Old 01-11-2015, 13:16   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Reloading benches

Let's hear the ideas and plans if anyone has them.....
Old 01-11-2015, 14:44   #2
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Well for off the shelf benches that have good storage and flexibility and good price try Harbor Freight.

http://t.harborfreight.com/60-in-4-d...nch-69054.html

Small footprint is setup for woodwork but you have drawers, and a bottom shelf that you can store extra items when you are not using them. Easy to clamp down things and when you lay down an mat on top it is a good cleaning and maint table for our guns.

If you are looking for layout for ergonomics I will defer to some of our brothers for that.

Hope this helps...
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:49   #3
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Edit: pictures added...sorry about loading sideways. I did not take them that way.

I built my own but didn't use any plans. I'll post a picture tonight.

It is a simple 2x4' table with some shelves on the back and a single shelf underneath on one side.

The top is made of a 3/4" 2'x4' MDF sheet topped with a oak plywood sheet of oak in the same dimension. I framed it in 2x4" with a crossing truss in the middle.

The MDF sheet was screwed to the 2x4 frame and then the oak sheet screwed through the MDF into the frame. The table top is stained and coated with about 10 layers of poly.

The corner legs are 4x4" posts with the center legs being 2x4.

I plan to add second table that will be 2'x6' and attach it to my current table making an L shape.

I only have a single stage Herter's press so the 2x4 is fine for now but I need the longer table for long gun maintenance....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150112_173715.jpg (60.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20150112_173459.jpg (51.8 KB, 33 views)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 01-12-2015 at 16:42.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:59   #4
koz
Quiet Professional

There's a lot of good/cool and really bad reloading setups on this Link

Important things -
It needs to be sturdy. As Streck-Fu said he built a crossing truss - It makes a big difference. The 4x4" legs give it weight and a lower shelf is nice for bullets, etc..

Lighting - Try to avoid florescent lighting. It can mess with electronic scales.

Height - I made mine a little higher than normal (I sit on a stool vs chair) but if you use a metal "strong mount" - it will elevate it too high if your bench is already high.

Storage - The more calibers you reload, the more equipment you'll get, the more different types of brass you'll have, etc... You need good storage. I use the storage above the bench for dies, tools, primer trays, manuals, etc.. I keep a couple powders on the bench. But majority of components have their own shelving away from the bench.

Consider a separate small bench for your scale. If you're cranking away, the scale gets moved a little which may drop some power or cause some drift.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:52   #5
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

Started out using a wooden folding fest table from Germany. Bolted my press and powder measure to it well in the barracks. Used to have a complete set up in my room, SGMs would have a heart attack today!

Couple of years ago built a new mancave with "L" bench along two walls. Here's a photo of the casting station on the far left, Lyman 450 bullet sizer/luber, Mec 600Jr single stage 12ga press, Dillion 550B, powder measure and RCBS RS2 single stage press. Took picture right after I bolted them down.

Before
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medi...nd_shelves.JPG
After
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medi...ding_room2.JPG

Here is a link to a 86 pg reloading bench thread over at Cast Boolits
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ing-bench-pics

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:37   #6
WRMETTLER
Asset

TS:

I bought an old heavy duty, government metal table, bolted a ¾” plywood on top and set up my presses on it. It’s in my garage, and I have cabinets above and plastic containers below holding my stuff. Cramped, but works.

As you get into reloading, you will acquire so much equipment, components and general crap that you’ll run out of space. Make sure you either go big initially or have room to expand. Storage is important.

I weigh/trickle charges for certain loads. I have an old Lyman M5 beam scale. I bought a heavy duty metal storage rack about 18”x 24” that stands to my right as I face the bench. I put my scale on that, so I can load, etc, without shaking the beam.

So, you might want to think maybe several work areas close together depending on what you want to do.

Then, you will probably have to consider a powder measure, scale (beam, electronic) and a chronograph to make sure your bullets don’t bounce off the pop-up metal targets.

Bill
WRMETTLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 15:08   #7
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

I bolted my Hornady Pro7 to a 2X10 and clamp it in a Black & Decker Work Mate!! When not in use the 2-by/w Press is stored in a closet and whe Work Mate is folded and stored on a hook in the Garage. It is a very stable work platform and it gives you a good amount of work area, but dosen't take up any space!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYHUWEHJtE
Old 01-12-2015, 16:49   #8
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Went the 2X4, plywood route. I am not nor have I ever claimed to be a good carpenter. My wife calls my finished carpentry projects, "Rustic". But, it is strong...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 17:50   #9
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Well for off the shelf benches that have good storage and flexibility and good price try Harbor Freight.

http://t.harborfreight.com/60-in-4-d...nch-69054.html

Small footprint is setup for woodwork but you have drawers, and a bottom shelf that you can store extra items when you are not using them. Easy to clamp down things and when you lay down an mat on top it is a good cleaning and maint table for our guns.

If you are looking for layout for ergonomics I will defer to some of our brothers for that.

Hope this helps...
+1 on B's. suggestion if you have the room. I have one (I'm not a re-loader) and it's very solid for the money and the drawers are felt lined. And apparently easy to assemble because my wife put it together before I even got out of bed. Bless her heart.

ETA: The wooden vise was very handy when I assembled my AR as it didn't scratch the parts clamped in it.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 01-12-2015 at 17:55. Reason: ETA
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 22:31   #10
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
+1 on B's. suggestion if you have the room. I have one (I'm not a re-loader) and it's very solid for the money and the drawers are felt lined. And apparently easy to assemble because my wife put it together before I even got out of bed. Bless her heart.

ETA: The wooden vise was very handy when I assembled my AR as it didn't scratch the parts clamped in it.

Pat
I added a cross beam in the back to give it a little more strength and glued it at all points as I bolted it together throughout to include the drawers. It is not too big but works for me really well.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 22:37   #11
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
I added a cross beam in the back to give it a little more strength and glued it at all points as I bolted it together throughout to include the drawers. It is not too big but works for me really well.
I'll give my wife your suggestions.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 00:42   #12
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I'm with you, I have the same bench (it was on sale for $120) glued all joints while bolting but didn't add the cross brace.

I use it for everything - I just got some reloading equipment from an estate, so I'm going through it all to see what's there... I am not sure about the powders, but lots of bullets, a scale, brass, calipers, press, some primers.... all in assorted boxes.... may need a hand sorting through it and may have some calibers that I wont use - I may send those pieces to people who will use them... I will definitely keep the .308 and 9mm for me.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:01   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
I'm with you, I have the same bench (it was on sale for $120) glued all joints while bolting but didn't add the cross brace.

I use it for everything - I just got some reloading equipment from an estate, so I'm going through it all to see what's there... I am not sure about the powders, but lots of bullets, a scale, brass, calipers, press, some primers.... all in assorted boxes.... may need a hand sorting through it and may have some calibers that I wont use - I may send those pieces to people who will use them... I will definitely keep the .308 and 9mm for me.
I was good with this post until.......

Folks remember,

9mm, is a .45 set to "stun".
Old 01-13-2015, 12:08   #14
SF Hunter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Folks remember,

9mm, is a .45 set to "stun".
LMAO!
Old 01-13-2015, 15:18   #15
Badger52
Area Commander

Just layout/organizational thoughts

Was good with shelving until I got tired of re-stacking die sets and the collection of data, old proof targets & reference material kept infringing. Was fortunate in already having another ancillary bench making the short end of an 'L'. Then my CFO spotted a monster sale on a decent roll-away set (mechanics type) and said, "you oughta get that so your area looks a bit more civilized down there."

Split them up & the bottom part takes care of protecting additional scopes & other longish boxes. The top went on the short bench and has been perfect for keeping die sets organized in the drawers; the 1/2 width top drawer is perfect for things I reach for all the time (e.g., caliper, borescope, stuff like that). Non- brand name versions of these setups are cheap & really clean up the area.

The other thing done (again, a find by the bride of several decades) was an island area with some storage underneath. On this island is a permanent setup with a Dillon loading a single caliber that is high production, again leaving the bench clear for single-stage work, bullet sorting, etc. Anything in a reloading area, imo, that minimizes distraction is a step toward preventing being "that" guy.

For those who haven't been using one long, the note about flourescents on your electronic scale is worth heeding. Also, if the whole room isn't controlled, humidity can manufacture weight swings while you watch - zero often.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote