Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 11-27-2015, 08:52   #31
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flag 1 View Post
Bushmills, I just can't help myself when it comes to this Irish Whiskey. It is said, that God himself invented Bushmills to keep the Irish from running the world.
I've always preferred Jameson to Bushmills when it comes to Irish whiskeys.

The word "whiskey" comes from the old Gaelic "uisge beatha" which translates to "water of life".

It's been my go-to drink when paying respects to the dead, celebrating births, marriages, anniversaries, or days ending in "y".
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:06   #32
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
The word "whiskey" comes from the old Gaelic "uisge beatha" which translates to "water of life".

Show off.

Jameson's Black Barrel, 'nuff said.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:22   #33
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
Ever try the Bushmills 400th anniversary stuff?

I saw it in the airport a couple times and was a dumbass walking past it.

Quite cheap then, harder to come by now.
I've had varities of Bushmills when in England, and visits to Ireland. I've not had much luck finding anything but the good ole' primary Bushmills, CONUS. The Jameson's bottling looks better that the Bushmills offering, but I'll take the later everytime. Duty free shopping for some things is a good thing.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:29   #34
VVVV

At 80 proof it's watered-down "water-of-life"!
Old 11-27-2015, 11:36   #35
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:

It's been my go-to drink when paying respects to the dead, celebrating births, marriages, anniversaries, or days ending in "y".
To this day, the Gaelic still believe in, and pay attention to it's "water of life". My favorite places in the wotrld, are Irish pubs, with peat burning in the fire place, Guinness and/or Bushmills, and the love of the Irish Pub Darts matches, and for singing after around 1900.

When living in Europe, bottled water was always assumed when one asked for,"A glass of water". The serving staff would simply ask, With gas, or without gas"; with gas meaning carbonation. We had a German couple over for diner one evening. He was a Poilzi Chopper Pilot, and his wife was a teacher. We had water on the table, and the pilot asked about the water, which brand of bottled water. We said it was tap water, and the guy physically recoiled from the glass. Tap water was not to be trusted, ever. We opened some Perrier for them and all got back to normal.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 23:23   #36
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flag 1 View Post
I've had varities of Bushmills when in England, and visits to Ireland. I've not had much luck finding anything but the good ole' primary Bushmills, CONUS. The Jameson's bottling looks better that the Bushmills offering, but I'll take the later everytime. Duty free shopping for some things is a good thing.
Agreed!
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:41   #37
mark46th
Quiet Professional

The latest on living longer...

www.telegraph.co.uk › News › Science › Science News
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:55   #38
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:

The Jameson people are pleasantly un-precious about their tipple. At the distillery, they offer a choice of mixer. Water or Ginger Ale and I must admit the Ginger Ale is quite tasty.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:12   #39
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymullins View Post
The Jameson people are pleasantly un-precious about their tipple. At the distillery, they offer a choice of mixer. Water or Ginger Ale and I must admit the Ginger Ale is quite tasty.
Ginger ale is a wonderful mixer if you can find one that is strong and not too sweet. Growing up in and near Michigan, I've always been fond of Vernors as a mixer - particularly with rum or whiskey.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
Old 12-17-2015, 11:36   #40
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Ginger ale is a wonderful mixer if you can find one that is strong and not too sweet. Growing up in and near Michigan, I've always been fond of Vernors as a mixer - particularly with rum or whiskey.
Exactly. In SA we get a few types but the best are Schwepps or Canada Dry, if you can find it.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:00   #41
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymullins View Post
Exactly. In SA we get a few types but the best are Schwepps or Canada Dry, if you can find it.
Those are too sweet without enough ginger. I do love Schweppes bitter lemon and gin, however.
Old 12-17-2015, 14:42   #42
Razor
Quiet Professional

Make your own ginger beer--water, grated ginger, sugar to taste and yeast + a cleaned out 2L soda bottle (with appropriate pressure release cap openings) + a couple days = ginger mixer with your desired level of sweetness.

I got tired (and too cheap) of buying Gosling's at the local liquor store.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 15:47   #43
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

All this talk of alcohol and mixers, I had to go back to the beginning and see what this thread was about, "Athletes & Soldiers relying on a pristine diet to combat the effects of oxidative stress."

Hilarious how we drifted off azimuth here!
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 14:43   #44
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Find Bundaberg Ginger Beer, you'll like it. Plus it goes extremely well with Appleton's Black Molasses Cask Strength Rum (if you can find it in your area).

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 17:14   #45
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
Find Bundaberg Ginger Beer, you'll like it. Plus it goes extremely well with Appleton's Black Molasses Cask Strength Rum (if you can find it in your area).
Bundaberg was available at the local Costco and was good stuff. Strong ginger ale/ginger beer with rum tastes like cream soda and goes down way too easily for its own good.