Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 12-15-2017, 14:44   #1
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

.45 Mystery Discharge

I've wanted to run this by an 18B or someone knowledgeable about the old military .45 and any glitches it might have.

Back in 1971 I was on a rifle range with my Cambodian company. Me and my bode CO were firing our .45's. I don't recall if I had fired a box of amo more or less. When finished I jacked a round in the chamber, put the gun on safety and put it in my custom holster which had a small leather strap that went over the hammer and buttoned down. The strap would not snap had the hammer been back.

I then walked over to a team member and was talking with him. I had my hands on my hips not touching the .45 when it discharged. The bullet took off the button on my fatigue pants and just caught the inside of my boot and nicked my big toe.

I've been around guns all my life and I consider myself extremely safe when handling guns.

I'm sure I put the safety on and I was not touching the grip safety so it was not depressed. I've always been of the belief that the gun cooked off, but not sure how a .45 could get that hot.

Anyone know if a history of this weapon discharging accidently and don't tell me this thread should be in the Comedy Zone
Old 12-15-2017, 14:55   #2
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Dean, this thread belongs in the Comedy Zone!

How did you put the safety on and the strap over your now “un-cocked” 1911?

(Otherwise it’s a mystery to me) I don’t think it cooked off.

ETA: Let’s say you did everything you said and it discharged.

1) Did it break or unsnap your retainer strap?
2) Did it cycle a new round or jam every step in the firing sequence afterwards?
3) Did it pass or fail a functions test after the discharge?

Answer to first question way above - TTBOMK you can’t activate the safety lever unless the gun is cocked!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 12-15-2017 at 15:14.
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 15:44   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I seriously doubt it cooked off. And I've had weapons cook off in my control.

If it cooked off there would not have been a firing pin dent on the primer.

And while the grip safeties failed all the time, the trigger had to be engaged (pulled) in order for the hammer to get past the “half cock” position.

So you placed the gun in the holster, thumb safe off and something in the holster engaged the trigger when you touched the side.

Watch this video at the 3:20 mark it animates a 1911.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6SmlOEzNBs
Old 12-15-2017, 16:31   #4
RCummings
Guerrilla

Sir, I took care of many .45's for 2nd ID as the 45B, with many days on the firing range with all types of folks using Remington Rand, Singer and many others. I never witnessed the weapon discharge on its own. From what you remembered would it have been possible that someone in your proximity fired the round that impacted you? May I ask how you knew that your weapon discharged?

V/R

Bob
RCummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 17:50   #5
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCummings View Post
Sir, I took care of many .45's for 2nd ID as the 45B, with many days on the firing range with all types of folks using Remington Rand, Singer and many others. I never witnessed the weapon discharge on its own. From what you remembered would it have been possible that someone in your proximity fired the round that impacted you? May I ask how you knew that your weapon discharged?

V/R

Bob
Very interesting comment. As a matter of fact, the Cambodians were filing off the range right to the side of me and when it went off the guy I was talking too thought one of the bodes shot me and he knocked the guy on his ass. However, looking at my gun, the hammer was cocked and there was a hole in the bottom of the holster.
Old 12-15-2017, 18:07   #6
RCummings
Guerrilla

With the hole in the bottom of the holster, I have nothing. Was the pant leg burned?
I have most certainly not seen everything, just my own experience with the firearm. I believe that a statement could be made that the trajectories of projectiles would be more problematic than a failure of that particular weapon or the operator, (you). During those days how and who maintained your weapons, (replacement parts inspections), I am glad the bullet did not harm you.

Very respectfully,

Bob
Old 12-15-2017, 19:14   #7
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Just my idea but there are some issues with my idea.

You cocked and locked it and when holstering it you tucked your shirt into the holster while at the same accidentally flicking the safety off. You think you got your strap fastened correctly but maybe not. When you put your hands on your hips you raised your shoulders enough to pull your shirt out of the holster and the gun went bang.

I have no idea how the “custom” holster was made and how much coverage it provided to the gun.

JMO maybe you could provide a picture of this holster and that was your problem.

ETA: As crazy as this sounds a shell casing may have fallen into your holster and you were able to holster the gun over a foreign object that pressed the trigger.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 12-15-2017 at 19:19.
Old 12-15-2017, 19:16   #8
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
I am far from an expert but I am wondering if the hammer was worn and just fell when jolted. I have heard of that happening usually after a home grown trigger job but it is possable it was so old possably WWI vintage when they rebuilt it someting was not perfect. Just a guess.
My other hypothesis but then the gun would have been malfunctioning on the range.

Old 12-15-2017, 19:53   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Jarvis View Post
Very interesting comment. As a matter of fact, the Cambodians were filing off the range right to the side of me and when it went off the guy I was talking too thought one of the bodes shot me and he knocked the guy on his ass. However, looking at my gun, the hammer was cocked and there was a hole in the bottom of the holster.
Dead giveaway right there....

I'm sticking with a worn sear and something engaged that trigger in the holster.
Old 12-15-2017, 21:33   #10
RCummings
Guerrilla

Last edited by RCummings; 05-05-2018 at 08:50.
Old 12-15-2017, 22:40   #11
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Was the pant leg burned?

Yes, there was a line down my leg to my knee where it looked like the thread was cut. Just lucky that it missed my knee and foot.

The 1911 was not issued to me. I had scrounged it and there had been no maintenance done on it. I'm sure it had been kicking around VN for many moons.
Old 12-15-2017, 22:45   #12
RCummings
Guerrilla

Was the weapon inspected after the incident?

V/R

Bob
Old 12-15-2017, 22:55   #13
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Was the weapon inspected after the incident?

V/R

Bob
No, they just took it away from me. No one ever asked what happened. The assumption was that I was just practicing my quick draw.
Old 12-15-2017, 23:02   #14
RCummings
Guerrilla

Well, on the bright side you were so quick nobody saw you draw, fire and reholster. So your practice paid off....probably still legendary!

V/R

Bob
Old 12-15-2017, 23:07   #15
Joker
Quiet Professional

That is why he is called the "Waco Kid."
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote