Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 11-28-2005, 22:16   #1
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Question Concealed Carry Holster

Greetings All...

Recent events at the Tacoma Mall (right up the road) have tipped the scales for our getting WA State CCW permits. We have both been trained...previously carried other weapons in other states...but now we have new ones and holster technology has changed.

Currently I am going to carry a S&W .40. Looking for suggestions on a paddle (preferred) or high carry belt.

"Ms. Smith" will be carrying her (hydroshock loaded) .380 until we bump her up to a higher caliber that she finds comfortable to shoot.

I am not looking for a fag bag style carry platform. Uncle Mike's "clip suede" holsters have performed poorly for us both in the past when it came right down to it.

There are lots of Fobos paddles on e-bay for about $30...looking for suggestions.

Thanks everyone

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 22:20   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You are in luck.

I use the MSP paddle holster from one of your neighbors.

Kramer Handgun Leather over in Tacoma can hook you up.

Pricey, but worth it. Go with the horsehide. Mine is almost 10 years old and gets used almost every day. Other than some scuffs I put on it, it still looks fine.

They make a nice gun belt, too.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 22:41   #3
jatx
Area Commander

I like the FIST paddle holster. It is kydex sanwiched between layers of leather (for which they offer a million finishes). Tension is easily adjusted. The paddle is well-padded and super comfy. Check it out.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 22:51   #4
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Horsehide has quite a reputation for durability. Don't dismiss that.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 22:54   #5
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I'm not a big fan of paddle holsters, I've had (and seen) some bad experiences with them. They wouldn't stay put with strenuous exercise - though that's probably not an issue for me any more. That and it's embarrassing to draw your holstered gun. I use Galco IWB's (Royal Guard for the .45s - TR's horsehide comment is a good recommendation) for concealment. The belt loops w/snaps are very secure and they're still relatively convenient to take on and off. Good luck finding the perfect piece - my holster collection is starting to look like the wife's shoe/purse collection. My .02 - Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 23:57   #6
18C4V
Quiet Professional

I don't like paddles either. I couldn't run with it and it came out too easily (gun and holster). When I work plain clothes and off duty I use a Galco combat master or a Galco SOB holster. Like Peregrino said "good luck" my holster collection looks like my boot collection.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 00:34   #7
GackMan
Guerrilla

Paddle holsters seem ok for a trip to the store, but wearing them all day getting sweaty, etc. just never worked for me. I've seen people try to use them at the range and I've seen them draw the whole shee-bang out of their pants.

I have a video of a Fobus paddle holster being broken in half with little effort in a gun-grab scenario. I'm on the road right now, but I have it at home - I can e-mail it to you if you want to see it, I'd rather not post it on an open forum. But just don't get a fobus.

Spend the extra $20 and bump your holster budget up to the $50-60 range. You'll thank yourself later.

Have you tried IWB? concealed = concealed you know

I have had great luck with blade-tech... yeah yeah, I'm bucking the leather crowd and going with Kydex. I have a couple Galco IWBs and they have been great as well, Galco is probably your best bet for the .380.

What model of Smith is it?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:13   #8
Cincinnatus
Guerrilla

Another vote for Kramer. I don't have any experience with his paddles, but I've worn a Kramer IWB (his #3) for years and it's performed and held up great.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:59   #9
uboat509
Quiet Professional

I have been on the odd mission that required me to carry concealed and unfortunately my bodyshape runs to the thin (some might say scrawny but that is just rude) and I have found that concealing an M9 is problematic at best. The solution that I found was little item called Thunderwear. If you have never seen it, it is simply a pouch that you wear under your pants that puts the gun over your crotch. It works really well unless you are wearing really tight pants and it has the added advantage that most guys will not find it on a pat down unless they specifically check that area.

SFC W
uboat509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:15   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Ditto on the Kramer. I own the "Inside The Waistband #3 (only for Semi-autos) Horsehide". It sure make a full size USP .45 sit nice and close.....

The only thing I needed to do was purchase my pants one size bigger....

This holster is the "nice" in the saying "buy nice or buy twice".

TS
Old 11-29-2005, 09:44   #11
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Eagle,
If I may .....dump the hydroshoks....get gold dots or if made SXT in .380
If you search on the .45 carry thread I posted a pic of the relatively poor expansion of hydroshok, i.e., permanent cavity is smaller than the other ammo listed....now you will of course excuse me if Mrs. Smith can put each round into the brainstem without trying......
Bigger channel, better chance of hitting something that bleeds really fast....I'll repost the pic in a few minutes.
ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:53   #12
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

this thread may end up split and moved to the ammo area...oh well.
Here is a pic of expanded (in humans) bullets. All 9mm except the .40 cal black talon on the right and in the lower right corner...all of the rest are 9mm.
upper left: golden saber, lower left cor bon +p
upper right gold dot, lower right .40 SXT
middle upper: talon recovered from vest,
miidle lower hydroshok: expanded but not much wider than pre-fired bullet and this is typical for these...also higher rate of non-expansion in my experience.
ss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recovered bullets 3a.JPG (23.7 KB, 233 views)
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:04   #13
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up Excellent thread fellas

Thank you everyone for the great information..exactly the type of stuff I was looking for.
Glad to hear all the reviews of paddles as I had never owned one. I am also now leaning back towards leather. Kydex looks cool, but leather does indeed last forever.

SS-
As I said before...been awhile since I have been involved in round / carry technology. In Hawaii the gun laws were ridiculous and not worth getting involved in for the petty crime that was ramapnt there. Very little "vs person" ..more vehicle larceny, hate crimes vs the gay population, and petty theft from beach tourists.
Much obliged on the round information...obviously not wanting Ms. Smith to be carrying straight jackets in her cricket...more expansion the better. I will certainly invest in some of the rounds you suggested.
This was recently demonstrated quite well with a local on my trauma table-him and his 5 9mm rounds in various parts of his anatomy, and still pissed off enough to need to be handcuffed to the gurney.

Gackman-
Mod 99 with 4in barrel

Thanks again guys...if there is more to contribute-please do not hold back.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Last edited by Eagle5US; 11-29-2005 at 12:10.
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:15   #14
jatx
Area Commander

Well, if you are leaning towards an IWB model for yourself, you might look into a Sparks VM2. They carry your weapon very low and do a great job of spreading out the weight. Much better than the numerous Summer Special variants out there, IMHO, which will require a reinforced gun belt to really be comfortable. They are available in horsehide per others' recommendation and can usually be found used for a reasonable price (and no wait) on the various forums. I carried a USP Compact .45 in one for awhile, and even used the tuck-over clips to good effect a few times.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 13:39   #15
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
You are in luck.

I use the MSP paddle holster from one of your neighbors.

Kramer Handgun Leather over in Tacoma can hook you up.

Pricey, but worth it. Go with the horsehide. Mine is almost 10 years old and gets used almost every day. Other than some scuffs I put on it, it still looks fine.

They make a nice gun belt, too.

TR
I have a three of Kramer holsters and a belt from them as well. They are all VERY well made. (Not horse hide.) I do not have a paddle holster from them; however, if I was in the market for one I'd most likely buy it from Kramer. The one that I use the most is a pocket holster for my little 5 shot S&W 442 .38. The reason for this is its ease of use and convenience... just slip it in your pocket and leave. It is also handy when your dressed up...suit, etc. Or as a back-up for your primary weapon.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote