Old 12-18-2015, 16:49   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

+P

I just got a S&W 642. Trying to find ammo, and the only JHP I can find is +P. Gun is rated for it, but I'm not sure I like the idea of overpressure.

What do you guys think of +P ammo, especially for use in a 642?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 17:44   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
I just got a S&W 642. Trying to find ammo, and the only JHP I can find is +P. Gun is rated for it, but I'm not sure I like the idea of overpressure.

It's a 642. Most are carried a lot, shot (almost) never. For that you only need 5 rounds of JHP. 5 rounds of +P isn't going to hurt the revolver and if you ever have to use it, you'll never remember it was +P anyway. By the same token, use cheap stuff to practice with. If you don't have much experience with the 642, you'll want a decent amount of practice, at least initially.

I tell you these things because the wife has one - and I know whereof I speak.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 17:47   #3
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:

When I carried a 442 around, I used the heaviest Buffalo Bore plus P. It's a .38-you need the extra oomph. It's harder to shoot follow-ups and it' a bear to clean if you use the flatnosed lead, but if you ever have to put a hole in a BG, you'll be glad you did.

IMO, that round will deliver a lighting-bolt effect.

I'm weird, though-I like .45 over 9 mm and 45-70 over .270.
Old 12-18-2015, 18:26   #4
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
It's a 642. Most are carried a lot, shot (almost) never. For that you only need 5 rounds of JHP. 5 rounds of +P isn't going to hurt the revolver and if you ever have to use it, you'll never remember it was +P anyway. By the same token, use cheap stuff to practice with. If you don't have much experience with the 642, you'll want a decent amount of practice, at least initially.

I tell you these things because the wife has one - and I know whereof I speak.
So practice with something other than what I will shoot if I have to use the weapon?
Old 12-18-2015, 18:58   #5
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
So practice with something other than what I will shoot if I have to use the weapon?
Not to but in, but I shot 115 gr for practice.
It don't take long to practice with Buffalo Bore:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/171...heck-box-of-20
Old 12-18-2015, 19:19   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt. Emphatically in fact.

It's more fun.
It's cheaper.
It's less fatiguing.

All of which means you will practice a lot more.
You will get better results. Remember - (perfect) practice makes perfect and you will get much better results with modest practice ammo.

When it comes time to "do the deed" you won't know the difference (and that first box of JHPs will last you years - so get good ones!). NOTE: I am NOT saying you shouldn't occasionally shoot your carry ammo; on the contrary, you must shoot it occasionally for familiarity and to keep the ammo rotated. It's just that you don't need to shoot a steady diet of it.

Here's a link to a pretty good article about 642s: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...son-model-642/ There is a decent mix of humor and wisdom here with very little "reading between the lines" required.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 21:08   #7
Oldrotorhead
Guerrilla Chief

Speer, Remington and others make a +P for short barrel revolvers. If you can't pick up the front sight paint it orange or red with enamel paint the paint is cheap and if it doesn't work for you it is easily removed. A little black magic marker on the back cut of the rear V "sight" may help too.
Old 12-18-2015, 22:58   #8
PSM
Area Commander

While I can put bullets through bullet holes (not necessarily the preceding one ) with my USPc .45 at 7 yards, I have yet to hit the target with my wife's LCR 9mm at the same distance. And when you've only got 5 chances...

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:41   #9
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I don't know of any current S&W J frames that can't eat +P all day long.. I thought they had stretched the frame .1 inch and the current models use the .357 Mag cylinder??

As an owner if a 342, Lite the older 10oz version of the current 642/442 J frames,, the limit is the pain your hands can handle..

I use anything for the range. It's a 25ft last choice defense. So I don't dwell on ballistics..

Having said that.. When I do carry the 342, I carry Speer Gold Dot "SHORT BARREL". It's +P, but also tuned to 2-3 inch barrels, without pressure problems.

AND I carry two speed sticks, the 8rd version.

My $00.00002

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 18:49   #10
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Thanks to all of you.

And Peregrino, that article was terrific.

Last edited by Roguish Lawyer; 12-20-2015 at 18:58.
Old 12-20-2015, 20:11   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Unless you shoot 3x a week and are an animal stay away from +P ammo.
Old 12-21-2015, 00:30   #12
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Unless you shoot 3x a week and are an animal stay away from +P ammo.
My P08 Luger loves +P ammo and we are celebrating its 100th Birthday next year. Anything less than +P and it tends to smokestack. This is probably due to it being made by Erfurt and not Smith & Wesson. It does take two more rounds though and is hellishly accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0180.JPG (104.8 KB, 38 views)
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:38   #13
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymullins View Post
This is probably due to it being made by Erfurt and not Smith & Wesson.
lol

9mm plus p is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to inch the power of a weak-sister caliber closer to that of the magnificent and venerable .45 ACP.

It's like putting a four-barrel carb in a Pinto.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:59   #14
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
lol

9mm plus p is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to inch the power of a weak-sister caliber closer to that of the magnificent and venerable .45 ACP.

It's like putting a four-barrel carb in a Pinto.
Ha ha. Yip, it has quite a good reputation here though as it penetrates well and a lot of our shooting involves shooting through car doors and windows. That said, one of my carry guns is the Star PD .45 so I am a great believer in the .45 for one-shot put-downs. With a 9mm. the crazy ones keep coming unless you shoot them in the right spot, and that came be very small.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:51   #15
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymullins View Post
With a 9mm. the crazy ones keep coming unless you shoot them in the right spot, and that came be very small.
CONCUR

Especially after runnin' up a few hundred ML's of liquid adrenalin...