Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 12-01-2009, 06:18   #76
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by docstumpy View Post
Mind me asking what youre suggestion would be then...
Under the stress of being shot at, blown up, etc... a soldier will grab whatever they get their hands on, not what you hope they will grab for and use. having them make a conscious decision when they should be running on autopilot is not the right decision, IMHO.

Either train your guys to the same proficiency level with the SOFT-T or remove it from your vest.

As for the CAT's, I know of several medics, including myself, who have had several of them break coming right out of the plastic.... OMMV but I stay away from them as much as possible...

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 12-01-2009 at 06:21.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:33   #77
docstumpy
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
Under stress they will grab whatever they get their hands on, not what you hope they will grab for and use.

Either train your guys to the same proficiency level with the SOFT-T or remove it from your vest.

As for the CAT's, I know of several medics, including myself, who have had several of them break coming right out of the plastic.... OMMV but I stay away from them as much as possible...
Thats the exact reasoning I had both on my vest. What a soldier can do during training is one thing, but what he can do while under fire is another, unless the training is up to par. That SOFTT is meant mainly for me and my two qualified CLS tankers.

Do you mainly stick to the SOFTT's or are there other types you use?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:27   #78
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You know, if I were a recently trained conventional Army medic, I would probably rely on the airway management and TQ advice of a Chief of Trauma, an Anesthesiologist, and an 18D rather than arguing with them, but that is just me.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 15:47   #79
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by docstumpy View Post
...Do you mainly stick to the SOFTT's or are there other types you use?
The topic isnt what I use, it is about you being comfortable with your takers spending precious time, which you may not have, differentiating one TQ from the other in the dark, then putting it into use...

If your guys were equally competent with the CAT and SOFT-T I would have less an issue but according to your previous posting that is not the case.

As for what I use/carry, my guys and I carry SOFT-T's (2 center-line on their armor) and I carry a few extras in all of my aid and CASEVAC bags... There are also some CAT's thrown in for those guys who have girl arms that I may run across. My guys are trained on both and are expected to be proficient at using both TQ's just as they are applying pressure dressings, performing needle drills, and crics...after all, my life may be the one depending on it.

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 12-01-2009 at 15:52.
Old 01-03-2010, 13:35   #80
Buck
Quiet Professional

Great thread on personal medical kits, one question though

SwatSurgeon, and 18D's..

On one of my teams one time and old 18D was giving a sucking chest wound class, and how to make a field expediant flutter valve, to release preasure, when patient is experiencing a hemothorax. He showed to take a 10 or 12 gauge needle, then cut one finger of a latex glove, drop the needle through the opening of the glove finger you just cut off, so it is sticking out the end of the glove. Then take scissors and cut a V on the open end of the glove finger you cut off. This creates an expedient valve to relieve preasure, but doesn't allow air back into the chest. After reading through this thread, I didn't see anyone mention valves they use for decompression on the needles, just needle lengths to avoid heart sticks. I'm just an 18B, so sorry if I butchered any of the medical terms. My question is either to Swatsurgeon, and any 18D's, have you ever heard of this being used, did it work, or is this a total waste of time to ever consider it, if so, what would be better.

Buck
Old 01-03-2010, 15:26   #81
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
...have you ever heard of this being used, did it work, or is this a total waste of time to ever consider it, if so, what would be better...
I have seen street paramedics use this technique but have never used it myself. The trouble with leaving the catheter in place is the lumen will become kinked or occluded by a clot.

Given this we just use a new needle/catheter each time the patient needs decompressing.

HTH,

Crip

Old 01-03-2010, 15:55   #82
Buck
Quiet Professional

Lumen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
I have seen street paramedics use this technique but have never used it myself. The trouble with leaving the catheter in place is the lumen will become kinked or occluded by a clot.

Given this we just use a new needle/catheter each time the patient needs decompressing.

HTH,

Crip
Appreciate the clarification Surgicalcric, one question, which I googled, but it says a Lumen refers to amount of light, which I am sure is not the case here. What is a Lumen, in reference to decompression?

Buck
Old 01-03-2010, 16:13   #83
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
... What is a Lumen, in reference to decompression? Buck
The lumen is in reference to the catheter's inner diameter. If the catheter (made from teflon) gets kinked air cannot escape.

Crip

Old 01-03-2010, 16:48   #84
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

edit

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-16-2018 at 14:39.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 17:19   #85
HowardCohodas

Any thoughts on ARS for Needle Decompression for my personal kit? I have taken the certified first medical responder course.
Old 01-03-2010, 17:34   #86
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
Any thoughts on ARS for Needle Decompression for my personal kit? I have taken the certified first medical responder course.
It is nothing more than a 14ga x 3.25" IV catheter packaged in a plastic tube to prevent it from becoming bent in your kit.

Nothing special about it...

Old 01-03-2010, 20:42   #87
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

The only needle I would stake my/your life on if I had a known delay to have access to a chest tube is made by Cook catheter company. I think I posted a link and picture some time ago.... they are wire wrapped/supported needles in 10 or 12 G than can not kink,collapse and are large enough to have a lower incidence of occlusion from blood/fibrin/clot, etc.
The north american rescue needle is just as the very smart Surgicalcric has stated: it's a basic 3 1/2 inch needle in a fancy package with marketing behind it...no new mousetrap there at all.
Look up the Cook pneumothorax decompression or cric kit...their needle is expensive but the one I carry for a wounded officer...bad guy gets the north american rescue (or similiar) one .......

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:46   #88
peepee1
BANNED USER

My whole problem with trying to make a small kit is, it ends up turning into a full blown aid bag! I grab something, and then think "That would come in handy"... and again, and again... next thing you know Im thinking I may as well carry my aid bag!?
Its the same thing when I pack now! I think about every dang thing that could happen and I have some gadget for it!
peepee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 18:02   #89
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepee1 View Post
My whole problem with trying to make a small kit is, it ends up turning into a full blown aid bag! I grab something, and then think "That would come in handy"... and again, and again... next thing you know Im thinking I may as well carry my aid bag!?
Its the same thing when I pack now! I think about every dang thing that could happen and I have some gadget for it!
That's OK. You'll grow out of it. I carried an M5 bag, in the car, for about 5 years after I got out of the Army.
Now, I keep an Epi-Pen in all my vehicles along with gloves and figure I'll improvise if needed.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:15   #90
Odin21
Asset

Betadyne swabs and alcohol pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by D9 View Post
I'd like to see a few of the above lists fit into a small pouch. I have my doubts.

I carry this in my first line kit:

2 CAT Tourniquets (all TQs can fit in the outside part of the SOTECH pouches)
1 SOF Tourniquet
2 Quiklots
2 Hemcons
2 Z-pak Gauze
2 6" ACE
3 Asherman Chest Dressings
Small portion of 100mph tape (yes, I was on a team with Crip)
2 14 GA Catheters
8 Betadyne swabsticks
8 Alcohol prep pads
Trauma shears & rescue knife
Laminated 9-Line CASEVAC cards
1 Sharpie
1 Alcohol pen

For me this kit is for "Care Under Fire," which means I am not going to be doing any lengthy treatments out of this pouch.

Therefore:

1. The tourniquets for uncontrolled extremity bleeds.

2. The Quicklot and Hemcon for other bleeds

3. The catheters and Asherman's for developing tension pneumos

The rest of the stuff is oriented towards getting the patient started on the road to definitive care. The 9-Line card and markers are so I can get this process started and do not send my pt to the rear with bad info or none at all.
I am a National Guard medic with one tour and I know that I have a lot to learn still. Why do you carry 8 betadyne swabs in addition to 8 alcohol pads? I have heard of using alcohol pads to help clean the site before a NCD and I understand that you could do the same thing with betadyne. However, it looks like you only carry 2 14 ga needles for NCDs- do you swab the site multiple times? I was told in 68W school to try to use alcohol before sticking, but that it was not as important as them breathing- "That is what we have ABX later for." Is there another use for betadyne that I am missing? Is sterile technique that important that I need to carry more alcohol pads and betadyne swabs in my vest kit? Thank you so much for your time and guidance.
Odin21 is offline   Reply With Quote