Old 11-28-2011, 19:46   #1
tylerbethea
Asset

Kuwait

I know that I said I would not post anymore until I won my Beret, but those plans have been postponed for at leas a year due to an upcoming deployment. I am posting here to see if any of you guys have any information about Kuwait? They don't tell us much, and I was hoping to glean some information (without violating OPSEC) from some of you 5th Group QP's if you'd take the time to share with me.

Thanks,

TB
Old 11-28-2011, 19:57   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerbethea View Post
I know that I said I would not post anymore until I won my Beret, but those plans have been postponed for at leas a year due to an upcoming deployment. I am posting here to see if any of you guys have any information about Kuwait? They don't tell us much, and I was hoping to glean some information (without violating OPSEC) from some of you 5th Group QP's if you'd take the time to share with me.

Thanks,

TB
It is in the Middle East, between Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 20:15   #3
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
It is in the Middle East, between Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

TR
Do not forget that there is not a Hooters and they have a lot of sand....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 20:35   #4
tylerbethea
Asset

Roger that......I googled the "camp" that I HEARD that we'll be at, and it didn't have alot of information, but it did say that there were 3 olympic size swimming pools, several huge gyms, and quite a few fast food chains. Really going to have to maintain some discipline on myself. Other than that, I know nothing. Thanks for the heads-up on the sand though

TB
Old 11-28-2011, 20:54   #5
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Now go back to your original pledge...I can't believe you posted this question...

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 23:34   #6
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Thanks,

TB
Request to stay at Ali al Salem. There is all kinds of fun stuff to do there, and many sights to see.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 21:16   #7
Mills
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Request to stay at Ali al Salem. There is all kinds of fun stuff to do there, and many sights to see.
I second that. There will never be a dull moment, and there is always a wonderful aroma in the air.......especially during those gorgeous summer nights with low humidity.
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:51   #8
Pete
Quiet Professional

The Mall downtown

I always liked to go to the Mall in the big building downtown. They had a Pizza Hut that had pretty good Pizza. Had more than a few Burgers at the Fudruckers (?) out by the beach.

Beware the tire boot.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:15   #9
wmaousley
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I always liked to go to the Mall in the big building downtown. They had a Pizza Hut that had pretty good Pizza. Had more than a few Burgers at the Fudruckers (?) out by the beach.

Beware the tire boot.

I have lived in Kuwait going on 6 years now so if you need anything let me know, Someone mentioned for you to request to stay at Ali AL Salem, DOnt do it. Request for Arifjan, has more facilities with garrisson barracks for the soldiers stationed there, LSA, ALi AL Salem, Virginia & Bheuring soldiers live either in trailers or tents.

Let me know when you come and I will PM you my cell number.

Mr. Pete, its with a heavy heart that I must tell you our beloved Fuddruckers on gulf road closed last year and is now a Lebanese Restaurant.
wmaousley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 19:29   #10
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
I have lived in Kuwait going on 6 years now so if you need anything let me know, Someone mentioned for you to request to stay at Ali AL Salem, DOnt do it.
Do It! You'll never look back!
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 00:03   #11
wmaousley
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Do It! You'll never look back!
lol he is right, after a year @ Ali Al Salem you will never look back because you will remember how miserable that place made you.
Old 12-06-2011, 20:59   #12
SpikedBuck
Legacy

Advice

Quote:

Thanks,

TB
TB: Regardless of the generalized attitude about Kuwait, you must still remain vigilant...we are way too complacent there and I have seen it first hand very recently. It is an easy place to get into trouble very quickly. Get with your S2 for updated threat brief.

Here are a few simple tips from my foxhole:
(1) speed kills...one of the worst driving locations I have ever been with some of the fastest speeds I've seen on the roads...usually vehicle accidents are catastrophic
(2) trash everywhere...don't pick it up especially if you are off reservation
(3) buddy teams at all times...
(4) hydrate...bottled water there has plenty of sodium so be careful and watch your sodium intake
(5) If you are going anywhere other than Arifjan or AAS, make sure you pack accordingly (don't assume it will be there at the big PX, because it won't be)

Kuwait is a melting pot of cultures...similar to many Middle Eastern countries...most of the locals (if any) you may encounter will most likely not be Kuwaitis. Most of the labor force is third country worker/sub-contract worker from all over the world. Makes for language prep/culture prep slightly more challenging. Kuwait is more Westernized than Iraq or Qatar...but not as relaxed as UAE or Baharain.

If you want to read about Kuwait, there are lots of resources available...a great unclassified resource is the Center for Army Lessons Learned website.

Hope this helps.
SpikedBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 00:13   #13
wmaousley
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikedBuck View Post
TB: Regardless of the generalized attitude about Kuwait, you must still remain vigilant...we are way too complacent there and I have seen it first hand very recently. It is an easy place to get into trouble very quickly. Get with your S2 for updated threat brief.

Here are a few simple tips from my foxhole:
(1) speed kills...one of the worst driving locations I have ever been with some of the fastest speeds I've seen on the roads...usually vehicle accidents are catastrophic
(2) trash everywhere...don't pick it up especially if you are off reservation
(3) buddy teams at all times...
(4) hydrate...bottled water there has plenty of sodium so be careful and watch your sodium intake
(5) If you are going anywhere other than Arifjan or AAS, make sure you pack accordingly (don't assume it will be there at the big PX, because it won't be)

Kuwait is a melting pot of cultures...similar to many Middle Eastern countries...most of the locals (if any) you may encounter will most likely not be Kuwaitis. Most of the labor force is third country worker/sub-contract worker from all over the world. Makes for language prep/culture prep slightly more challenging. Kuwait is more Westernized than Iraq or Qatar...but not as relaxed as UAE or Baharain.

If you want to read about Kuwait, there are lots of resources available...a great unclassified resource is the Center for Army Lessons Learned website.

Hope this helps.
I have to agree 100% with this post, as SB said speed kills, literally we have 2 highways that run north/south HWY 30 King Fahad & HWY 40 Maghreb. These are known as death highways in Kuwait. Daily people are killed on these roads due to SPEED. I drive on them daily and see fresh cars completely demolished as if a SABO round impacted it.

Always remain vigiliant no matter where you are and as said never pick-up something you didnt put down, Now Kuwait is seeing political unrest with the recent storming of the parliment building citizens are increasingly becoming agitated.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:16   #14
tylerbethea
Asset

Thank you, Sir, for the advice. This being my first deployment, I've got dozens of questions, but I've been reading alot and believe that's what I need to keep doing. I appreciate all the help and advice from everyone.

TB
Old 12-07-2011, 08:37   #15
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
Mr. Pete, its with a heavy heart that I must tell you our beloved Fuddruckers on gulf road closed last year and is now a Lebanese Restaurant.
What about the Hard Rock?
(I got the tee shirt!)
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote