Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 05-19-2010, 12:23   #61
DI-BLUE
Asset

Don't forget us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
but it worked for me in the lands of Lyme (TX, MA, NC, GA, NY, NJ, PA) - works for most bugs - chiggers, ticks, mosquitoes, flies.
Don't forget Connecticut, the first cases in the US were discovered in the towns of Lyme and Old Lyme, Connecticut in 1975.

One of our many great contributions to the US, along with the Connecticut compromise and Hosmer Mountan Soda.
I will take your breath away ~Breaking Benjamin-I will not bow (chorus)
DI-BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:46   #62
JimP
Quiet Professional

ONLY sure way to get rid of them is the following: shave your junk - REAL close. Then, ensure you scrub affected area till the skin is red and raw. Next, fill a mason jar with turpentine. All that remains is for you to "dip your junk in the mug". Trust me - you won't even THINK about that tick for quite a while. Works great.....also works real well for crotch-pheasants and assorted venereal maladies.

Tried the match-head stuff back in the day. Not sure it worked. Also tried loading up on brewers yeast. Seemed to work real well (but tough to prove a negative or to assess linkage to the remedy).
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 22:04   #63
incarcerated
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
Have you tried this?
That’s why you’re an attorney.

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:33   #64
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I have noticed that more than few have referred to "Chiggers". I believe the correct term, in order to maintain Political Correctness, is "Chigroes"...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:55   #65
Pete E
Asset

Gents,

I'm not sure it would help with Ticks that are fully buired under the skin, but the
"special tick tweezers" below known as the "Fastingplockare Tick1" are but far the best device I've seen or tried to remove ticks without leaving their feeding parts behind.

http://www.jaktojagare.se/upload/art.../tabort_s.jpeg

Although the translation of the name infers they are a tweezers, thats not stricktly correct as they have a very fine "loop" formed at the tips that can be drawn over the tick and used to "encourage" it to let go...

Tick Remover Available Here

Regards,

Peter

Men of Harlech
Pete E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 15:27   #66
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Try this...

Use a Q-Tip and dab on Hydrogen Peroxide on each tick. Get the peroxide on the tick...

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 00:31   #67
greentick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I have noticed that more than few have referred to "Chiggers". I believe the correct term, in order to maintain Political Correctness, is "Chigroes"...
red-bug americans
greentick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 00:36   #68
greentick
Quiet Professional

Seriously tho, this thing works great.

http://www.rei.com/product/407279

Weighs nothing, easy to clean (use one of those matchheads, still attached to the match), fool proof.

Pulled several ticks off my dogs and a couple off of me as well. Head comes right out with the body.
greentick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:56   #69
Earl_J
Asset

... not on skin ...

I had a bout of chiggers once - 40 or so years ago right here in NC...
Learned my lesson... I now wear two or three flea and tick collars on any extended stay in the woods. I would wear one in each blouse of my boots - outside my socks and tucked inside the blouse not to touch any skin... I pull the blouse down over the tops of my boots. If the loop is longer than required, I trim the ends into shorter pieces an inch or so long and place them in pockets and pouches of the rucksack.
I also wear a third one looped between two or three belt loops on the back of my trousers... never had a problem after that.
Chiggers look for places of constriction; boot tops and belt line... don't ask me why...

The trick is not to wear the collars in any spot where they can contact the skin or come into contact with your hands or face during the normal daily routine.

I scratched at night (in my sleep) until I had holes in my calves about an inch across... they were very nasty... I still have the scars; although faded somewhat.
On a side note, perhaps that squalene connection might be our modern day version of sitting out in the sand in Nevada during a nuclear detonation...
We seriously injure our own military in the name of research and combat safety ... (sigh) through simple ignorance, and the irresistible desire to see how close we can get to the train before getting decapitated...

God bless both groups of dedicated military members 60 years apart for their service and sacrifice ...

"Born on Valley Isle,
Home now, North Carolina;
Aloha y'all..."

Until that time ... Earl J.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:16   #70
Pete
Quiet Professional

Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl_J View Post
........ had a bout of chiggers once - 40 or so years ago right here in NC................

Until that time ... Earl J.....................
Earl;

Didn't I give you something to copy a couple of years ago? Couple of 5th Group year books from the 1970s?

Anyway - no slack given to anyone. Trot on over to the intro thread and make your next post there.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:16   #71
Earl_J
Asset

... perhaps ...

Yes, I seem to recall something of that nature about that time...

Did I mention that I don't remember being this forgetful when I was younger?
I thought I did fix my profile... I'll go check...
I certainly don't want to appear uncooperative ... I really am; I just don't want to appear that way... (grin)

Until that time ... Earl J.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:22   #72
Earl_J
Asset

... intro ... dhoh!

Oh...
the Intro thread... gee whiz...
Old 06-10-2012, 11:02   #73
JMonty
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
And what are SF guys doing with clear nail polish?
If it works...
"I say to you now only what I would say to my own men, knowing the fear that stands unspoken in each heart - not of death, but worse, of faltering or failing, of somehow proving unworthy in this, the ultimate hour. Forget every concept, however noble, that you imagine you fight for here today. Act for this alone: for the man who stands at your shoulder." -Dienekes 'Gates of Fire'
JMonty is offline   Reply With Quote