Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Technical FAQ Forum > Technology News and Reviews

Old 09-19-2015, 07:55   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Any Opinions on RDIF shielding?

Just run into the advert for a pocket bag to shield c-cards, passports, and phones. I am a little leery of the claims?

I'm interested because when I visit my kids in London, they use c-cards or phone or Oster cards for transportation and such. They have chip-n-pin c-cards and can use their apple pay-phones as a chip-n-pin.

I just ordered an 6S (5S is 3yrs old) and thinking of getting a chip & pin c-card when they are available in the USA.

Any opinions: good or bad,, make models??

Quote:

Featured Product: Blackout Pocket Level II

Level 2 is an industrial grade pocket. In addition to the Level 1 protection of RFID-enabled credit cards and passports, you can drop any consumer cell phone in the pocket, seal it and be “off grid” within 3-5 seconds. No service, no GPS, no way to track you. Your phone, and thus you, will become invisible. Even if you turn off your cell phone, it is still trackable… unless it’s in a Level 2 Blackout Pocket. Since iPhones do not have removable batteries, this is your only way to keep your whereabouts and information safe from the NSA.

Interior closed dimensions are approximately 5" wide x 6.5" high. Includes four double-sided "hook" attachment points for mounting the pocket on "loop" surfaces. Zip top packaging may be recycled as a 1 quart TSA-friendly toiletries bag.

Price: $40

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/BP.shtml
PS: If you are out of contract with Verizon and have a 5S, you can trade-up and get a 300 gift card for ordering a 6S. YMMV, but it may be a good deal??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:15   #2
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

If you travel overseas I say get a rfid shielding wallet, I did off Amazon. Same cost as a normal wallet. In the USA, More banks are going to the RDIF chips in CC now. So this will be the new crime for Christmas.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 13:35   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
If you travel overseas I say get a rfid shielding wallet, I did off Amazon. Same cost as a normal wallet. In the USA, More banks are going to the RDIF chips in CC now. So this will be the new crime for Christmas.
Just get some "copper" screening and cut it out and line your wallet with it....
Old 09-19-2015, 14:01   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Just get some "copper" screening and cut it out and line your wallet with it....
Faraday Cage, It was on of my todo lists.
And for the c-cards rfid shielding wallet, as suggested.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:09   #5
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I saw on TV that foil will work too.

Nothing beats a Tin Foil WHATEVER!! HAT!! ALEX JONES Special!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:48   #6
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Faraday Cage, It was on of my todo lists.
And for the c-cards rfid shielding wallet, as suggested.
It makes your wallet get really thick. I have RFID reader equipment to capture data and have played with it a lot. Boy is it easy to steal your data as you walk past my backpack.....

Since all my CC company's have converted to RFID I took all my cards and put them in a RFID wallet. (as seen on TV ones. There are a bunch of knockoffs out there that do not work and are smaller and you can only fit 1-2 cards in it.). Mine really work. It cost 9.99 and holds about all things I need. I have another one for my extra cards for airlines, hotels, rental cars etc..... I keep it in my computer case so I do not have that big budging wallet. Guys have been buying those different pockets for each card and some do not work. I can scan some and some work. Tinfoil works but is unruly if you use your wallet and cards.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 15:56   #7
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I'm using a wallet the wife bought off Amazon. Works well and you can get extra card holders to go with it. As for the cellphone and tablets/small laptops I suggest LOKSAK's ShieldSak. TR and I got some at SHOT two years ago and they really work. Just remember to turn the device off before you stick it in the bag, otherwise it'll search for signal until the battery dies or it overheats and fries itself.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:06   #8
steel_eel
Auxiliary

I have the first gen cell phone sleeve. You can put whatever you want in it as long as it fits.
https://escapethewolf.3dcartstores.c...ches_c_13.html
steel_eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:42   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
I'm using a wallet the wife bought off Amazon. Works well and you can get extra card holders to go with it. As for the cellphone and tablets/small laptops I suggest LOKSAK's ShieldSak. TR and I got some at SHOT two years ago and they really work. Just remember to turn the device off before you stick it in the bag, otherwise it'll search for signal until the battery dies or it overheats and fries itself.
Kinda defeats the purpose of having a "mobile phone". That shielding works both ways, it blocks RF signals from coming in and out.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:45   #10
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Kinda defeats the purpose of having a "mobile phone". That shielding works both ways, it blocks RF signals from coming in and out.
Next you're going to tell me that my solar powered flashlight is a dumb idea....
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:04   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

EMV Chips

Good read. Check to see if you have an EMV chip and quit worrying.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...swers-1264.php
Old 09-21-2015, 10:54   #12
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Good read. Check to see if you have an EMV chip and quit worrying.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...swers-1264.php
Good info. Just received one of those the other day. Of course, it will be awhile before the stores get the new readers.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:58   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Good info. Just received one of those the other day. Of course, it will be awhile before the stores get the new readers.

Pat
Ugh, you live in the middle of "No Where" Arizona. I'm surprised you have credit cards.....
Old 09-21-2015, 11:05   #14
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Ugh, you live in the middle of "No Where" Arizona. I'm surprised you have credit cards.....
Well, it's only good at the Sears catalog store and the Butterfield Stage depot.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 17:14   #15
mojaveman
Area Commander

Very interesting, so for us cheapos which would work better, aluminum foil or tin foil?

Last edited by mojaveman; 11-04-2015 at 22:21.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote