Old 02-09-2010, 10:46   #691
Paslode
Area Commander

In regards to frozen piping.

If your house is plumbed in copper tube, PEX, or CTS-CPVC a handy item to have around are Sharkbite fittings. They will generally work (in a pinch) on Grey PB - Polybutylene as well but it is not warrantied or advised for PB.

http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbi...t_products.php

And one of these that will get you in nearly any confined area:

http://www.drainbrain.com/specialties/autocut.html
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:40   #692
Dozer523
BANNED USER

If you want to get in the right mind-set for winter survival thought, read Jack London's To Build A Fire

http://www.jacklondons.net/Media/to_...print_ver.html

"It was not because he was long used to it. He was a new-comer in the land, a chechaquo, and this was his first winter. The trouble with him was that he was without imagination. He was quick and alert in the things of life, but only in the things, and not in the significances."

Last edited by Dozer523; 02-09-2010 at 12:42.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 13:23   #693
dadof18x'er
Guerrilla

[QUOTE=dadof18x'er;292142]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof18x'er View Post

for those interested we have now started using this filter and I am really
impressed with its simplicity. The water tastes good and according to the
specs it leaves the desirable minerals.

after 4 months we couldn't be happier with this filter. AND it's EMP proof
Isaiah 2:17

The arrogance of man will be brought low
and the pride of men humbled;
the LORD alone will be exalted in that day,
dadof18x'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:11   #694
Ryanr
Auxiliary

My apologies if this has been covered -- but should ease of field stripping and continued maintenance (maybe without all the right tools) be a factor in choosing a handgun for the sorts of scenarios discussed in this thread? If so, does anyone have recommendations of handguns that can be very easily maintained and like to keep performing after a lot of abuse?
Ryanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:18   #695
LarryW
Area Commander

Quote:
(by ryanr) If so, does anyone have recommendations of handguns that can be very easily maintained and like to keep performing after a lot of abuse?
First of all, use the search function and read. FWIW, I'm no expert and you may (bank on it) get a lot of various opinions, but here's mine: Colt, 1911A1, .45 ACP, Automatic. Was dissatisfied with Remington, and some Springfields re: replacement parts. Some parts looked as if they'd been cast instead of milled, and they broke. Colts held up.

(I have no experience with Glocks or any of the other newer autos, so take this for what it's worth. Like noted above, use the search function. You'll get a whole bunch of expert opinions.)

Keep shopping (and reading), good luck, and shoot straight.

Edit Note: Type-O's.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:43   #696
koz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanr View Post
If so, does anyone have recommendations of handguns that can be very easily maintained and like to keep performing after a lot of abuse?
You'll get a ton of opinions -
Glock, Springfield XD's, HK USP are all very reliable and will stand up to a ton of abuse under some of the harshest conditions.

Also some basic maintenance is a great way to keep your gun running.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:01   #697
wet dog

Ryan

Quote:
My apologies if this has been covered -- but should ease of field stripping and continued maintenance (maybe without all the right tools) be a factor in choosing a handgun for the sorts of scenarios discussed in this thread? If so, does anyone have recommendations of handguns that can be very easily maintained and like to keep performing after a lot of abuse?
Is having an auto important? Consider also, revolvers, much easier to train young'ns, wives and GFs. They also tend to conserve ammo, and easy to maintain under tough field conditions. With an older model SW, .357, I've used bird shot shells. Hell on rifling and barrels, but equally tough on birds, snakes and small animals. Something to consider in a survival scenario.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:03   #698
Ryanr
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
First of all, use the search function and read.
I've been reading all of the excellent opinions in the handgun threads -- and they're very helpful. I was unable, most likely due to my own failings, to find opinions directly relating to longevity when abused and repaired by complete beginners, with parts scavenged and such. I'm picturing a scenario where society has broken down to the point that I have to do any and all maintenance myself, or worse -- my wife or son has to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz
You'll get a ton of opinions -
Glock, Springfield XD's, HK USP are all very reliable and will stand up to a ton of abuse under some of the harshest conditions.

Also some basic maintenance is a great way to keep your gun running.
Thank you, much appreciated. I read on some gun forum (which I'm currently failing to locate and link) that USPs can be more difficult to detail strip with minimal tools, and may require more specialized parts -- is that accurate at all?

Would a revolver be a good backup option, for the simplicity of the design and maintenance? Edit: WD posted as I was typing this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
Is having an auto important? Consider also, revolvers, much easier to train young'ns, wives and GFs. They also tend to conserve ammo, and easy to maintain under tough field conditions. With an older model SW, .357, I've used bird shot shells. Hell on rifling and barrels, but equally tough on birds, snakes and small animals. Something to consider in a survival scenario.
I think I'll definitely have one in the kit for this reason, thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Ryanr; 02-10-2010 at 11:06.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:22   #699
wet dog

Ryan

You also need to realize that all things mechanical will fail at some point. Learn primative weapons and use them. Bow/arrow, knife/sword, rock/sling, spear, trapping and fishing. Oh, and learn how to start a fire and build a shelter.

Do not fear the learning curve, embrace it. 500,000 years of killing is in your DNA.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:30   #700
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
I was unable, most likely due to my own failings, to find opinions directly relating to longevity when abused and repaired by complete beginners, with parts scavenged and such. I'm picturing a scenario where society has broken down to the point that I have to do any and all maintenance myself, or worse -- my wife or son has to do it.

Would a revolver be a good backup option, for the simplicity of the design and maintenance?
After armageddon weapons will not stop working. What will happen over time(20 yrs) will be that small cottage industries will evolve to sell/build/fix tools. Weapons being a primary tool in a survival scenario.

If you read about the weapons dealers & traders in the middle East, you will quickly see how a survivalist community operates. With some very basic tools and manufacturing know-how you can build anything.

Learning to maintain your tools and building a spare parts inventory is only the beginning. You need AMMO. Again, this is where the cottage industry will augment individuals that can or won't help themselves.

To your 2nd question:

Revolvers can be a back-up or primary. The only difference is how fast you reload while standing on top of the parapet defending your homestead from the vast hordes of zombies and Democrats..

For the here and now, Revolvers fair better at abuse than semi-auto pistols. BUT why abuse a tool that can last for a life time,, with a small amount of care??

Some will be prepared,, Others won't...

My $00.0003
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scary_pics_mar2_006.jpg (44.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Osama-in-Pakistan--37300.jpg (76.3 KB, 135 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 19:23   #701
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I know very few people who keep enough ammo on hand to actually wear out or break a weapon through use.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 19:50   #702
koz
Quiet Professional

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...iew&id=90&Item

This is pretty interesting "abuse" done to a Glock 21. He ran 15K+ rounds w/out cleaning... He dropped it out of an airplane, shot it with a .22, buried it in all types of dirt/sand/etc, salt water soak, ..

Last edited by koz; 02-11-2010 at 09:31. Reason: spelling
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 20:15   #703
Ryanr
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by koz View Post
http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...iew&id=90&Item

This is pretty interesting "abuse" done to a Glock 21. He ran 15K+ rounds w/out cleaning... He dropped it out of an airplane, shoot it with a .22, buried it in all types of dirt/sand/etc, salt water soak, ..
Wow. I'm gonna go ahead and stop worrying about this particular issue; I clearly grossly underestimated the durability of firearms.

Last edited by Ryanr; 02-10-2010 at 20:33.
Old 02-10-2010, 20:31   #704
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

A guy did the same with a FAL.

Had over 15,000 rounds without cleaning before it gave him any problems.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:19   #705
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Had over 15,000 rounds without cleaning before it gave him any problems.
That a whole lot o' zombies!
Razor is online now   Reply With Quote