Old 07-15-2006, 05:28   #196
x SF med
Quiet Professional

TR- I think defensive planning is done - Next Topic?

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:31   #197
MAB32

I also agree, what is next?
Old 07-15-2006, 06:23   #198
mugwump
Area Commander

I have a comms issue I could use advice on if that isn't jumping the gun.

Last edited by mugwump; 07-15-2006 at 06:34.
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:59   #199
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Next up:

Breathable Air
First Aid/Medicine/Escape gear
Defense
Shelter/Warmth/Light
Water
Food/cooking
Sanitation
Commo
Power/Fuel
Tools
Transportation/Mobility
Entertainment

My thought is that this next topic can cover both how to stay warm and dry in the woods as well as in a dwelling after a disaster.

Disaster lighting is included as an adjunct to fire/warmth, but can be a separate topic.

What should we do to be prepared for a disaster, regardless of whether it is the roof being ripped off by a hurricane, the power going out in a winter storm, being caught by an early snowfall surprise in the woods, or if pandemic flu hits and support systems fail, we stay warm and dry?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:07   #200
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
My thought is that this next topic can cover both how to stay warm and dry in the woods as well as in a dwelling after a disaster.

Disaster lighting is included as an adjunct to fire/warmth, but can be a separate topic.

What should we do to be prepared for a disaster, regardless of whether it is the roof being ripped off by a hurricane, the power going out in a winter storm, being caught by an early snowfall surprise in the woods, or if pandemic flu hits and support systems fail, we stay warm and dry?

TR
Haven't had enought coffee yet, but off the top of my head to start:

Clothing/Warmth related

Blankets
Tarps (for cover and to keep supplies dry)
Extra clothing items that can be layered
Socks
Sturdy shoes/boots
Gloves
Hats (wool type coverings) and scarves

Lighting:

Various Flashlights and batteries for same
Candles (?)
Matches
Lighters
Perhaps some type of oil lamps (?)

I'm probably thinking too much "inside the box" and look forward to other ideas.
Old 07-15-2006, 17:32   #201
BoyScout
Guerrilla

For warmth while growing up, coleman used to make kerosene heaters that we used when the power went out in the winter. Was that a good idea? Lighting was often done either by lanterns or candles. My wife and I keep an oil lamp and some candles.

My question is what can be used in tornado shelters for warmth and lighting? Last F-5 to hit arround here put a large roof ontop of the shelter my brother and his family is using and then had to be fond and dug out. One may be stuck there for a while and tonados have happened in December.
BoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:44   #202
7624U
Quiet Professional

Shelter: having a good 2-3 man tent that is easy to set up is a life saver.
also if you want to stay real dry having some type of large encloser over that tent can be handy.
When its warm out you wont need the smaller tent just the larger encloser like a BBQ tent or bug screen that has a roof nothing fancey,
it will do nicely to keep the bugs off so you can sleep.

If all you have is the small tent because you dont have the larger.
make sure you always leave a window open to get fresh air while its raining. some tents if they get real wet, will form a vapor lock and you could die inside it from Co2 posioning.

Always have some type of ground pad to lay on even if its just cardboard
your loss of body heat will be twice as fast threw contact with the cold ground.

Survival clothing Wool is my choice ( yes its itchy) its not soft like fleece liners.
Man made outdoor clothing has come a long way but Wool as a under garment under your Gortex jacket is still the best for retaining heat while wet. dress in layers and cotton kills most know these simple truths.

"Me"

Last edited by 7624U; 07-16-2006 at 10:48.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 17:13   #203
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyScout
My question is what can be used in tornado shelters for warmth and lighting? Last F-5 to hit arround here put a large roof ontop of the shelter my brother and his family is using and then had to be fond and dug out. One may be stuck there for a while and tonados have happened in December.
Well, in an enclosed shelter, you don't want something that will produce fumes unless you have a way to vent it.
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 21:32   #204
BoyScout
Guerrilla

Monsoon, of course. Most tornado shelters are ventilated with a four to six inch air duct that wasp loved to build their nest in. Not enough for fueled heaters. But brown reclouse (not sure aabout the spelling) or fiddlebacks as they are called locally love to make their homes in them so blankets and sleeping bags that are not sealed in plastic are not a good idea. (I do not have a lot of money and barely scrape by so plastic bags/containers to store are not as important as medicine and food.) These little boogers have a nasty necrodic venom and can do a lot of damage. One came close to killing me.

Speaking of fiddle backs, if you store you tents and other camping gear make sure that they are not going to surpise you when you use them. I know most people on this forum know that, but sometimes one tends to not think about them. And if you have to live out of a tent for a while, you might want to check out you shelter daily. I have seen experienced campers fail to do so and find themselves surprised.

If you find yourself trapped under rubble, debrit or the odd roof, you could be in for a wait. In my family's case, over three hours. Make sure you have water. Not tring to hijack again, but it had just came to me and it can be easily over looked. You get hit at night, rescue personnel may not find you for a while.
Old 07-19-2006, 15:29   #205
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyScout
Monsoon, of course. Most tornado shelters are ventilated with a four to six inch air duct that wasp loved to build their nest in. Not enough for fueled heaters. But brown reclouse (not sure aabout the spelling) or fiddlebacks as they are called locally love to make their homes in them so blankets and sleeping bags that are not sealed in plastic are not a good idea. (I do not have a lot of money and barely scrape by so plastic bags/containers to store are not as important as medicine and food.) These little boogers have a nasty necrodic venom and can do a lot of damage. One came close to killing me.

Speaking of fiddle backs, if you store you tents and other camping gear make sure that they are not going to surpise you when you use them. I know most people on this forum know that, but sometimes one tends to not think about them. And if you have to live out of a tent for a while, you might want to check out you shelter daily. I have seen experienced campers fail to do so and find themselves surprised.

If you find yourself trapped under rubble, debrit or the odd roof, you could be in for a wait. In my family's case, over three hours. Make sure you have water. Not tring to hijack again, but it had just came to me and it can be easily over looked. You get hit at night, rescue personnel may not find you for a while.
Geez, Brown Recluse! I was stationed at Tinker AFB with the 3rd Combat Comm. We checked everything before and after we went into the field.

If you're storing stuff in plastic bags, how about tossing in some mothballs? Would that keep the critters out??

Earlier in this thread, they discussed keeping wrecking bars/pinch bars handing in case you're trapped in a shelter.
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 17:13   #206
MAB32

For warmth it will depend on whether I am inviting the neighborhood or I am wanting to stay in hiding. If I were to remain in hiding I will use clothing and disposable heaters tucked in various places around my skin and my family's. We all know that with small fires smoke travels very far and it is a signal that lights the night. Yes, doing this will be somewhat uncomfortable but I think it is a "can-do." Just my FWIW info.
Old 07-19-2006, 18:28   #207
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Brown recluse / warmth

I still hammer my shoes together and snap my clothes prior to getting dressed - nasty little buggers.

I still use the old standby's for 'emergency situations' poncho liner and space blanket combo. Planned situations - 2 bag system convertible to warm and extreme cold (50 to -30 F) along with the poncho liner. (I may need to replace my PL in the future, are they still available?)

A survial fire or indian bed is really good if you aren't fully tactical, and shelter is a matter of making it, depending on the time yiou plan to spend in the AO - just passing through, quick lean-to or hooch or snow hole - long term, get as involved as you want.

As to tents - a 2 layer survival tube is great - light and easy to set up (anybody else remember the PITA 'eco-tat' that was issued in the mid eighties? these asre the exact opposite, easy to set up and vented, and dry)

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 20:45   #208
BoyScout
Guerrilla

Monsoon, as for the pry bars, plan for the worst, hope for the best. It also might not be a good idea to try to pry or hack your way out if you are in a basement and the place has colapsed apon itself(maybe not tornado related but earthquake?), it might resualt in a cave in if you disturb something that is baring a load. You might not even get to shelter door cracked if something is too heavy.

As for mothballs, they either work for a short period of time or not at all. I have seen them sitting on the darned balls. Unless the contatiner is sealed, expect them.

I forgot about pocket heaters and the odd electric sock, also thremacare disposible heat packs can last a while.

I'll take what ever punisihment I get, I didn't want to hi-jack.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:08   #209
7624U
Quiet Professional

BUMP

topic shelter

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:14   #210
jatx
Area Commander

I keep a Go-Lite waterproof tarp in the truck, along with some 550 cord and lightweight stakes. This combo is much lighter and more flexible than a tent for short-term shelter requirements. The tarp can also be used to make a more permanent, lean-to type shelter more weather and wind resistant.

While I have a one person space blanket in my pack at all times (primarily as a first aid item), I have also started carrying the two person shelter version as well. It weighs nothing and takes up very little room.

I'd be very interested in tips on constructing various types of shelters in different environments.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote