Small Rifle Primers. If I wanted to push accuracy with the 5.56 I would use CCI-BR-4 primers and see what happens. Probably nothing more than with a regular small rifle primer.

Same goes for the 7.62. For blasting ball ammo use what ever you want to get rid of. Won't matter if they are magnum, bench rest, or regular primers. Load them and blast away.

For the long range loads using large rifle primers -- I go with Federal 210 Match or CCI BR-2. I do think the Bench Rest primer may have an edge here.

I doubt you will find any gross differences in performance between primers. Much of it is your definition of what constitutes significance. I bought a thousand of those military primers and knew within twenty shots that they were not as good as any other 'civilain' primer I had used. They did make a difference which also surprised me.

I won't say that one is better than another. There are many web sites that go on and on about primers. I don't get excited over primers. I just try out things and use what I believe works the best for my purposes.

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote