Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 04-04-2014, 09:31   #16
Tango three
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
It's only "corruption" if the politician's position on a subject is changed by it. How is giving money, for whatever reason, to a politician who's position you agree with corrupting that person or the system?

Pat
Calls to mind the politician in Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.
You never knew what his position was until he knew which way the wind blew the votes. Update to today and add which way the wind blew the money.
A sad day for democrats, republicans and everyone else. 5-4 decision, we can hope.
Tango three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:50   #17
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I live in NC.

The state legislature was controlled by Dims for more than 100 years, despite the repeated election of extremely conservative Republican Senators.

Trust me, if the Legislature appointed Senators, we would have been more than 100 years without seeing a single Republican appointed Senator.

TR
But, since the people did elect conservative Senators that would seem to indicate that they wanted conservative Senators representing North Carolina. If the state legislature did not appoint them then perhaps the voters would take more interest in who they sent to the state legislature in the first place.

Then again:

Quote:
Hundreds of cases of potential voter fraud uncovered in North Carolina

Published April 03, 2014FoxNews.com

State elections officials in North Carolina are investigating hundreds of cases of potential voter fraud after identifying thousands of registered voters with personal information matching those of voters who voted in other states in 2012.

Elections Director Kim Strach told state lawmakers at an oversight hearing Wednesday that her staff has identified 765 registered North Carolina voters who appear to have cast ballots in two states during the 2012 presidential election.

Strach said the first names, last names, birthdates and last four digits of their Social Security numbers appear to match information for voters in another state. Each case will now be investigated to determine whether voter fraud occurred.

"Could it be voter fraud? Sure, it could be voter fraud," Strach said. "Could it be an error on the part of a precinct person choosing the wrong person's name in the first place? It could be. We're looking at each of these individual cases."

WRAL.com reported that 81 residents who died before election day were recorded as casting a ballot. While about 30 of those voters appear to have legally cast ballots before election day, Strach said "there are between 40 and 50 [voters] who had died at a time that that's not possible."

"We have the 'Walking Dead,' and now we've got the 'Voting Dead,'" said state Sen. Bob Rucho, R-Mecklenburg. "I guess the reason there's no proof of voter fraud is because we weren't looking for it."

Strach cautioned, however, that in several past cases, instances of so-called zombie voters turned out to be the result of clerical errors.

"We're in the process of looking at each of these to see," Strach said. "That means either a poll or precinct worker made a mistake and marked the wrong person, or someone voted for them. That's something we can't determine until we look into each case."

A law passed last year by the Republican-dominated state legislature required elections staff to check information for North Carolina's more than 6.5 million voters against a database containing information for 101 million voters in 28 states.

The cross-check found listings for 35,570 North Carolina voters whose first names, last names and dates of birth match those of voters who voted in other states. However, in those cases middle names and Social Security numbers were not matched.

The analysis also found 155,692 registered North Carolina voters whose information matched voters registered in other states but who most recently registered or voted elsewhere. Strach said those were most likely voters who moved out of state without notifying their local boards of elections.

Republicans leaders immediately touted the preliminary report as evidence they were justified in approving sweeping elections changes last year that include requiring voters to present photo ID at the polls, cutting days from the period for early voting and ending a popular civics program that encouraged high school students to pre-register to vote in advance of their 18th birthdays.

“That is outrageous. That is criminal. That is wrong, and it shouldn’t be allowed to go any further without substantial investigations from our local district attorneys who are the ones charged with enforcing these laws,” state Sen. Thom Goolsby, R-Wilmington, told the Charlotte Observer.

State House Speaker Thom Tillis, R-Mecklenburg, and Senate Leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham, issued a joint statement Wednesday on what they termed as the "alarming evidence."

"While we are alarmed to hear evidence of widespread voter error and fraud, we are encouraged to see the common-sense law passed to ensure voters are who they say they are is working," said the statement. "These findings should put to rest ill-informed claims that problems don't exist and help restore the integrity of our elections process."

However, other states using the cross-check system have yielded relatively few criminal prosecutions for voter fraud once the cases were thoroughly investigated.

Only 11 people were prosecuted on allegations of double-voting as a result of the 15 states that performed similar database checks following the 2010 elections, according to data compiled by elections officials in Kansas, where the cross-check program originated.

Bob Hall, director of the non-profit group Democracy North Carolina, cautioned officials not to jump to conclusions based on the preliminary database check.

"I know there is more than one Bob Hall with my birth date who lives among the 28 states researched," Hall said. "There may be cases of fraud, but the true scale and conspiracy involved need to be examined more closely before those with political agendas claim they've proven guilt beyond a reasonable doubt."

Voting rights advocate Bob Phillips of Common Cause NC told WRAL.com that while he is concerned about the report, it still doesn't justify requiring voters to present photo ID at the polls.

"I think a lot of [lawmakers] are saying, 'Aha, this proves what we did,'" Phillips said. "But if I have an ID, how is that going to stop me from voting in North Carolina if I've already voted in Florida?"

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

link: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...orth-carolina/
Money that corrupts the system doesn't have to go to just the politicians.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:03   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
But, since the people did elect conservative Senators that would seem to indicate that they wanted conservative Senators representing North Carolina. If the state legislature did not appoint them then perhaps the voters would take more interest in who they sent to the state legislature in the first place.

Then again:

Money that corrupts the system doesn't have to go to just the politicians.

Pat
Pat:

Sorry, but letting politicians pick my politicians seems even more distasteful to me than directly electing them.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:29   #19
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I understand your position, also, as I used to share it. But, I've learned a bit more over the years. Money in campaigns of congressional elections (both chambers) should not be so important, but it is because of the direct election of senators and the overly large congressional districts.

If senators (following a repeal of the 17th Amendment) were appointed by the state's legislatures, there would be no need for them to fund raise to get elected. And, if the congressional districts were reduced to the original 20 to 30 thousand citizens money would not be as important or influential.

Also, simplifying the tax code would eliminate the tax incentive legislation that money can buy.

Pat
BINGO!!!

I see this ruling as further empowering the permanent and privileged political class. We the people (voters) are no longer important or at least have diminished importance in the electoral process. The candidates are pre-chosen from the political class and all we do is elect/choose among the pre-selected chosen few. Political party doesn't even matter, or it matters little.

So, other than the fact that we don't speak Chinese, tell me again how our system is any different than China's?
Old 04-08-2014, 07:31   #20
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
BINGO!!!

I see this ruling as further empowering the permanent and privileged political class. We the people (voters) are no longer important or at least have diminished importance in the electoral process. The candidates are pre-chosen from the political class and all we do is elect/choose among the pre-selected chosen few. Political party doesn't even matter, or it matters little.

So, other than the fact that we don't speak Chinese, tell me again how our system is any different than China's?
The author to this article explains the liberty aspects of this decision much better than I can. Pretty interesting short take.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/col...erg040814.php3

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:55   #21
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
The author to this article explains the liberty aspects of this decision much better than I can. Pretty interesting short take.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/col...erg040814.php3
Interesting indeed. Where the author and I agree that the objective is to return power to the people, we disagree as to the impact of the SCOTUS ruling. I see this as merely increasing the power and influence of well monied PACs and Super PACs on election outcomes and in particular the election of Senators and Presidents.

I think the election of Bill Clinton was a bell-weather and serves to make my point. For the first time in modern American presidential politics a presidential candidate with no other marketable skill other than the ability to get elected won the presidency. IMO his election validated "politician" as a career choice and was a clear demarcation in the emergence of a permanent political class (more celebrity than statesman).

My cynical view (I admit it) is that we (the people) only choose among the candidates with celebrity-like appeal that have been vetted by the Koch Brothers or George Soros (an oversimplification to make a point). That's a faux choice, IMO.

Because of the 17th A, this power also extends to the election of Senators and the erosion of the representation and power of the States. [I admit that was probably not the intention of the 17th, but it is a 2nd/3rd order effect nonetheless.]

The counterpoint to TR's comment: I have much more influence over my elected State representative than I do over George Soros or the Koch Brothers. Furthermore, the PACs and SuperPACs have less influence on the candidates for my State legislature than they do over candidates for Senate. With a 17th A in place they do not need to influence state and local level politics to achieve their goals either. They can just concentrate their efforts where they are - presidential and senatorial politics.

On the other hand, if there were no 17th A, I would predict that the Senate would be under Republican control simply because the Red states out number the Blue states.

I also think that this, if not the root cause, is a contributing factor to the divisiveness and sense of disenfranchisement that is so pervasive. We the people "feel" that we are out of control, we sense it, and the angst is palpable. Well, that is because we are!

So that is why I keep asking, what is the real difference between the one-party system of China and our "two-party" system. Do we have a real choice when we enter the voting booth?
Old 04-08-2014, 18:42   #22
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Well, NEVERMIND! I just learned that PACs and SuperPACs are more involved in local politics than I ever realized. Don't particularly like it and don't particularly like the 17th A. But that's political reality - like it or not.

So if we are voting with our wallets, as a surrogate for 'free speech', the SCOTUS ruling is exactly correct, IMO. And I understand and agree with the opinion expressed in Craigpo's Jewish World Review post.

The thing that bothers me is that in the era of PACs/SuperPACs it just seems that this leads to a system where the votes of each citizen are no longer equal - George Soros's multiplies his vote multi-fold as compared to mine. I don't think that's what our Founders had in mind. JMO

Last edited by Trapper John; 04-08-2014 at 19:46. Reason: grammar
Trapper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 18:45   #23
ddoering
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Well, NEVERMIND! I just learned that PACs and SuperPACs are more involved in local politics than I ever realized. Don't particularly like it and don't particularly like the 17th A. But that's political reality - like it or not.

So if we are voting with our wallets, as a surrogate for 'free speech', the SCOTUS ruling is exactly correct, IMO. And I understand and agree with the opinion expressed in Craigpo's Jewish World Review post.

The thing that bothers me is that in the era of PACs/SuperPACs it just seems that this leads to a system where the votes of each citizen are no longer equal - George Soros's multiplies his vote multi-fold as compared to mine. I don't think that what our Founders had in mind. JMO
I concur. If money equals free speech I would say his speech counts for more.
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:18   #24
Box
Quiet Professional

I just wish I could afford as much free speech as others can.

...maybe the POTUS s right and we DO need some social justice and income equality. If we all got paid the same we could all afford the same amount of free speech.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:05   #25
ddoering
Quiet Professional

Yeah but I would just waste it on cuss words....
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:05   #26
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

The next step will be allowing political donations from other countries. The one judges justification was along the lines of, it's just the way the system works and if you don't like it fight for change. Might get what he is asking for.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:28   #27
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
The next step will be allowing political donations from other countries. The one judges justification was along the lines of, it's just the way the system works and if you don't like it fight for change. Might get what he is asking for.
I'm with you on that one Bro.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:44   #28
Snaquebite
Area Commander

From another forum:

Quote:
Gun Owners of America states that all gun owners won a huge victory before the US Supreme Court last week. The McCutcheon decision was a victory bc SCOTUS struck down Congress' contribution limits a person can give to a candidate.

This means that gun owners can support pro-2nd amendment candidates without limitation financially.

As Justice John Roberts on page 3 of the McCutcheon decision stated which came from the GOA amicus brief. "And those who govern should be the last people to help decide who should govern".

In addition, Idaho became the latest state to nullify Obama's gun control agenda. The new law as passed by 12 other states as well, bars Idaho officials from enforcing federal gun control laws and the law will penalize officers who give such orders. Alaska and Kansas passed their own nullification bills last year.

Anti-gun former Mayor of NYC, Michael Bloomberg has come up empty in New Hampshire as well. He is spending millions of his own money all over the country to try and get states to expand background checks t prevent more and more law abiding citizens from owning guns.

In New Hampshire, Senate Bill 244 was introduced with this end in mind by an anti-gun democrat. This ban could have banned police and firemen with PTS or seniors with Alzheimers from owning guns, many of whom have large and valuable gun collections they would like to pass onto their children.

GOA worked with the New Hampshire Firearms Coalition to get the onerous provisions stripped out of the bill. After a long hard battle, the New Hampshire State Senate stripped out those provisions and every word about gun control.

Finally, the 80 year old man (Otis McDonald) who brought down Chicago's gun control ban in the US S. Court case of McDonald vs. Chicago in 2010 died April 4, 2014 after a long illness. He was a gracious Christian gentleman who loved his family and wanted nothing more than to keep them safe.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:54   #29
Richard
Quiet Professional

So, if one reviews the history of American politics and political spending, have things really changed as much as we'd like to believe over the last two centuries, or are they continuing along pretty much as they always have in regards to the purchasing of access and the forming of public opinion?

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote