Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 05-22-2016, 15:11   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

How Very Communist of the Portland public schools board!

This is exactly what communist leaders do, ban all opposition, all dissent, control the media.

Well done comrades! Stalin, Mao, Che, Castro and even Hitler would be proud of your actions!

Portland public schools ban textbooks that cast doubt on climate change

Published May 22, 2016
· FoxNews.com

The Portland Public Schools board voted last week to ban any materials that cast doubt on climate change, the Portland Tribune reported.

According to the resolution passed May 17, the school district must remove any textbooks and other materials that suggest climate change is not occurring or that says human beings are not responsible for it.

“A lot of the text materials are kind of thick with the language of doubt, and obviously the science says otherwise,” said Bill Bigelow, a former Portland public school teacher who worked to present the resolution. Bigelow says textbook publishers are yielding to pressure from fossil fuels companies. “We don’t want kids in Portland learning material courtesy of the fossil fuel industry.”

One commenter to the Portland Tribune story responded to the news, saying, “I have never seen a case for homeschooling more clearly put forward. This is further proof that public schools are not interested in education, only political indoctrination.”

A petition, meanwhile, circulated by the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine (OISM) currently lists nearly 32,000 signers, including 9,000 Ph.D.s, who say, “there is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.”

Still, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says addressing the issue of global warming will help to improve public health, according to U.S. News & World Report.

"I don't want people to think that EPA is just about big rules, or that climate change is just about polar bears," EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy said. "It really is about direct public health issues like asthma and kids, like cardiovascular and pulmonary disease associated with air pollution."

cont:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/22...l?intcmp=hpbt3
Old 05-22-2016, 17:46   #2
cbtengr
Area Commander

These people have become the folks that they used to rail against, book burners. Is there something in the water out on the West coast that causes such narrow mindedness? I am sure chairman O is very pleased with their actions.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:59   #3
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

The Portland article is full of humor.... LINK

Quote:
In board testimony, Bigelow said PPS’ science textbooks are littered with words like might, may and could when talking about climate change.
Because the surest sign of the presence of scientific integrity is the absolute removal of doubt or skepticism.

Oh, but look, many of the board members MAY have financials interests as well....and participate in multiple efforts in environmental activism.

Quote:
Bigelow is also the co-author of a textbook on environmental education, A People’s Curriculum for the Earth. Asked if this resolution will cause the district to buy new textbooks, such as his book, Bigelow said Rethinking Schools is a nonprofit, not a money-maker.
Quote:
School board member Mike Rosen introduced the resolution. He also leads NW Ecoliteracy Collaborative, a project focused on environmental curriculum standards. However, he says that work has been on hold.

“I have become concerned about its ability to make progress and not have a conflict with being a school board member,” Rosen said, noting that he is now instead working part-time for the Audubon Society of Portland. “I don’t want there to be a conflict between my school board work and this nonprofit.”

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:57   #4
Mills
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
This is exactly what communist leaders do, ban all opposition, all dissent, control the media.

Well done comrades! Stalin, Mao, Che, Castro and even Hitler would be proud of your actions!

Portland public schools ban textbooks that cast doubt on climate change

Published May 22, 2016
· FoxNews.com

The Portland Public Schools board voted last week to ban any materials that cast doubt on climate change, the Portland Tribune reported.

According to the resolution passed May 17, the school district must remove any textbooks and other materials that suggest climate change is not occurring or that says human beings are not responsible for it.

“A lot of the text materials are kind of thick with the language of doubt, and obviously the science says otherwise,” said Bill Bigelow, a former Portland public school teacher who worked to present the resolution. Bigelow says textbook publishers are yielding to pressure from fossil fuels companies. “We don’t want kids in Portland learning material courtesy of the fossil fuel industry.”

One commenter to the Portland Tribune story responded to the news, saying, “I have never seen a case for homeschooling more clearly put forward. This is further proof that public schools are not interested in education, only political indoctrination.”

A petition, meanwhile, circulated by the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine (OISM) currently lists nearly 32,000 signers, including 9,000 Ph.D.s, who say, “there is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.”

Still, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says addressing the issue of global warming will help to improve public health, according to U.S. News & World Report.

"I don't want people to think that EPA is just about big rules, or that climate change is just about polar bears," EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy said. "It really is about direct public health issues like asthma and kids, like cardiovascular and pulmonary disease associated with air pollution."

cont:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/22...l?intcmp=hpbt3
There is a federal judge that is attempting to do the same thing. They want to promote actually attacking private entities and businesses that refuse to "acknowledge".

Personally, no one wants to live around trash like in the middle east. Be conscious, take care of the outdoors, dont litter, pick up trash when you find it, use only the energy you need............these are the most basic principles that we can all agree on in terms of this earth and its condition........but the EPA and its massive land grab over the last 7 years has run amok.

This climate change movement has basically become a straw man argument.

As stated above, I agree with taking care of what we have, but lets face it..............until Jordan stops burning plastic by the metric ton.............our actions are meaningless.

I guess the establishment of a "global society" must be the only way..........

Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:58   #5
Box
Quiet Professional

I have to say, this actually sounds like good news to me.

I applaud when a city/state like Portland Oregon decides to dictate what their citizens are allowed to say.
Fuck free speech... if you want free speech, elect better representatives. I would even enjoy seeing Portland make the national news for jailing someone for wearing a t-shirt that espouses ANY right wing cause, maybe even putting someone in prison for wearing a red Donald Trump campaign ball-hat.
...hell, I want to see Oregon demand that catholic churches hold wedding ceremonies for transgendered atheists.

The more oppressive the better.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 05-23-2016 at 08:12.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:10   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills View Post
There is a federal judge that is attempting to do the same thing. They want to promote actually attacking private entities and businesses that refuse to "acknowledge".

Friday Nite Book Burning's to start in January..
Get you Brown Shirt while the supplies last...
Do you feel the bern??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BookBuring.jpg (59.1 KB, 25 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:16   #7
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
I have to say, this actually sounds like good news to me.

I applaud when a city/state like Portland Oregon decides to dictate what their citizens are allowed to say.
Fuck free speech... if you want free speech, elect better representatives. I would even enjoy seeing Portland make the national news for jailing someone for wearing a t-shirt that espouses ANY right wing cause, maybe even putting someone in prison for wearing a red Donald Trump campaign ball-hat.
...hell, I want to see Oregon demand that catholic churches hold wedding ceremonies for transgendered atheists.

The more oppressive the better.
Mr. L-bach,

I normally enjoy your sarcasm and humor, however I do believe that your role in Jade Helm as OPFOR has taken hold, and you may need to repeat the Q course to regain your bearings

To the article/event: I need to get me one of those fancy Outer Party jobs at the memory hole. I bet it pays good, and I like generic gin and chocolate bars too...

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:31   #8
Box
Quiet Professional

...who told you about jade helm?

I am reporting you to the Oregonian thought police

Then we'll see how funny you think I am.
Mr Funny McFunnypants.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 15:14   #9
cbtengr
Area Commander

They needed a fence.

This is a perfect example of why having fences to protect our borders is important. Had Oregon installed a proper fence between themselves and California many years ago they could have stopped the overtaking of their state by displaced Californians , it's rumored that a lot of them made it as far North as Seattle.
Old 05-23-2016, 19:56   #10
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
This is a perfect example of why having fences to protect our borders is important. Had Oregon installed a proper fence between themselves and California many years ago they could have stopped the overtaking of their state by displaced Californians , it's rumored that a lot of them made it as far North as Seattle.
It isn't a rumor.
Old 05-23-2016, 22:06   #11
mark46th
Quiet Professional

JJ-BPK First we burn the books, THEn we break all the windows of businesses where the books are sold!!!
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 22:13   #12
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
They've been polluting Colorado for years as well.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:06   #13
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Like this? LINK

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:20   #14
ddoering
Quiet Professional

So no proof of harassment and yet he, she, it, they gets a payout.
WTF???
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:40   #15
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

I'm "coming out" as an A-10.
I want my own landing strip, my own hanger, A-10 specific fuel and I am going to sue the first person that calls me a "he" or a "plane" into oblivion. Oh, and I expect the state to pay for it all or they are racists.

brrrrrrp brrrrp motherfuckers.
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote