Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 01-11-2015, 12:19   #1
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Pelosi in Bed With GOP on gas tax

So now the GOP is in bed with Pelosi to increase the gas tax by $.06 to $.12 a gal. The justification being that gas prices are low now and the last increase was back in '93. My first question is show us some accountability as to how much the government collects per year 0n gas taxes and how is it spent. And we know the answer to that question, it's all pissed away on all the congressmen's cronies for their bridge to nowhere. I guess Pelosi and the GOP think we're to fuckin' stupid to think that gas prices won't increase in about another 6 months and it won't be $4 a gal more like $5.

They sold the public on gas taxes for a good cause....save the planet and environment by punishing people who drive too much and encourage less driving with more fuel efficient cars. Well the people acted by building more efficient cars and now congress is shocked at seeing their gas tax collection decrease. Now they want to put a GPS on every car and tax by the miles you drive. See it never was about saving the environment...its always been about the money.

They put a sin tax on tobacco and alcohol. And everyone's on board with that. After all, we need to save those dumb sonofabitches from killing themselves. Then when tobacco tax revenue drops they keep increasing tobacco taxes to get their revenue back up. And for all those people that loved the sin tax, wait until they start taxing your ice cream, big macs and any other food item big brother thinks is killing you. See they couch their argument around protecting you from being to fucking stupid. Just follow the money.

Mark my words, with this new Obamacare, they'll find ways to charge you an extra premium on your healthcare insurance because you're 10 lbs over the weight big brother thinks you should weigh. Then they'll make everyone that rides a motorcycle wear a helmet or pay an extra fee for not wearing one. This will be instituted for any high risk game or activity you choose to participate in. See you are fee to smoke, drink, eat or jump out of any aircraft you like as long as you can afford it.

Last edited by Dean Jarvis; 01-11-2015 at 12:23.
Dean Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 13:12   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I don't mind a gas tax as long as the money goes to something crazy like fixing the highways, bridges, canals etc.

I'd also like to see a .99 cent tax on pot/dope, yeah a .99 cents on the dollar tax.

Sorry Colorado, I will not be spending any money in your state anytime soon.
Old 01-11-2015, 13:21   #3
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

We need to call our elected servants and remind them they are leased and the lease can revoked at certain intervals. We are taxed enough already. The GOP needs to remember the mandate under which they were elected.
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 13:45   #4
Oldrotorhead
Guerrilla Chief

I would be OK with an increase in the gas tax, IF income tax were reduced by maybe half. Use taxes are much fairer than progressive taxes on productivity. Use taxes are paid by the people that use the service, and working under the table can't get you around this tax. Even people on the Federal Plantation pay gas and sales taxes. The problem with the gas tax is that it is used for moronic stuff like bicycle paths. If you want money for bicycle paths tax bicycle tires and streachy, bright and tight clothes.
Old 01-11-2015, 19:36   #5
Badger52
Area Commander

The cash cow is on a diet right now so they're looking about for ways to increase their take from the teat.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:55   #6
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I don't mind a gas tax as long as the money goes to something crazy like fixing the highways, bridges, canals etc.
I won't support any new gas taxes because they already have federal gas taxes that they can't seem to spend on roads....

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:57   #7
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
The cash cow is on a diet right now so they're looking about for ways to increase their take from the teat.
The federal gas tax is fixed at $.184/ gallon. It is not a percentage so that revenue is not down.....they are just looking to increase for the hell of it....

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:49   #8
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
The federal gas tax is fixed at $.184/ gallon. It is not a percentage so that revenue is not down.....they are just looking to increase for the hell of it....
Correct, but one of the "rationales" floated is that more fuel-efficient vehicles have caused fewer gallons to be pumped/demanded. I could be mistaken; didn't think this is a tax that is assessed directly post-production, i.e., pre-delivery to a retailer (and thence delivery to a consumer).

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote