Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 07-24-2006, 19:24   #16
x SF med
Quiet Professional

The scary thing is - NDD can quote Nancy Sinatra, what's next?

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 19:27   #17
Books
Quiet Professional

cork boots

They look kinda like cork boots (logging boots) to me. Are they Whites from Spokane? When I was younger, I had a girlfriend once whose family owned a horse packing outfit in the North Cascades. She swore by Whites and Filson. Some of the toughest folks I know are loggers and North woodsmen. Be proud of those boots, they're MAN boots (except in the case of my ex. Then they're chick boots).

- Jack Moroney
Old 07-25-2006, 07:30   #18
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books
They look kinda like cork boots (logging boots) to me. Are they Whites from Spokane? When I was younger, I had a girlfriend once whose family owned a horse packing outfit in the North Cascades. She swore by Whites and Filson. Some of the toughest folks I know are loggers and North woodsmen. Be proud of those boots, they're MAN boots (except in the case of my ex. Then they're chick boots).

They came from Drew's in Klamath Falls Oregon. Some of their stuff is made by Whites, But I believe these were made by Nicks.

Admittedly, they look like hell, but I will say that they are more comfortable than my Danner Desert Arcadias were on the fireline.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:22   #19
x SF med
Quiet Professional

For really rough work, even if they're a bit heavy, I will always count on my Chippewa Mountain Boots (sold as SF Mountain Boots under the Chippewa name by Justin). Mine are older than some of the members on this board, have a few miles on them (ground, water, air, and canopy) and have never even had to be resoled.

When I was working in Ft Worth, TX I did some offsite training, and there were some guys from Justin attending - it was an icy/snowy/cold day, so, on went the Chips - those 3 guys almost came unglued when they saw them, even the Justin/Chip employees can't get a discount on them. I don't know of anybody at the 10th who gave theirs up - people bitched about how heavy they were - but they got worn a lot in the winter or during rough terrain training.

I wonder if Justin still makes them? off to google that question.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
Old 07-26-2006, 09:29   #20
x SF med
Quiet Professional

RIP to Chips?

The Chippewa Special Forces Mountain Boot, is, sadly, no longer manufactured, at least for the civilian community - it is not on the Chippewa site nor the Justin site. If you have a pair, keep them in good shape - they are expensive to resole (that 4 layer, leather, board, leather, vibram - sewn, nailed and screwed sole will last a long time) but I've never heard of anybody going through the upper withanything short of a charge or a very sharp object (there is the axe story, and the demo Xtrain story - ahh, later).

Any current 10th guys want to chime in? Are they still issued?
I hope you guys don't still get Hanwegs and Ramers - they were tired when I was there. another story about the guy who used to wear his Hanwegs with civvies to look cool(?) didn't last long for some reason.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:06   #21
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd
They remind me of the logger/lineman boots I used to see up in Washington.

Mr. Harsey could probably tell you why they are made that way...
For strength in the uppers and sole, you need support when every step you take is on broken uneven ground and protection when you step, jump or fall thru onto something that's very sharp, like a broken limb sticking straight up that's still attached to the log.
The shoes shown by Air are based on "Loggers" with the undercut logger heel design.

Air, Those are very good looking "shoes" too. When logging we wore the "corks" and called them shoes. Anything else worn on the feet was called "slippers".

These shoes are designed for working day and night in what some folk would call bad places where the user will never make a footprint on a level surface until they get in the crummy to go home.

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 07-26-2006 at 11:14.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 14:44   #22
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_sf_med
The Chippewa Special Forces Mountain Boot, is, sadly, no longer manufactured, at least for the civilian community - it is not on the Chippewa site nor the Justin site. If you have a pair, keep them in good shape - they are expensive to resole (that 4 layer, leather, board, leather, vibram - sewn, nailed and screwed sole will last a long time) but I've never heard of anybody going through the upper withanything short of a charge or a very sharp object (there is the axe story, and the demo Xtrain story - ahh, later).

Any current 10th guys want to chime in? Are they still issued?
I hope you guys don't still get Hanwegs and Ramers - they were tired when I was there. another story about the guy who used to wear his Hanwegs with civvies to look cool(?) didn't last long for some reason.
Fantastic boots. I still have mine x_. I've had them since 1970. I still have the brass toe protectors on them as well. They were put on to prevent the 'bear claw' bindings we used then from chewing the toe of the soles up. I know lksteve still has his Chips also.
Old 07-26-2006, 16:12   #23
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
Fantastic boots. I still have mine x_. I've had them since 1970. I still have the brass toe protectors on them as well. They were put on to prevent the 'bear claw' bindings we used then from chewing the toe of the soles up. I know lksteve still has his Chips also.
We were not allowed the "Navy Diver Toes"
got mine in 84, still going strong - I even have an extra set of 'new' original felt secondary insoles hanging around. And the answer is definitely NO, I won't give them away or sell them, or even trade them for food - now a Yarbrough is a different kind of trade (I am not even going to ttry to get on the list - who's idea was it to only offer 970 to 'prequlified' SF guys???).

Old 07-26-2006, 16:26   #24
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Don't let them bust you're balls. When preparing for Trek in Pisgah Nat'l Forest, I re-soled a set of all leather boots with a set of vibram soles similiar to these:

http://image.i-soldit.com/images/007...4724_07_06.jpg

The heel worked well for digging into the steep terrain. Especially going down hill. Not sure I'd want it that tall, (b/c risk of ankle roles) but if you say it works, I'll take your word...

Did you put out the flamers? Err, I mean the fires?
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 16:31   #25
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I am not even going to ttry to get on the list - who's idea was it to only offer 970 to 'prequlified' SF guys???
Perhaps you are mistaken. The Y Knife (the serialized version) was announced and offered for sale to anyone who would fill out the application and pay for it for over two years. You could even mail or fax the application in.

I believe lack of interest and extra work required to verify the applications caused the sale of them to come to an end. Then everyone who had not done anything up to that point to obtain one decided they wanted one.

Not sure what you mean by "pre-qualified". Everyone I know had to fill out the paperwork and wait to be verified, just like everyone else.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 16:38   #26
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Yeah, we put out or at least contained the fires.

At one point I was on the side of a hill with a buddy of mine and we were calling in bucket drops from a Bell 205 and a 212 within about 20 feet of us. I called AM on the Cell phone right as one of the birds came in for a drop and told him I had something I wanted him to hear- right as the 212 dropped a bunch of water just uphill from us, less than a hundred feet over my head. We could clearly see the pilot and spotter's facial expressions. It was very cool.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 19:03   #27
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
Fantastic boots. I still have mine x_. I've had them since 1970. .
Yep got mine also. Two pair since 1969.
Old 07-26-2006, 19:06   #28
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Perhaps you are mistaken. The Y Knife (the serialized version) was announced and offered for sale to anyone who would fill out the application and pay for it for over two years. You could even mail or fax the application in.

I believe lack of interest and extra work required to verify the applications caused the sale of them to come to an end. Then everyone who had not done anything up to that point to obtain one decided they wanted one.

Not sure what you mean by "pre-qualified". Everyone I know had to fill out the paperwork and wait to be verified, just like everyone else.

TR
TR-
I fell of the SF radar for a while due to personal issues - thus missed the 'announcement'. I was late to learn of the offer - no excuse, no rancor, just dissapointment that manufacturing runs could not be increased as demand dictated - I wouldn't mind waiting, as long as there was availability - they are going to have to be made over time, to meet the needs of graduating soldiers.

"prequalified" was used to mean those who had been through the Q prior to the issuance of the Y.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:38   #29
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
We were not allowed the "Navy Diver Toes"
got mine in 84, still going strong - I even have an extra set of 'new' original felt secondary insoles hanging around. And the answer is definitely NO, I won't give them away or sell them.
LOL You newer guys had a name for everything...... "Navy Diver Toes'. I dove some 'Hardhat', yeah the toes of those boots were pretty much encased in in a combination of metals that looked 'brassy/coppery. Sort of a 'Herman Munster' shoe fashion. Perhaps the forerunner of 'steel toed' boots. The protection we used on our Chips were more like strips, some parts open, some all metal. Hard to describe, but one piece. Crap! Now I feel like I have to go through the storage unit and find them. THEN... I have to take a pic. That means borrowing a dig cam. Ya know. You guys can be a pain in the ass at times.......

Now! Those that had the Chips, who remembers what we called 'whale sh*t"?

BTW. For some odd reason, I know all the words to N Sinatra's...... "These Boots are Made for Walking" Then again, I've been around a couple of years longer than NDD.

Last edited by 12B4S; 07-27-2006 at 02:46.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 21:26   #30
catd11r
Asset

Good Evening Sirs, I see the loggers on our strip job wear boots that look a lot like those. They cover the calf , almost to the knee because of the rattle snakes.
catd11r is offline   Reply With Quote