Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 02-27-2014, 18:36   #1
salvo
SF Candidate

Getting out: Question about resumes & jobs

Gents,

Getting out. Had a good run, my resume is looking good thanks to the not-unattractive ACAP counselor. But I feel like a douche when I read it.

I'm applying for management-type jobs that have high visibility for the companies, because I like building rapport and making the "sale"

I've built a LinkedIn profile per my counselor's advice, but I can't stand the idea of getting up there and bragging about this school, and that deployment, and the relationship I built with this politician, or that NATO LNO... just seems totally masturbatory and Hall of Shame material... but it seems like its the only way to compete against people who will brag about the number of f'ing twitter follower they have. I even found a guy who lists all his medals...?!?!

Got any advice? Tempest in a teapot? ? Anyone gotten out who wants to show how they did it? Is all fair when you're trying to compete for a top job?

Thanks for taking the time.

Last edited by salvo; 02-27-2014 at 18:44.
salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 20:58   #2
Joker
Quiet Professional

If YOU get out, who is going to toot YOUR horn, if YOU don't?
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 21:09   #3
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

This a joke?

You stated that you like to "make the sale",,,

And yet you come here soliciting advice on how to make yourself marketable, all the while diminishing and marginalizing the experiences you accumulated while in service? If you don't value your own time effort and sacrifices, why should anyone else?

Why are you special?

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:11   #4
BoomerUSMC
Asset

From the perspective of someone that does the hiring, Joker and blue are spot on. Sell yourself!!

I look for veterans first to fill any open positions I have, not because I'm a veteran myself, but because the military provides what colleges don't - leadership skills, self-motivation, and the odd combination of being able to work within a team and yet conversely work independently as well.

Play up the leadership aspects if you're looking at management positions and highlight/expound upon the commonalities between the job you're looking for and it's .mil correlation.
BoomerUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:31   #5
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Did you graduate from the Q course?

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:26   #6
BoomerUSMC
Asset

Thought I was helping. Mea culpa.
BoomerUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:01   #7
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerUSMC View Post
Thought I was helping. Mea culpa.
Sorry, the question is directed at Salvo.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:43   #8
Firedude
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
If YOU get out, who is going to toot YOUR horn, if YOU don't?
+1
You have a leg up over any snot-nosed college kid. Let your experiences/training be known to potential employers (within OPSEC).

The VA has many programs available to help with job placement.
http://www.va.gov/jobs/
Good luck, the water isn't too bad out here!
Brian
Old 02-28-2014, 11:22   #9
Toaster
Guerrilla

My apologies if this causes offense or is slightly off point, it's simply what I've come to the understanding of. This is roughly how I would sell me, were I in your shoes. I'm also not sure as to what kind of career field you're wanting to go into...

My understanding is that a Special Forces Soldier is capable of meeting people from a foriegn culture, establishing good rapport, convincing others that they can assist them in what they want done, train them in better techniques and tactics, and be responsible for many people who they have had a short period of time to be in contact with.

To do that they must be able to learn the cultural norms of the society they'll be working in. This is incredibly useful because businesses are increasingly working with people from foriegn countries, China, Japan, etc... How many of your competiters have ever been in a strange and hostile land where people do weird things?

All members of the Special Forces are Officers, be they Non-Commissioned, Warrant or Commissioned. That means that they are responsible and make things happen. They're capable of operating in hostile, vague, ambigious enviroments without all of the information that they would like to have, and that may make others freeze. They understand the value of integrity, have demonstrated it, and how it is essential....(followin per Zig Ziglar) The CEOs who make it to the top and stay there all have the same #1 asset....their integrity.

Since you like making sales, it reasons you listen to sales training tapes, by Zig Ziglar, Tom Hopkins, Brian Tracy, Dale Carnegie and the like. The Dale Carnegie Skills for Success program is excellent...as is anything by Zig Ziglar. I've learned a good bit about selling myself from Zig. You would be surprised how the majority of salespeople do not work to improve their sales, people, or communication skills. Zig's Sales Mastery Academy IMO is the best buy there is for learning foundational sales principles. Mentioning Zig's name has gotten me job offers even though I'm AD.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sales-Mast.../dp/144177503X

Constantly seeking improvement is something that I see constantly from the QPs. One of the 18F's on the site is constantly reading, learning, and sharing the things that he has learned and that improves him and others who come in contact with him. Learning about human intelligence, tells, body language, establishes the habit of constant self-improvement, which will translate to great performance in the outside world. Blowing things up doesn't translate to working in an office, but the habit of being the best that you can be does.

I would make a written list of the traits, skills and abilities that you have and put it into language that a civilian would be able to understand and in a way that they would want you.

John F. Kennedy said, if someone doesn't have what it takes to succeed in the military, they don't have what it takes to succeed in the real world either.

HTH

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 16:35   #10
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

You have a leg up on the civilian completion by mere virtue of the fact you will show up at the right time, in the right clothes and ready to work. I like to tell people this is what I learned in my 26 years, 4 months and 5 days in some form of the army, NG, USAR or RA. 1) Make a decision 2) When you screw up, own the screw up 3) Make that screw up right and 4) How to work with people I did not particularly like for a greater organizational good. As an SF solider, you already know how to think out of the box and accomplish the mission come hell and high water. Sell yourself, but remember that most civilians these days are divorced from the military. They haven't a clue what the military is about. Tailor your pitch to the audience. It is my heartfelt wish that you have continued success in all your future endevors and thank you for your service.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 17:23   #11
salvo
SF Candidate

Yep, graduated the Q and had a great time on a detachment!

I cannot thank you gents enough for your specific, wise advice. You're right, I can sell anything but I just feel stupid selling myself. Appreciate it. As usual, I continue to learn from the people in and around the Regiment.
salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 19:57   #12
Tree Potato
Guerrilla

Had similar questions while drafting my resume, and was told:
- If you feel you're bragging, back off the adjectives and just explain what you did (it's not bragging if you actually did it);
- The history of "what you did" examples will show a pattern; it's the pattern of performance hiring authorities are looking for, not the superawesome bragidocious adjectives which they see right through anyway;
- The resume is your advertisement to get called for an interview, no more no less, so ensure it explains your accomplishments in language civilians understand, and in a way they can easily predict desired future performance based on what you've done.

A good reference for words and writing style to convey the above while not being boastful is "Military Resumes and Cover Letters" by Carl Savino, Maj, USAR (ret) and Ronald Krannich, Ph.D.

The balance of whether a resume or person comes across as confident or arrogant seems to hinge on whether someone is or is not willing to learn more. Arrogant braggarts know they're the smartest ones in the room and communicate they don't think they need to learn from others. If your resume expresses a lot of great things you may worry it comes across as boastful, but if it also shows a willingness to keep learning and improving it will come across as skilled and confident, not arrogant.

Best of luck.
Tree Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:15   #13
Kasik
Quiet Professional

SOCOM Care Coalition

Salvo -

Great question!

You might contact Scott Heintz at the Care Coalition in Tampa - david.heintz.ctr@socom.mil

The CC has a specific asset that can help you create a resume for both private sector and federal job opportunities.

These are actually two different resumes due to the unique requirements of private sector vrs federal "buzz words" and phrases.

Their asset will also translate your military training and background into civilian-speak.

Scott can send you in the right direction - if you are enrolled in the Care Coalition it is even simpler to access this service.

I trust this helps.
Old 04-30-2014, 15:24   #14
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

First, you need to decide what kind of work it is that you want to do.
Next, you find organizations in that particular field and what they require for employment.
From there, you can assess your abilities and your level of commitment that you are willing to sell and for how much.

Then, work on your résumé, fleshing out the qualities that make you the remedy for their pains.

Think "Mission Planning"; start with your successful completion of gainful employment and work backwards to your resume'.

Understand that in this economic environment, your best way in is by someone in place being the door opener.
Old 04-30-2014, 19:29   #15
Box
Quiet Professional

...shit, I'm leaving soon; I want something with a paycheck that dont require me to be a cube-rat.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote