Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 03-31-2004, 09:33   #1
Kyobanim

Advise on a gun purchase

I'm thinking about buying this: Ruger Mini 14 $500.
W/ 2.5 x 10 x 50 Simmons As New Condition 12-360

It's in a gun store and is 'slightly' used according to the shop. Question is, I've never owned a mini-14 and I'm not sure what to look out for in a used one. It's just for target shooting though I might get back into the 3 gun meets if I can get back in shape.

I would prefer to get a AR15 but that's just a little out of my range for now.

If the rifle is in good shape is this a good deal? and what constitutes good shape?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:52   #2
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Which model Mini 14 is it? ranch or standard? (if it has scope mounts its a ranch). stainless or blued?

Mini-14's are good ranch rifles and thats about it. They should not be considered a "tactical" rifle (although in a pinch they will do the trick).

Also with that scope you will dislodge a lense or crack some part on it after about 200-300 rounds. I speak from experience I have tried all kinds of scopes on my mini-14 Trashco (tasco), Burris, and a Simons they have all cracked or broken in on fashion or another while on my mini. One of the only scopes that can handle the mini-14 is a Leupold, that is a hole lot of money to spend on that grade of rifle.

If I were you I would buy an AR if you can't afford the whole rifle buy it in parts and build your own. You will learn more about your rifle then you will ever care to know.

Just my .02 cents
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:16   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Re: Advise on a gun purchase

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyobanim
I'm thinking about buying this: Ruger Mini 14 $500.
W/ 2.5 x 10 x 50 Simmons As New Condition 12-360

It's in a gun store and is 'slightly' used according to the shop. Question is, I've never owned a mini-14 and I'm not sure what to look out for in a used one. It's just for target shooting though I might get back into the 3 gun meets if I can get back in shape.

I would prefer to get a AR15 but that's just a little out of my range for now.

If the rifle is in good shape is this a good deal? and what constitutes good shape?
You can pick up a brand new Colt H-Bar AR-15 for $800. If you are thinking about the matches I'd spend the few extra dollars and pick up the Colt.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:31   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Concur.

The Ruger is a good carbine, but is normally a 3 moa rifle. The optics are overkill.

I would hold out for a good AR15 clone, like Armalite, Bushmaster, or Rock River.

Go to Auction Arms or Gunbroker.com or the printed "Gunlist" and check real world prices.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:44   #5
Kyobanim

Thanks all for the advise.

Since it looks like the assault rifle ban is going to sunset, what do you think the chances are that the prices will come down?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:02   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyobanim
Thanks all for the advise.

Since it looks like the assault rifle ban is going to sunset, what do you think the chances are that the prices will come down?
IF it does not get renewed, or continued by Executive Order,

1) then mag prices should drop quickly, and scarcity for US made mags should go away

2) guns affected by the AWB would have pre-ban features restored, but should not change prices much as they still cost roughly the same price to manufacture.

You can already find deals on post and pre-bans if you shop, but I would wait and get one with the post-post ban features.

HTH.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 03-31-2004, 11:03   #7
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

If it sunsets, IMO, the cost of the new production rifles you are talking about won't come down much. THey will just come with the "pre-ban" configuration again. The savings will be in the high capacity magzines and folding stock catagories.

The prices of guns that will be affected are the current "used pre-ban" configuration guns that are currently limited in quantity therefore more highly priced.

Of course, I could be wrong... after all I thought NDD was "straight" until I saw him in a spider man costume and posting poetry on a professional soldier site.

edited.. TR beat me to it. Look like I was probably right, about several things in this post. LOL
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 13:03   #8
Air.177
Quiet Professional

The only real problem that I have with Mini-14s is the lack of quality magazines. Maybe Ruger will make Hi-caps after september, but based on their attitude toward civilian ownership of such things in the past, I doubt it. Also, $500 sound kinda high. We had an excellent condition Pre-ban Mini-14 that didn't even sell for that much.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 19:42   #9
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Kyobanim-
All the things these gentlemen say are true about the Mini-14.. but they are still a very nice little gun to own. Have had not problem with magazines myself. I now have a m4clone too, but this is a nice little weapon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m14closedstock.jpg (77.1 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 04-11-2004 at 20:10.
Old 04-11-2004, 19:43   #10
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

One more of the little baby...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m14stockextended.jpg (44.0 KB, 137 views)
Old 04-11-2004, 19:57   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Kyobanim-
All the things these gentlemen say are true about the M14.. but they are still a very nice little gun to own. Have had not problem with magazines myself. I now have a m4clone too, but this is a nice little weapon.
Bling bling!!

I hear that you can get those chromed, and you already have a source for gold teefs.

It is in no way an M-14. Please do not blaspheme like that.

TR

Old 04-11-2004, 20:10   #12
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

TR-
LOL....

It is all SS, as you already new. haha Will quit diggin now!!! I like it...haha

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 04-11-2004 at 20:13.
Old 04-11-2004, 20:10   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Kyobanim-
All the things these gentlemen say are true about the M14.. but they are still a very nice little gun to own. Have had not problem with magazines myself. I now have a m4clone too, but this is a nice little weapon.
Doc you may want to stick with consults concerning teeth.....

This is an M14
Old 04-11-2004, 20:17   #14
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Doc you may want to stick with consults concerning teeth.....

This is an M14
Damn..one friggin typo and back in the crosshairs...

Roger TS... Is it just me or are you and TR trying to not so subtly tell me something!! LOL Lesson learned.
Old 04-11-2004, 20:25   #15
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

One mistake in your world and it might make for a bad day. One mistake in my former world and someone loses their life. It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye.

TS

(Pimp gun, LOLOLOL)