Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 02-28-2013, 11:47   #61
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

"We are all working to find reasonable compromises that balance Second Amendment rights"

Someone should inform Gov. Hickenlooper, (and the federal government), that the Second Amendment, like the First Amendment is not negotiable.
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 17:08   #62
Congo336
Quiet Professional

The gov has been told, and as so many like him does, he refuses to hear. There is a saying about not casting your pearls before swine...

There is a lack of commonality among Americans that may have never been this bad before, although I remember some bad times in the 1960s and we know there were huge differences of ideological opinions in the 1860s.

The Left and the Right do not want to compromise. The Right (as I believe) wants the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights to remain the foundation of our country's law - as is. The Left would like to modify the foundation as they need to in order to bring on a different type of American Dream.

At this point I am convinced that there will be no joining together again without it first getting much worse. Like two brothers about to fight over a too-hard tackle during a weekend football game, the odds are high that lips will be split before the two can make up.

The best option (still) is to campaign hard and use the ballot box to change our nation's course and get on track. History shows us there is an end point where time runs out. We must hurry if it's not already too late. IMHO.
Sons of the American Revolution: We descendants of the heroes of the American Revolution who, by their sacrifices, established the United States of America, reaffirm our faith in the principles of liberty and our Constitutional Republic, and solemnly pledge ourselves to defend them against every foe.
Congo336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 21:10   #63
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

I was skipping around to different radio programs while coming home from class this evening and the speakers announced that Pro-Constitution folks should mirror the gathering in NY to protest that state's insane anti-gun plan. It was suggested that every pro-gun Coloradoan should descend upon the statehouse on Monday, March 4th, which is when the four bills are going to be presented before the state senate, and make their presence felt to these irrational hoplophobic pillow-biters.

There was also the recommendation that anyone who can get their vehicle down there, slow down to a crawl as they pass the state house and hold down the horn. This behavior would only echo Gov. Chicken-Pooper and the mayor of Denver's call for voters to get out there and honk their horns all over town on election day.

I plan on taking a break in between classes and strolling on over there to see if my taking up space and adding my voice for a couple of hours will help.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:45   #64
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magpul-Boulder-Airlift.jpg (165.1 KB, 82 views)

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:48   #65
MR2
Quiet Professional

God bless MagPul and pass the ammo!

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:59   #66
sf11b_p
Guerrilla

Quote:
Requiring gun purchasers to pay a reasonable fee for their background checks. (HB 1228)
This point may have been made already, but I haven't yet read the entire thread.

It strikes me that it's expected the citizen pay a fee to exercise a basic human and constitutional right. That this be said to be reasonable, when at the same time recent arguments have been made against voters ID cards being hardship, racist and too much for some citizens to pay for or travel to obtain.

While I'm ranting, ridiculous as well to me is the arguments that high capacity magazines, or even ammunition isn't protected under the Second Amendment as they aren't specifically itemized or mentioned. It's like arguing you can have a spear, but with a blunt not a sharp tip and certainly not a metal tip, a bow but not an arrow and the string must be locked away separately, a sling shot but not a bag of rocks.

That civilian ownership of military class and high capacity firearms with high rates of fire has no precedent. Except civilian arms, muskets rifles and pistols of the time matched and outclassed what the government provided the military. The later Spencer repeating rifles and shotguns, Winchester repeating rifles, revolvers, British Enfields, Garands, 1911s. All of which are military class and high capacity rapid fire weapons of their time, all found satisfactory for civilian use within their period of issue.

If law enforcement has need of such weapons and magazines to respond to threats on the street how is it that civilians don't have a need.

It seems to me history has many examples, that only those who allowed themselves to be without arms equal to the moment became subservient to an oppressive leader or government. I believe that is the primary thing the forefathers had in mind when writing the Second Amendment.

If the argument is the military and law enforcement has grown so much, resistance is futile. Well, I look at the videos of the LA riots and remember the theory of the LGOPs and think not.

Last edited by sf11b_p; 03-01-2013 at 12:03.
sf11b_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:42   #67
Sdiver
Area Commander

May just have to drive up there in a couple of weeks.

Anyone else in the area, up for a link up?

Quote:
BOULDER, Colo. - Gun rights advocates are planning a huge giveaway before a new law bans high capacity magazines in Colorado.

Boulder Police say the giveaway is legal, even if it's not popular with everyone.

Savant Suykerbuyk is the event organizer. If his event goes as planned, he'll be giving away hundreds of high capacity gun magazines.

"That's one of the great things about this nation, is that -- if you really care about something, you can make a stand for it. No matter what it is," said Suykerbuyk.

Suykerbuyk is stepping straight into the cross-hairs of the gun rights debate. He's organizing a massive gun magazine giveaway in the parking lot of a Boulder gun store in two weeks on Sat., March 16.

"Donation, fundraiser, giant give-away," said Suykerbuyk. "It's all of the above."

He's already received donations from as far away as Pennsylvania.

"Is it legal? asked 7NEWS. "It is completely legal. We're not distributing ammunition. We're not distributing firearms. The only thing that we're distributing is the one little tiny inanimate object itself -- the magazine," said Suykerbuyk.

The give-away is legal because the magazines are not for sale. But, the event certainly has its detractors. In particular, the sponsor of the bill that would ban high capacity magazines.

"Why in the world does someone need to have a high capacity magazine?" said state Rep. Rhonda Fields, the sponsor of the bill that aims to ban high capacity magazines. "When we know what that is going to do is someone is going to be able to kill a high amount of people in a short amount of time."

"I don't see anybody explaining why they're picking a certain number," said Suykerbuyk. "Why 15 makes us safer, or 10, or New York's seven makes us safer, or Denver's current 20?"

"I absolutely do understand the other side," said Suykerbuyk. "And there are people that have opposing opinions, and I totally respect those opinions. I'm just as upset over the violence that's happening, but I feel like maybe they're taking it out in the wrong place. You're legislating the law-abiding, you're not legislating criminals."

Organizers will be asking participants to make a small donation to Rocky Mountain Gun Owners.

Police say brandishing weapons at the event will not be tolerated, but the magazine give-away is legal under Colorado law.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...ned-in-boulder
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:15   #68
MR2
Quiet Professional

Why would anybody need a low IQ representative?

Moving into the parking lot. Assuming squatter status.

Actually, I support the RMGO over the NRA. It is a bit more "conservative" in its defense of The Second.

Edit: Operation Mountain Standard - Magazine Giveaway

Last edited by MR2; 03-02-2013 at 14:05.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:55   #69
Oldrotorhead
Guerrilla Chief

Requiring gun purchasers to pay a reasonable fee for their background checks. (HB 1228)

Following the Gov''s logic a poll tax should also be reasonable. Ask him if that is his position.
Oldrotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:38   #70
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
May just have to drive up there in a couple of weeks.

Anyone else in the area, up for a link up?
Say! That's my birthday! What better present could I buy myself than an arm-full of soon to be outlawed, evil, mayhem and death-causing PMAGs?

I live just east of I-25 over in Frederick. Boulder is just a short jaunt away. I'm game.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05   #71
Sdiver
Area Commander

Sanity ... or the effects of the public making their voices heard?

Colorado gun bills: Measure to ban concealed-carry guns on college campuses dies before vote

Quote:
The sponsor of a bill banning concealed weapons on college campuses plans to kill his measure Friday, Democrats have confirmed.

Four Democratic sources close to the matter said the bill's sponsor, Rollie Heath, D-Boulder, plans to kill the bill and it won't be brought up for debate on the Senate floor.

House Bill 1226 already cleared the House and a Senate committee earlier this week amid controversial comments made by a House Democrat and one in the Senate about rape on college campuses.

Republicans have hammered Democrats over the rape remarks, jeopardizing a bill that already was in trouble. Two Democratic senators had openly said they were against it, Republicans needed only one more Democratic to kill the measure.

The Colorado legislature in 2003 passed the Concealed Carry Act, which states a person with a permit may carry a concealed weapon "in all areas of the state," except for a narrow list of exceptions, such as federal properties, K-12 schools, the state Capitol.

But the law didn't include colleges, and three University of Colorado students sued in 2008 in a case that went all the way to the state Supreme Court, which unanimously ruled the CU Board of Regents overstepped its authority by banning permitted concealed weapons on campuses.

House Bill 1226 would specifically state that concealed weapons are banned in any building or structure used by a public institution of higher education. Further, the bill would ban conceal-carry in any stadium or arena used by public colleges or at outdoor events on campuses.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...-before-senate
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:26   #72
MR2
Quiet Professional

FIRST VICTORY: Concealed Carry Ban Dies Due To Conservatives Who Fought Back

This is just the first battle in a larger war to stop the Democrats gun grab.

The next battle is stopping HB1224, the ban on standard capacity magazines over 15 rounds, that would kill hundreds, if not thousands, of Colorado jobs. Magpul Industries, and a number of companies reliant on Magpul’s business, will leave the state if the bill passes.

Not only that, but the Outdoor Channel has threatened to leave the state if it passes too.

Save Colorado jobs, stop HB1224. Spread the word.

Old 03-08-2013, 13:49   #73
Razor
Quiet Professional

I'm not convinced that the no-CC on campus bill and the really insane gun-maker/gun-store liability bill aren't "throw away" COAs drafted so they could be sacrificed in an effort for the anti-gun crowd to appear to be making reasonable concessions.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 16:20   #74
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I'm not convinced that the no-CC on campus bill and the really insane gun-maker/gun-store liability bill aren't "throw away" COAs drafted so they could be sacrificed in an effort for the anti-gun crowd to appear to be making reasonable concessions.
PATHETIC PLOY: Morse’s Liability Bill A Cheap “Bargaining Chip” On Gun Control

Eric Sondermann, a Denver political consultant, said one of the approaches Morse might be taking is using the legislation as a bargaining chip.

“He’s in a leadership role and can really look to push the envelope and set the standard for gun legislation pretty far out there,” Sondermann said. “That way when a package of gun bills is passed, it may not include his liability bill, thus allowing his opponents to claim a small victory, but the majority of Democratic gun bills could be passed. It’s kind of like taking one for the team.”

Old 03-08-2013, 16:21   #75
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
PATHETIC PLOY: Morse’s Liability Bill A Cheap “Bargaining Chip” On Gun Control

Eric Sondermann, a Denver political consultant, said one of the approaches Morse might be taking is using the legislation as a bargaining chip.

“He’s in a leadership role and can really look to push the envelope and set the standard for gun legislation pretty far out there,” Sondermann said. “That way when a package of gun bills is passed, it may not include his liability bill, thus allowing his opponents to claim a small victory, but the majority of Democratic gun bills could be passed. It’s kind of like taking one for the team.”
Also known as the logical fallacy "Red Herring"
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote