Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Vital Signs

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:01   #16
head
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_robalt View Post
...because I'm sry but a seasoned medic with deployment experience on not only the line but in the aidstation side of he house as well is going to be just as good if not better than a 18D straight outta the school house. I met and worked guys straight outta the school house and I can't say I'm too impressed.
No, you are definitely wrong and probably a liar, but, hey, at least you got the "I'm sry" part right. "Seasoned medics" don't ask where to put tourniquets.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:46   #17
Priest
Quiet Professional

Seeing how you also feel that your opinion, as a "seasoned medic," of how things should work in YOUR MIND- seeing how you, yourself have yet to present any documentation to support your argument - is not only more correct than an 18D straight out of the house, but also a trauma surgeon. swat surgeon gave you the down and dirty, and as someone who uses, trains and tests these devices on a regular basis, he would be the one to know. But, as your arrogant attitude isn't limited to your poor medical skills:

"I like to go hiking in the mountains of Colorado, and I like to work on my tactical skills playing Airsoft with some of my friends, seems I get better training outta that than in the army." -quoted from your profile

I think your problem is a deep rooted one and your arrogance is more likely to kill someone than placing a tourniquet around the fibula and tibia.

You don't ask a question, get well informed answers, and then keep asking until someone agrees with you.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:44   #18
Richard
Quiet Professional

This thread reminds me of something that happened one weekend to the Chief of the ER at Womack Army Hospital back in the early 70's, one of the brightest MDs I ever worked with and an officer who appreciated having two of us SF Medics SD on every shift in the ER at Fort Bragg.

He was from GA and an Emory grad so would make a monthly trek back to Atlanta by taking a three day weekend off. One weekend, he came upon a bad vehicle accident on the interstate and began providing emergency Rx to the most seriously injured victim. He said he was working on the patient when a woman came up, saw the victim and declared, "Oh my God! I'm a nurse, let me through!"...and pushed him aside to get at the injured victim. Stu (the MD) said he got up and told the woman, "Well, nurse, let me know when you need a doctor - I'm an ER physician."

He used to use that story to make a point with newly assigned ER staff about the importance of SA when facing an emergency...something this guy doesn't seem to have acquired.

Anybody wanna hand this guy a fire extinguisher so he can put himself out?

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 07-13-2011, 07:23   #19
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Dusty gave the best (and correct) answer!

The only question remaining is how much of the extremity or function below the joint you want the patient to have a chance of survival. Remember, it's life over limb. Limbs are attached to the torso. Everything below the joint is prostetic bonus material.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old 07-13-2011, 08:25   #20
DDD
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The reason I call him a wanna be is because all he talks about is how he was in group and that he is pretty much an 18D but guess what he's not. And the reason I am so critical about this is because I teach CLS for an IRT company so I'm teaching privates that are deploying ASAP to a unit that is already down range and if they put a tourniquet on wrong and get somebody killed because they had to get taught by the book, when the book is wrong, how do you think that soldiers confidence in not only himself but in medics and CLS training going to be. Also as far as going to selection I'd be more than willing to go if t weren't for having to learn my job all over again for a year, because I'm sry but a seasoned medic with deployment experience on not only the line but in the aidstation side of he house as well is going to be just as good if not better than a 18D straight outta the school house. I met and worked guys straight outta the school house and I can't say I'm too impressed.
ME, ME, ME!!! I'm on fire, put ME out!!! I have wasted hours trying to unteach stupid s#!t that supposedly squared CLS instructors taught (taping TQs in place). I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:26   #21
Guy
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up BINGO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
Unless they put the TQ around their patient's neck, they aren't going to kill someone by "incorrect" placement. The book isn't wrong YOU ARE
Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 07-13-2011, 09:23   #22
MTN Medic
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The reason I call him a wanna be is because all he talks about is how he was in group and that he is pretty much an 18D but guess what he's not. And the reason I am so critical about this is because I teach CLS for an IRT company so I'm teaching privates that are deploying ASAP to a unit that is already down range and if they put a tourniquet on wrong and get somebody killed because they had to get taught by the book, when the book is wrong, how do you think that soldiers confidence in not only himself but in medics and CLS training going to be. Also as far as going to selection I'd be more than willing to go if t weren't for having to learn my job all over again for a year, because I'm sry but a seasoned medic with deployment experience on not only the line but in the aidstation side of he house as well is going to be just as good if not better than a 18D straight outta the school house. I met and worked guys straight outta the school house and I can't say I'm too impressed.
Kid, you have been told what doctors and 18D use. Your disrespectful tone towards your superiors and those here (which I assure you, are your superiors) speaks largely as to your quality as a soldier. Previous remarks about you being a "medical sharpshooter" are right on.

If you have any qualms with what I have said to you, or need some NCOPD, I share post with you. When you get back, seek me out and I will help you understand why your attitude is UNSAT.

Quit running your mouth about an 18D wannabe. He probably has more medical experience than you will even have. If you don't want to do this the solution is simple: Go to SFAS! Also, if you talk about being "not impressed" with my cohorts again, It will be I, seeking you out instead of vice versa for some NCOPD. Capiche?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:24   #23
Warchief
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Also as far as going to selection I'd be more than willing to go if t weren't for having to learn my job all over again for a year, because I'm sry but a seasoned medic with deployment experience on not only the line but in the aidstation side of he house as well is going to be just as good if not better than a 18D straight outta the school house. I met and worked guys straight outta the school house and I can't say I'm too impressed.
I graduated from 300F1 in 1979. At this point, I feel comfortable in saying, I've forgotten more tramua treatment techniques and procedures than this "seasoned medic" has ever learned. 30+ years later, I'm still better trained, more experienced and decidely capable than any basic skilled medic.

You know, "Doc" one of the first principles I learned was, "First, Do No Harm." That meant I spent a great deal of my time seeking and heeding knowledge whenever available. I'm known some really capable medics in my time but I'd take even a partial school trained 18D over any of them or you any time or any where to treat me or someone I care about. I know and trust their capability and competence while distrusting your arrogance and need to demonstrate how much you think you know to everyone else.

BTW, I doubt you'd have to spend a year learning your job all over again. I don't think you'd make it thru 3 complete weeks of S&A with your sorry attitude and inability to listen.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:30   #24
MTN Medic
Quiet Professional

Quote:
than willing to go if t weren't for having to learn my job all over again for a year, because I'm sry but a seasoned medic with deployment experience on not only the line but in the aidstation side of he house as well is going to be just as good if not better than a 18D straight outta the school house. I met and worked guys straight outta the school house and I can't say I'm too impressed.
Boy, I really hope you are kidding. I just know if I found out who your COC/COR was, they would be happy to regale me with stories of the one upper, braggart, loner and generally piss poor soldier.

Don't you ever talk about my fellow 18D again this way. It is clear you have no idea what you are talking about. You wouldn't last an hour in selections or a day in a team room.

Have you been to selections? Have you been to JSOMTC? No? The keep your mouth shut. My previous offer from my last post still stands.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:11   #25
Sonic03svtCobra
Quiet Professional

WoW

Hit him with the BANNED stick.
Old 07-13-2011, 15:35   #26
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Doc Robalt - You really are full of yourself and you really have no idea what you are talking about do you? I doubt seriously you have any idea what an 18D is trained in or what are all his quals. I hope that you learn, but I seriously doubt you will learn anything, but I am sure you are great at shifting blame for your short comings.

Have a nice day and see if the "18D wannabe" may possibly teach you something, you need as much help as you can get.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
Old 07-13-2011, 17:17   #27
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Stay safe.
Hey Doc in case you couldn't read Guys post let me help you.........

Unless they put the TQ around their patient's neck, they aren't going to kill someone by "incorrect" placement. The book isn't wrong YOU ARE..........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
Old 07-13-2011, 17:58   #28
gits
Quiet Professional

And one more thing WTF!!! Why post stuff your selling in "The Cache" if you don't respond to PM's!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 18:00   #29
PSM
Area Commander

Damn, I need earplugs in this thread.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 07-13-2011, 18:18   #30
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Doc-Rabalt hope you are still able to read this and have not been sent packing or just gave up because the heat was turned up in a kitchen of your choosing.

Some 23-years ago I wanted to be an SF Weapons Sgt (for reasons not important to this discussion.) After selection they saw more potential and requested that I change to an SF Commo Sgt...guess I had something called "aptitude." I replied back with I'm not really interested in that MOS (no practical use outside SF), can I become an SF Medical Sgt? Their reply was..."So you wanna be an 18D, you've got the scores and motivation, sure we'll send you down there (Ft Sam) but if you fail...commo school is back here and you'll be a recycle so no more chances to fail again."

Guess I had something else called, "fortitude."

I successfully completed the 91A/91B before heading into 300F1 (SOFMED) course and I don't remember ever having to relearn something from those two other schools. In fact, nothing about 300F1 comes from the Army enlisted medical program. If you were a PA or MD I could see your conundrum but you are not...

Something else I learned down there was humility and humbleness, I also came away with a capability very few other enlisted folks will ever know in life. I have forgotten more about how to save a life under fire or extreme duress than most people will ever learn, but there is this etched in my mind. "Do no further harm, but do something."

If you are attempting to put a tourniquet on yourself so tight as to completely cut off circulation for no other reason to see how it works you have failed rule number one...do no further harm. The tissue under a properly applied TQ is permanently crushed - soft tissue fills in around hard tissue (bones) and blood clotting will take care of the rest that's how it works. Placement is secondary only to survivable tissue proximal to the wound - too close to the end and they fall (squeeze) off, or are ineffective at stopping blood flow. About the only known contraindication is never place a TQ over a joint because of inadequate compression of arterial passage. While the best is certainly over/around large round bones, applying a TQ to the thigh of a comrade who's lost a foot below the ankle will certainly remember you for having his knee amputated down the road.

Signed, 18D wanna be, but I are graduate. It wouldn't have made a difference if I did not make it to the end or not, I was there for the training along the way. Give that "civilian trainer" a bit more respect, he might make a medic out of you someday...maybe you could ask him at what point he failed because we don't pass people on the last day if they are not capable of operating independent sans MD on the battlefield or remote location with nothing more than a sharp knife, a Leatherman and some dental floss.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Closed Thread