Old 07-30-2004, 08:00   #1
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Question Modern SF Commo

Folks, I understand that the "XMTR in a cigar box" and the RS-1 are no longer standard equipment. Y'all pick my feeble mind for info but I would also like to learn something about the present day digital commo in use today.

Thirty years I said that in the future SF would carry hand-held radios which communicated via sattelite and could communicate directly to the SFOB and higher. Apparently those days are upon us. How about some of you current 18Es contributing??

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 18:40   #2
ghuinness

Please excuse my intrusion to this forum.

I can't comment about the devices currently in use, but I can speculate about where I think they are going. I think 4G technology will be used extensively within 18 months.

The devices/networks will support the convergence of 3G and 4G technologies.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/
http://www.80216news.com/

Just my .02

Last edited by ghuinness; 08-06-2004 at 18:43.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:06   #3
Para
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by ghuinness
Please excuse my intrusion to this forum.

I can't comment about the devices currently in use, but I can speculate about where I think they are going. I think 4G technology will be used extensively within 18 months.

The devices/networks will support the convergence of 3G and 4G technologies.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/
http://www.80216news.com/

Just my .02
Can you dumb this down for me? How could I use this technology in operational areas such as Afghanistan, Iraq, the Sahel region of Africa or in potential countries that are hostile and denied areas?
We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land, and air with all our might and all our strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, What is our aim? I answer in one word: Victory Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Winston Churchill
Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:37   #4
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally posted by Para
Can you dumb this down for me? How could I use this technology in operational areas such as Afghanistan, Iraq, the Sahel region of Africa or in potential countries that are hostile and denied areas?
Until the infrastructure is in place you can't. Even after the infrastructure is in place you'd have to consider the technology suspect/unreliable in an operational area, that is, if it survives any air strikes involved. But take it one step further and put satellites in the mix for data transmission, which has been used on the civilian side already with limited success/reliability, and it's a whole new ballgame, and this is probably a good place for me to stop.

A note about OPSEC here: So far everything stated is available from multiple public sources.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime

Last edited by Kyobanim; 08-07-2004 at 06:39.
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:42   #5
CommoGeek
Guerrilla

With satellites it isn't a bad idea, but you'll always have PACE to bear in mind.

As for today's stuff? I don't know what I could say about the HF side. Open source info is a bit vague (or was a few months ago when I looked for it) and rightfully so. Satellite has changed some in the last decade, but the differences are in software and capabilities, not hardware. By that I mean the size/ weight has decreased little; the capabilites are night and day however.

I'm sure there's better stuff out there, but the best piece of gear I made commo with was a VDC-400, www.viasat.com. I liked the ability to send any file, anywhere over any secure means at my disposal.
CommoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:55   #6
Kyobanim

We need a good science fiction writer here.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 09:19   #7
Para
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by CommoGeek
I'm sure there's better stuff out there, but the best piece of gear I made commo with was a VDC-400, www.viasat.com. I liked the ability to send any file, anywhere over any secure means at my disposal.
That's about the extent of my limited experiences, too. You should have seen the face of the Commo NCO at the Base Station when he realized the capabilities of what I was asking when I asked for dedicated ftp server space to upload files that could be useful without breaching OPSEC during Sage. He had never thought of it and I gather it had never been asked for.
We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land, and air with all our might and all our strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, What is our aim? I answer in one word: Victory Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Winston Churchill
Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 09:27   #8
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyobanim
We need a good science fiction writer here.
Some of the things presently used were Sci Fi in my day.

misery is optional.

Old 08-07-2004, 10:24   #9
ghuinness

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyobanim
But take it one step further and put satellites in the mix for data transmission, which has been used on the civilian side already with limited success/reliability, and it's a whole new ballgame, and this is probably a good place for me to stop.

A note about OPSEC here: So far everything stated is available from multiple public sources.
True.
I wouldn't call it limited success. Works damn well

Just to add: Smart Antennas are also coming of age:
link

Last edited by ghuinness; 08-07-2004 at 10:33.
Old 08-07-2004, 14:57   #10
CommoGeek
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Para
That's about the extent of my limited experiences, too. You should have seen the face of the Commo NCO at the Base Station when he realized the capabilities of what I was asking when I asked for dedicated ftp server space to upload files that could be useful without breaching OPSEC during Sage. He had never thought of it and I gather it had never been asked for.
Two quick notes:
1) 7th Grp has a "Battlestar Galactica" C4I set up for their FOB. This was 5 or so years ago so I'd think it is standard to an extent: multiple widescreens and projection screens with all of the necessary data for an OPCEN to do their jobs. Neat stuff....

2) At JRTC in 98 I used two AOL accounts to traffic from the FOB to an ODB for two days (Damn you, OC's! ). Our SOCA was broke so I improvised. I recived a 1 for initiative and a 5 for judgement, but it caused everyone to rethink our PACE and equipment. We were better prepared the next time as a result.
CommoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 15:50   #11
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

AN/PRC-117F

http://www.rfcomm.harris.com/product...ommunications/

This link will cover the AN/PRC-117F.

BMT
Old 08-07-2004, 15:54   #12
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

AN/PRC-148

http://www2.racalcomm.com/details.asp?item_id=1

This link is for the AN/PRC-148.

BMT
Old 08-07-2004, 16:04   #13
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

Thanks BMT and Y'all. Noe I'm starting to get some current info.

BTW: Anyone know where I get an AN/GRC-26D or GRC-41 cheap? I figure I can install the set in my backyard and hook up to commercial power. Then add A/C a cot and my pooter. Then I'll have someplace to go when I'm en la casa del pero!

misery is optional.

Old 01-20-2006, 14:08   #14
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT
http://www.rfcomm.harris.com/product...ommunications/

This link will cover the AN/PRC-117F.

BMT

Most Teams are using the AN/PSC 5D

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...n+psc+5d&hl=en

Some teams have the 117 but those are special...................

Personally I will take the 117 any day and twice on sunday!!!!!!!!!!!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 14:38   #15
VelociMorte
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWire
Some teams have the 117 but those are special...................

Just out of curiosity, why don't all the teams have them? Do all the teams want them, or are they more comfortable with what they have?
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." John Stuart Mill
VelociMorte is offline   Reply With Quote