Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-12-2008, 07:26   #31
jwt5
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon65 View Post
Made sense to me. And I also liked it because I could go to any clothing sales on any base/post the US Military has and pick up BDUs, if needed.

The AF ABU isn't much better than the ACU. I think we have a bit of blue in ours, but it's difficult to tell the colors apart. We do have that cool tiger stripe pattern, tho.

I also heard about some PJs in Hurlburt wearing the MC uniforms. No idea where they got those.

Did anyone notice in the movie, "Transformers" that the ODA was wearing MC? My nephew picked that out and asked me what sort of uniforms they were wearing.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I think it was only the first half though. They were back into ACUs for the last part. (With the exception of the AF CCT)
Old 01-12-2008, 22:12   #32
Razor
Quiet Professional

If you search the web for some videos of the Army Marksmanship Team, you'll find them wearing khaki Crye combat pants.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:23   #33
Today&Tomorrow
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSalsa View Post
BINGO! Can someone please explain to me why Marine Infantry and Army Infantry have to have separate field uniforms?

Can you imagine what it would be like to resupply a joint unit in the field today...

"I need six sets of Marine Corps Desert, 4 sets of Army ACU and a side order of whatever the AF is wearing these days...."

I liked it MUCH better when we all wore the same thing.
Because the Marine Corps Chain of Command has the mentality that all our shit has to have the EGA (Eagle, Globe & Anchor) on it because we are the "Marines". Someone above my pay grade up high thinks we have to have different uniforms because we have to be able to stick out from the other services, but never thought about the issue of supply. Trust me though the diggies blow compared to the old woodlands & tricolors... But who am I? I am just a little guy on the totem pole... I am going to crawl back in my hole now..

Last edited by Today&Tomorrow; 01-13-2008 at 08:06.
Today&Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 16:20   #34
Viking
Quiet Professional

The only place I've found the ACUs blend really well is the parking lots around Bagram. For goodness sakes, don't lay down anywere on Camp Vance. You'll get stepped on or run over for sure!!! I've been changing most of my kit over to MC over the past year. I work at Mackall and it blends in great out there.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:11   #35
gagners
Asshat 6

The only place I've seen it work well is on a rock face - and there it's pretty good. I mean, we all know how often we're scaling rock faces enroute to the ORP... Why give up that camo for something that works in the woods or the desert? I mean, really, how often are we there???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Ddave View Post
Yeah, I kinda like the ACUs...it's 'retro'... Retro back to frickin the Confederacy’s gray uniforms.

I want to know what the hell an ACU pattern is supposed to blend into? Hesco barriers? Was they guy who picked it color blind?

Too bad we didn't get multi cam, pretty squared away pattern and co. I understand AF PJ s are wearing them in the field.
dave
Old 01-20-2008, 16:46   #36
LeapingGnome
Quiet Professional

Location: Roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it
and the best argument i've heard...

a pogue friend of mine(unit withheld for the sake of embarrassment) said he loves them because you don't have to starch/iron them.....

An Army of sheep, led by a lion is more to be feared than an Army of lions led by a sheep
-Alexander the Great
LeapingGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 17:18   #37
dewygman
SF Candidate

Supposed reason for ACU issue...

I have a good friend from my old unit who landed a pogue job at AMC (Army Materials Command) somehow as a "Infantry expert" testing new night vision equipment for the Army. Ineveitably, hes involved in a lot of stuff the army is putting out there. So I asked him about ACU's and why the hell the Army thought they were such a great idea. He told me that the Army is looking at the soldier as more of a piece of equipment than a person nowadays. I agree. Anyway, a soldier wearing ACU's at night is difficult to see with NOD's. Since we "own the night" and the enemy has night vision capabilities, the ACU was supposed to apparently help us keep our advantage over the enemy. 1st hand experience, i dont think they make that much of a difference at all. I wanna wear MC's.
dewygman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:15   #38
Defender968
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon65 View Post
Made sense to me. And I also liked it because I could go to any clothing sales on any base/post the US Military has and pick up BDUs, if needed.

The AF ABU isn't much better than the ACU. I think we have a bit of blue in ours, but it's difficult to tell the colors apart. We do have that cool tiger stripe pattern, tho.

I also heard about some PJs in Hurlburt wearing the MC uniforms. No idea where they got those.

Did anyone notice in the movie, "Transformers" that the ODA was wearing MC? My nephew picked that out and asked me what sort of uniforms they were wearing.
Agree with the AF pattern not being any better than the ACU, but as bad as the ACU is I'd still take it over the ABU with it's completely ridiculous extra crap. I mean come on a map pocket made up of 3 layers of fabric that covers your entire chest (which is completely useless with body armor on) and yes that's 4 layers of winter weight starch free, wrinkle proof fabric over your heart in a uniform that we're deploying with to the desert good call uniform board! The same exact useless pockets (again when wearing armor) as were in the BDU/DCU, WOW how revolutionary! . A freaking wrench pocket WTF, A PDA pocket just what my guys need, and no less than 6 pen pockets, yea Airmen Battle Uniform my A$$! The company who designed it calls it the Airmen Barracks Uniform. But it does achieve two things... it shows how out of touch the AF leadership was/is with their real battlefield airmen and what they need, and it keeps us from having to starch our uniforms. Give me a set of BDU/DCU's anyday.

http://www.tigerstripeproducts.com/airforcetiger.htm

Quote:
Note to the ranks: When we started the uniform project in 2002, USAF Leadership informed us that 97% of AF personnel did not need a battle uniform but rather a barracks utility work uniform. Leadership ultimately received exactly what they asked for. The resulting uniform is that barracks utility work uniform.
Defender968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 17:11   #39
_S2_
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewygman View Post
I have a good friend from my old unit who landed a pogue job at AMC (Army Materials Command) somehow as a "Infantry expert" testing new night vision equipment for the Army. Ineveitably, hes involved in a lot of stuff the army is putting out there. So I asked him about ACU's and why the hell the Army thought they were such a great idea. He told me that the Army is looking at the soldier as more of a piece of equipment than a person nowadays. I agree. Anyway, a soldier wearing ACU's at night is difficult to see with NOD's. Since we "own the night" and the enemy has night vision capabilities, the ACU was supposed to apparently help us keep our advantage over the enemy. 1st hand experience, i dont think they make that much of a difference at all. I wanna wear MC's.
I found out during my Iraq deployment ACUs are excellent in low light situations and it is hard to pick them out through NODs. There are only a few advantages out of many disadvantages. Big Army thinking
_S2_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 23:32   #40
dewygman
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S2_ View Post
I found out during my Iraq deployment ACUs are excellent in low light situations and it is hard to pick them out through NODs. There are only a few advantages out of many disadvantages. Big Army thinking
yep, big army. we definately need a new camo pattern. MC is the way to go
Old 07-06-2008, 09:35   #41
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

Rangers and MC

I have it on semi-good authority that 3/75th is wearing MC on their current deployment. They're supposed to pick them up in a famous beer-loving country en route to their final destination. Maybe some photos will pop up once they get in country.
For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the [terrorists] -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.
-D. W. Brogan, The American Character
NoRoadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 22:50   #42
TheBeav
Asset

The most recent rumors I have been hearing is that the Army will be changing over to the Multi Cam uniform "soon" (meaning 5 - 10 years).
TheBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:05   #43
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeav View Post
The most recent rumors I have been hearing is that the Army will be changing over to the Multi Cam uniform "soon" (meaning 5 - 10 years).
Hey, Beav, you might want to reread the registration message you were sent, or at least read the stickies and rules and comply before posting further.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 13:17   #44
Cedo Nulli
Asset

Typically lurk the site, but I've got some knowledge/experience with MC...

and not to further rumors, but the same the Beav brought up was also related to me by the Army 4 shop guys here this past week actually...so somewhere it's gotten out to the Army rumor channels.

I've seen a few joes come through the FOB rocking MC, but primarily been PMCs, but there have been some unknowns on/off I've seen also.

Monsoon65,
I've worn the MC out on a SERE exercise stateside, and the Pjs were outfitted in same, but I've only seem them wearing ACU here in the sandbox. I have to agree about the ABU, and as Defender said, I hate the ABUs...such a horrible mistake. Personally, I hope there is vailidity in the MC rumors and those of us who work ILO will also follow suit, as we should have done with the ACU and not spent millions on the POS ABU.

Defender,
You should know by now the big AF doesn't take care of "us". We're treated much better by the Army (usually).
I will never let my brother out of it's shadow, nor my nation out of it's shelter.
I will die, with my shield before me, facing the enemy.
Cedo Nulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 13:12   #45
Lmmsoat
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
How the "F" did Multi Cam lose? Can someone explain?

Not sure if MC was part of the down select but I do have info on how the ACU pattern was selected. Some well meaning officer decided to creat a "universal" cammo pattern. He did this by combining colors from the three most common combat AO's.

Urban = grey
Desert = tan
Woodland = green

What he did not understand was the hue affect. Up close the pattern would be distinguishable. As you move away from the pattern the colors combine to form a common hue (color). In the case of the ACU it is in the blue range. This is the primary reason why the ACU does not blend in with anything. Normally when a pattern is chossen for consideration it goes through a lengthy testing process by the alphabet soup of labs. In the case of the ACU, this testing process was shortened because of the percieved need to get the new uniform out on the street. So instead of choosing a pattern based on scientific testing, it was chosen because it was the "coolest looking". The scientific community that is responsible for the testing process attempted to protest but was squashed, again by well meaning officers.

The fact that the pattern performs well under NODs is more due to the fabric used and not the camoflauge. But the same stuff that makes the uniform NOD invisible and wrinkle free also makes it highly flamable. So you have that to also add to the list of negatives.
Lmmsoat is offline   Reply With Quote