Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

Old 12-25-2009, 09:04   #1
Marina
Guerrilla

Detachment 88 conquers JI

A Christmas present for FID proponents.

Indonesia's crack CT unit does it again. Indo, the world's third largest democracy after the US and India, is home to an 86% Sunni Muslim-majority population. They do not tolerate extremists. We could use a few more partners like this.

At 0500 on 24 December, members of Indonesia police counter-terrorist unit, Special Detachment 88, arrested Baridin, the father-in-law of the late Jemmah Islamiyah bomber Noordin Top. Top had married Baridin's daughter in Cilacap, Central Java, during 2006, and Baridin had helped hide his fugitive son-in-law for extended periods of time through the middle of this year. In June, Baridin fled Cilacap as the police learned of his connection to Top; in hindsight, this was one month before Top conducted a pair of hotel bombings in Jakarta.

From Cilacap, Baridin apparently took shelter in Garut district, West Java province, where he acted as a traveling sugar salesman. When he was captured he had a pair of identity cards under aliases. Although Baridin was not known as an expert in explosives or recruiting, his arrest does demonstrate that the Indonesian authorities remain on heightened alert during the year-end holiday season. Earlier this week, in fact, the newly-promoted head of Special Detachment 88, General Tito Karnavian, stated that there was evidence that the remnants of Jemaah Islamiyah are still attempting to recruit new members despite some of their most aggressive leaders getting killed over the past quarter.

Most will remember . . .

Noordin Top, who was killed in a bloody raid by police in September in Central Java, is believed to have masterminded the July suicide bombings of Jakarta's JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels. Seven people were killed.

The 41-year old Malaysian was also blamed for a 2003 attack on the Marriott that killed 12 people, as well as the 2004 bombing of the Australian embassy in Jakarta and 2005 attacks on tourist restaurants on Bali.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...026847/1/.html

http://counterterrorismblog.org/2009..._indonesia.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detachment_88

Some issues with rule of law, but overall a real success story. AT/CT assistance from Australia and US.

"There is a suspicion that police have been simply killing the suspects to dispense with the headaches of long and perhaps theatrical trials. But Detachment 88's reluctance to engage the militants at close quarters probably stems from the fact that it has insufficient teargas and stun grenades and, more importantly, the advanced training to use them effectively. "

Link to a good analysis of D-88's use of force and healthy debate regarding civilian v. military tactics in the country's strategy to combat terrorism.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southea.../KJ31Ae01.html
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:48   #2
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

I guess Spec Det 88 pissed of JI

U.S. Embassy Notice to Americans

December 31, 2009

U.S. Embassy Jakarta
U.S. Consulate General Surabaya
U.S. Consulate Medan

Warden Message: Bali Warning

December 31, 2009

The Bali Tourism Board widely distributed this message: “The Governor of Bali Mr. Mangku Pastika wishes to share a message with all of us: ‘There is an indication of an attack to Bali tonight,’ but please don’t panic, but put your security system to full alert.” This message is shared verbatim for your information. The safety and security recommendations in our Consular Information Sheet, quoted below, remain valid.

“Indonesian police and security forces take active measures against both ongoing threats posed by terrorist cells, including Jemaah Islamiyah (JI), a U.S. government-designated terrorist organization that carried out several bombings at various times from 2002 to 2009 and outbreaks of violence elsewhere. While Indonesia’s counterterrorism efforts have been ongoing and partly successful, violent elements have demonstrated a willingness and ability to carry out deadly attacks with little or no warning. Most recently, in November 2009, unknown assailants shot at foreigners in Banda Aceh, North Sumatra, an area that was devastated by the 2004 tsunami and the scene of a long-running separatist conflict that ended in 2005. The gunfire wounded a European development worker. A house occupied by U.S. citizen teachers was targeted and hit by gunfire, but there were no U.S. citizen casualties. In July 2009, attacks by armed assailants in Papua resulted in several deaths, including security personnel and one Australian national. Also in July, suspected JI elements bombed two Western hotels in Jakarta, killing nine Indonesians and foreigners and injuring over 50, including six U.S. citizens. U.S. citizens in Indonesia must be physically and mentally prepared to cope with future attacks even as they go about their normal daily routines.

Extremists may target both official and private interests, including hotels, clubs and shopping centers. While it may be difficult to modify one’s behavior to counter risks in a country where places in which U.S. citizens and other Westerners must congregate to live and work are well known and few in number, it is also extremely necessary. In their work and daily living activities, and while traveling, U.S. citizens should be vigilant and prudent at all times. We urge U.S. citizens to monitor local news reports, vary their routes and times, and maintain a low profile. U.S. citizens must consider the security and safety preparedness of hotels, residences, restaurants, and entertainment or recreation venues that they frequent.

Americans living and traveling in Indonesia are urged to register and update their contact information with the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta, U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya, U.S. Consulate Medan or U.S. Consular Agency in Bali. Registration facilitates the U.S. Mission’s contact with Americans in emergency situations, and may be done on line and in advance of travel. Information on registering can be found at the U.S. Department of State’s Consular Affairs website at http://travelregistration.state.gov and at the Embassy’s website at http://jakarta.usembassy.gov. All Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, Worldwide Cautions, and recent warden messages are posted on the Embassy website.

For the latest security information, Americans living and traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov , where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings, and health-information resources can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S. and Canada, or, for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

The Embassy is located at Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan No. 4-5, Jakarta; the 24-hour telephone number is 62-21-3435-9000. The telephone number of the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya is 62-31-295-6400; the number for the U.S. Consulate in Medan is 62-61-451-9000; the number for the U.S. Consular Agency in Bali is 62-361-233-605.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:14   #3
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

When I worked with ATA we ran the training for Unit 88. Squared away bunch of operators. Very dedicated to killing and capturing the enemy.
One of the guys going thru our training. Actually tackled a Terrorist wearing a Suicide vest shortly after graduation. Of course we didn't actually train them to tackle suicide Bombers. But I thought it was Awesome anyway.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:57   #4
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
When I worked with ATA we ran the training for Unit 88. Squared away bunch of operators. Very dedicated to killing and capturing the enemy.
One of the guys going thru our training. Actually tackled a Terrorist wearing a Suicide vest shortly after graduation. Of course we didn't actually train them to tackle suicide Bombers. But I thought it was Awesome anyway.
This is the best website on the internet, bar none.

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:18   #5
dadof18x'er
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sten View Post
This is the best website on the internet, bar none.
I'm hopelessly addicted.........if I didn't have this site and my 2 morning pots off coffee I couldn't face the day
dadof18x'er is offline   Reply With Quote