Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 12-03-2012, 07:54   #16
Gold Eagle
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
It is a good idea if you want them to collect dust.

Most mag springs are chrome moly or stainless, which means they are naturally rust free.

If yours are rusting, go ahead and oil them if you feel better, but they will be attracting a lot of dust after you do, and require more frequent cleaning.

TR
So Silicon is not OK? Thanks!
Gold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:58   #17
medic&commo
Quiet Professional

FWIW - I just disassemble & check them once a year, or if they're grossly dirty; otherwise wiping down seems to suffice.
m&c
Old 12-03-2012, 20:55   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Eagle View Post
So Silicon is not OK? Thanks!
Sorry, chrome silicon is a better metal for magazine springs if they are kept in a clean, dry environment.

In the real world, they rust much faster than the stainless steel springs, and thus have to be maintained.

I would take the stainless ones over the chrome silicon. Then all you have to do is to wipe them off occasionally to keep the dust and dirt out of the mags.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:39   #19
Gold Eagle
Guerrilla

I was thinking the spray type silicone bought at China Mart and auto parts stores for rust protection.

Last edited by Gold Eagle; 12-10-2012 at 19:13. Reason: Can't Spell
Old 12-18-2019, 08:03   #20
Gold Eagle
Guerrilla

Quote:
T R

Please post your opinion when you try Mobil Red Cap synthetic motor oil.
I've read about some using Mobil 1 5-30 and are satisfied. Thanks!!!
Any updates to Syn oil? I know it's been awhile.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:49   #21
CSB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Magazine Springs will generally retain their functionality whether they are compressed or relaxed. What wears them out is cycling i.e. loading, unloading or radical/repetitive thermal changes.
I remember a magazine article on this topic years ago, and it included "should magazines be loaded to less than full capacity" so the spring had "a little slack" to make it last longer. (e.g. 18 rounds in a 20 round mag).

The results were straightforward.

Store the magazines loaded to the rated capacity, or store them part empty, or empty them unless loading up to fire ... the result is the same. There is no "statistically significant difference" in the life of the spring. The only way to shorten the life of the spring is to cycle it.

As Ambush Master said, it is the cycling -- compress, uncompress, compress, uncompress -- that "work hardens" the spring with every cycle, ultimately leading to the metal snapping. Much like bending a paper clip back and forth and back and forth.

When you thing about it, that makes sense. So have a number of magazines, and rotate among them rather than using the same two or three at the range every time. They will then all last longer.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:41   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I have experienced no lubrication related malfunctions while using synthetic motor oil and automotive grease.

I do run my weapons wet though.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 12-20-2019, 14:29   #23
Gold Eagle
Guerrilla

Thank you gentlemen!

T.R., Mobile One?
Old 12-21-2019, 19:12   #24
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thank you gentlemen!

T.R., Mobile One?
Correct.

TR

Old 10-11-2020, 04:29   #25
Hummer
Asset

I have had new mags right out of the wrappers that were bone dry and would not work till I depressed follower and ran a patch down inside with Mobil 1 on them.

As Richard said above don't overdo it as lubricant attracts dust.

DO NOT USE Graphite powder ! ! ! ! Graphite in the presence of moisture is a lubricant, graphite in the absence of moisture is an abrasive. That is why graphite is in brake shoes.

There was a course at Rock Island Arsenal called "Corrosion and Prevention of Material Deterioration" and if it is still conducted and you can get sent to it GO ! ! !
Finest DA course I ever attended. It is a week long and you will be amazed at what it covers.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote