Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 03-10-2011, 11:35   #91
BrokenSwitch
Guerrilla

1. Yes, came up from Tiger Cubs in 1996 and stuck with it ever since.

2. Eagle, 2 palms.

In my extremely limited military experience, it kept me squared away during LANDNAV, basic first aid (not to be confused with CLS), all things involving rope, how to properly pack a ruck, and how to stay comfortable and motivated at FTX. Possibly the best and worst thing Scouting did for me is that I can sleep almost anywhere (haven't tried sleeping in formation yet...).

In civilian life?
How to dress for the weather, stay dry in the rain (Feet! Never forget your feet!), and improvisation. The skits and camp songs were definitely confidence boosters when I find myself addressing a group. Also: fire!

4. Still a civilian...

5. I have worked at Broad Creek for the 5 of the last 6 summers as an instructor at Camp Saffran's Conservation/Ecology Lodge. This summer, I have been hired as the Shooting Sports director.

Last edited by BrokenSwitch; 03-10-2011 at 13:06.
BrokenSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 14:28   #92
Shadow1911
Asset

Yes I was in Scouts
Eagle, Order of the Arrow Vigil. Never knew there were so many Eagles in SF
Taught direction and discipline. How to be comfortable in stead of just surviving.
Great intro to leadership.
"Unless you do your best, the day will come when, tired and hungry, you will halt just short of the goal you were ordered to reach, and by halting you will make useless the efforts and deaths of thousands." - Gen. George S. Patton
Shadow1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:58   #93
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

I did the whole Cub Scout deal, then Boy Scouts. Didn't quite make Eagle. Stopped at Life, then my attention was diverted to girls and other stuff. Order of the Arrow, Brotherhood. I really enjoyed that.

The whole experience gave me a good basic knowledge of outdoor skills and a foundation in Land Nav, all of which helped in SFQC.
Old 06-20-2011, 13:19   #94
45K40
Asset

1. Yes, 5 yrs, loved every minute of it.
2. 1st Class was highest rank.
3. Scout training taught me alot about fieldcraft and expediency. Our troop was Troop 49, Ft Monmouth, NJ. The scout hut was on post and we had many hand-me-downs donated/tranfered from the Army to help us (bivouac stuff, lots of Lister bags, tent pegs/poles). I don't think I ever missed a campout and my ruck was always chock-full of "just in case" stuff.
4. I was in the Scouts during Vietnam campaign era. All of our Scoutmasters and leadership were active Army or retired, all of them with combat experience. We hung on eagerly listening to their stories of "really" being in the field. Although I went Ordnance, a camporee at West Point really sealed my fate in joining up.
5. The Scouts and the Army have much in common when you look at the customs and courtesies, be prepared attitude, uniform, rank structure, and comraderie. Who could forget Snipe Hunts, Capture the Flag, Scout Juice (Coleman fuel to start your fire) Scrounge Missions, pioneering, and burning your grub over an open fire. Our squad usually acted tactical and we participated on many "black ops" and recon missions against other Troops. I would say that the Scouts probably account for 1/8-1/5 the enlistments in the military. I give regularly to the local county BSA, and you can too, thru CFC. BSA donations are also tax-exempt.
Old 08-11-2011, 14:21   #95
TimberWolf82
SF Candidate

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I, Send me."

Last edited by TimberWolf82; 01-18-2020 at 22:04.
TimberWolf82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:59   #96
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
5.... Any other comments about Scouts and the Military.
etc etc etc

I trust that many here will be able to appreciate the various take-aways of what follows. In the midst of all the "gimme" mentality and the pandering to it that fills our events these days I hope this can provide a brief contrast.

While filling in for someone as NCS on an HF net yesterday I got to make the acquaintance of a gentlemen who, initially providing some technical insight, ended up providing an inspiring tale that transcends the usual ham radio talk.

I'm not much of a "rag-chewer" on the radio but I stayed with this man after closing the net because he'd found a tuning solution for an old "boat-anchor" of an amp he resurrected from a research lab at the nearby university, destined for the scrap heap. He'd asked for a critical signal report, which I gave (after picking my headset off the floor). He stayed with me and gave some good relay help later to some weak mobile stations. 'Bout half of what he said was over my head but because I'm studying for the Extra exam I listened hard & kept mouth shut.

His tale started when, just a few hours from graduating HS in 1944 at the age of 17, he ran down to join the US Navy. ("Everybody was joining up, it's just what we did.")

"Well, I already had 'the code' from the Boy Scouts, so they gave me a test and sent me to radio school. I learned to do about 18 words a minute at first, and then found myself in a little 3x6-ft space on a submarine."

"Pretty soon I was copying [what they termed] 'Fox' traffic at 27 wpm; it was just 5-letter groups, and I'd type it up and give it to the communications officer because back then only officers had the maps and code books." I asked him if he'd copied on a mill and he said no, space was too precious on a sub and they just used the typical portable little typewriter of the era.

After the war he went to the university and studied electronics, and spent a long and profitable career in the broadcast engineering fields, retiring with his wife of many decades to enjoy the fruits of his labors and "a little cabin up north."

Too soon, he mentioned that "ahh, they're calling me to come upstairs now so I'd better sign off and grab some chow.

"But ya know, this country has been so good to me. I got to be scared out of my wits, see some really strange places, ya know after the war Uncle Sam even sent me to college? - can you imagine - a kid from Iowa?"

He gave a hearty laugh, 84 years young...

"...and all because I already 'had the code' from the Boy Scouts."

Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:51   #97
albeham
Quiet Professional

Badger52

That is what happen to me..but I did the SF thing..Subs and a tube of shit floating in the food chain....

I meet a lot in the HF band that are, were scouts.

My dad was in the nukes subs....glad I did not do that.

AL

QSL UR QSO
Old 10-28-2011, 06:59   #98
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeham View Post
I meet a lot in the HF band that are, were scouts.
Ditto, sir. Am blessed to have a couple of grand kids more interested in learning practical lessons they can carry through life than doing thumb-reps on their crackberries.
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:13   #99
lonetlan
Asset

I learned some stuff. Get to put it into practice...

Being in Boy Scouts made me a great leader, I feel as though I carry myself at a higher standard than some because the Scouts before me set good examples to live by. In stressful situations I'm able to keep a cool head and work my way through the problem. If I'm with people on a camping trip, I'm the one people count on... Pretty much it makes a regular Joe into a respectable regular Joe.

With that being written, I was the last "old generation" scout in my troop; I watched a 100% Boy run troop (we planned, packed, organized everything) be invaded and converted into a wussy parent run troop(parents way or no way). As I was going for my Eagle, the Leader's son O.D.'d; he than didn't hold his end of the deal so I had to do his work to try and get my Eagle. Long story short sadly, no one could turn out to make me an official Eagle Scout; all the way to the end(age cut off). Even when I wrote to request an extension so that I can have the last ceremony.

I'll take what I learned with me for the rest of my life... But I will always regret never becoming an Eagle Scout.

Edit: Relating to BSA/military...
You may have gotten a bad PL in BSA who you won't follow on a hiking trip, hes that bad PL you don't want to follow into battle.

Last edited by lonetlan; 11-02-2011 at 01:25. Reason: Oh yeah
lonetlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:19   #100
Warchief
Quiet Professional

Boy Scouts and how it has Helped you in the military

1. Were you ever in the Boy Scouts? Yes

2. Did you obtain Eagle or what was your highest rank. (I am sure that there are several other Eagles on the board)?
Yes with double Gold Palms, God and Country award, Order of the Arrow, Philmont, 50-miler, Mile Swim, Life Guard and Gold Quill Awards

3. How did your Scout training help you in your military life or your Civilian life.
I learned leadership, public speaking skills, fieldcraft, first aid, confidence and discipline during my time as a scout.

4. Did your Scout training guide you toward your decision to go SF.
Not really, I wanted to be either a Paratrooper, Ranger or Special Forces at almost the instant I learned about their existance. I was blessed in that I was able to achieve the honor and privilege of earning all three of these titles during my active service. Many of the things and skills I learned as a scout were applicable during SF training and service. The training and knowledge I received during my 6 years as a Boy Scout gave me a solid basis upon which to build a career in Special Forces.
Old 11-28-2011, 18:46   #101
tunanut
Guerrilla

1. Yes

2. Life, regretted not making eagle, but divorcing parents interviened. Order of the Arrow, mile swimmer

3. Yes, land nav, map reading, but most of all our range was run by marines that did a great job of teaching basic marksmenship. No problem qualifying expert in the army.

4. If we're talking about regrets, I have one. Went airborne, got sent to a leg unit in europe. Went to the CO of the 10th group in Bad Tolz one weekend and begged him to take me in. He sent me back to my unit with a letter of acceptance in hand. My leg CO told me I'm too valuable to the unit to let go. To this day I regret not kicking his ass. I guess the scouts instilled too much respect.
tunanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 19:47   #102
adal
Quiet Professional

Yes
Eagle with palms
I don't think Scouting pushed me towards SF but it was a natural path for me.
It taught me leadership, trust in myself, skill knowledge.
I am still active in scouting. Took a troop out for the second year in a row and taught winter survival. I am in the mountains at 7500' and they are from Phoenix where it rarely gets cold. This year I took my 12 year old daughter with us. It was 35 degrees and rained all night long. Stellar!!!!!! The boys shelters worked, fire skills were tested, moral was high and lots was learned.
I think everything other than tactics I learned in scouts. All the military did was reenforce or sharpen a skill I learned in scouts. (Rifle and survival skills were good, but team time with an M-4 and SERE sure made those better!
Old 11-28-2011, 20:31   #103
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by adal View Post
Yes
Eagle with palms
I don't think Scouting pushed me towards SF but it was a natural path for me.
It taught me leadership, trust in myself, skill knowledge.
I am still active in scouting. Took a troop out for the second year in a row and taught winter survival. I am in the mountains at 7500' and they are from Phoenix where it rarely gets cold. This year I took my 12 year old daughter with us. It was 35 degrees and rained all night long. Stellar!!!!!! The boys shelters worked, fire skills were tested, moral was high and lots was learned.
I think everything other than tactics I learned in scouts. All the military did was reenforce or sharpen a skill I learned in scouts. (Rifle and survival skills were good, but team time with an M-4 and SERE sure made those better!
I was cold this morning when I got up!
Old 11-28-2011, 21:24   #104
adal
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
I was cold this morning when I got up!
What 75? It was in the 20's here.
Old 12-24-2011, 15:18   #105
Brutus Fidus
Asset

1. Were you ever in the Boy Scouts
2. Did you obtain Eagle or what was your highest rank. (I am sure that there are several other Eagles on the board)
3. How did your Scout training help you in your military life or your Civilian life.
4. Did your Scout training guide you toward your decision to go SF.
5.... Any other comments about Scouts and the Military.
etc etc etc

I had to post on this one. BSA was a HUGE part of my life as a kid.

1. Yes. Started as a Cub Scout in grade school, on through Weblos, then into BS though my church.

2. Life Scout - 2 merit badges ("personal finance" and "family life") and a service project away from Eagle when I turned 18. Still regret not finishing. Duty to God. Mile swim. 100 Mile.

3. I ship in March, I'm certain BSA experiences will be a big help. As a civilian it was the foundation for my love of the outdoors. Our church BS troop was BIG on "High Adventure" scouting. From age 12-18, our troop had 3 different troop masters: My father - Former Navy. Very competent mountaineer and technical climber. He rucked us through the Rockies, Ozarks and Tetons. Bennet - Former Army medic, served in Korea. Tough as nails. He used to sneak up behind us with a wire garrote while we were sitting around the fire during camping trips. He taught us to track and shoot. Made us wear surplus army BDUs to all camp-outs; except for Philmont, were he made us wear our "Class A's" the entire trip. We hated him for that, but we looked sharp. We made quite a name for ourselves that year when we carried out our injured "guide". Finally, Bishop Adams - Game Warden for Fish and Wildlife / small town Sheriff. He taught us to shoot and track even better. We canoed more than 100 miles through the Canadian Boundary Waters with him. We also dominated everyone at the Klondike Derby (5k of team events while pulling a dogsled) every year.

4. It may sound silly and naive, but one of the main reasons I want to be SF is to get back that feeling I had as a Scout. Wanting to LEARN AND DO EVERYTHING. Being part of a group that was striving to be the best. Being proud of what I was doing and what I had accomplished (show me another 12 year old who can open a can of beans in the dark with a p38).
Brutus Fidus is offline   Reply With Quote