Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 09-26-2010, 23:41   #136
uboat509
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
Quite the opposite. Unplanned encounters are a primary reason for tazers, nightsticks, pepper spray, etc. A traffic stop is a "planned encounter" by an individual officer. And you don't "taze" somebody for running a stop sign.

You use it when the situation suddenly goes to hell and becomes a "tazer situation", something you weren't planning on doing when you asked for license, registration, and proof of insurance.
Are you saying that the first option an officer should use when confronted with what he believes is deadly force is less than lethal techniques? My understanding was that less than lethal options were designed to subdue individuals who were not a direct and immediate threat to the life of the officer or other person in other words where use of deadly force was not justified. Perhaps I was misinformed.

Perhaps my terminology is off. What I meant by unplanned encounter in this case is that the officers met the victim at a time and place not of their choosing and without the equipment that they stated that they were waiting on and without a plan in place as to how they were going to proceed with subduing someone that apparently as far as they knew was possibly high on something, agitated and armed.

Quote:
And, he wasn't waiting for more officers. He was waiting for someone who outranked him, so that they would be the pinata hanging in front of the chief if things went south. That's conjecture, but conjecture with real life experience behind it.
That is what he stated and in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I will take it at face value.

Last edited by uboat509; 09-26-2010 at 23:44.
uboat509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 15:46   #137
spherojon
Guerrilla

I’m sure Erik Scott was a nice guy and a good friend, and I am sorry for you loss. What struck me as odd was the toxicity report showing lethal amounts of morphine, Xanax, and a combination of other controlled substances.

The police in this situation are arriving on scene expecting a man high on a controlled substance with a firearm. For all the officers know the controlled substance would be PCP, characterized by staggering, unsteady gait, slurred speech, bloodshot eyes, slow reaction time, easily confused, and loss of balance.

Quote:
LV PO-43-04 directs that " The TASER® may be used when a subject is displaying active, aggressive or aggravated aggressive resistance to an officer attempting to conduct legal law enforcement activities (see 6/002.00, Use of Force, for definitions).
In your defense, a Taser is effective on a subject high on PCP. But, my question goes out to LEO’s; would you pull a Taser out on a subject suspected to be on PCP with a firearm?
Old 09-27-2010, 17:29   #138
Bad Tolz
Asset

"Sack of Shit?"

"Nope, I wasn't there.
Yep, he's a sack of shit " Plato

Just curious Plato, are you or have you ever been a LEO in a deadly force situation? If so, are you familiar with Dr. Bill Lewinski (Force Science), who has probably researched and documented more LEO violent encounters than anyone else?

The "sack of shit" comment is not worthy, considering you are armchairing this incident, partner.

Bad Tolz

De Oppresso Liber

Who dares wins
Bad Tolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 17:31   #139
AngelsSix
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by spherojon View Post
I’m sure Erik Scott was a nice guy and a good friend, and I am sorry for you loss. What struck me as odd was the toxicity report showing lethal amounts of morphine, Xanax, and a combination of other controlled substances.

The police in this situation are arriving on scene expecting a man high on a controlled substance with a firearm. For all the officers know the controlled substance would be PCP, characterized by staggering, unsteady gait, slurred speech, bloodshot eyes, slow reaction time, easily confused, and loss of balance.

In your defense, a Taser is effective on a subject high on PCP. But, my question goes out to LEO’s; would you pull a Taser out on a subject suspected to be on PCP with a firearm?

Read the dozens of stories of officers that have shot PCP users multiple times and they have kept on coming to understand the answer to your question. The difference is involuntary vs. voluntary.

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 19:23   #140
Blue
Guerrilla

Quote:
But, my question goes out to LEO’s; would you pull a Taser out on a subject suspected to be on PCP with a firearm?
No.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 19:52   #141
plato
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by busa View Post
I have, and I can tell you that I never heard a shotgun blast less than three feet away from me and I can also say that the three officers involved all saw things differently and none of us were liars.
I understand the confusion when rounds are flying, and time becomes either terrifyingly fast or amazingly slow. I wasn't really addressing that portion of "the case".

I was simply comparing his comments concerning "man with a gun" and non-lethal force.

1. We don't do that.
2. We were preparing to do that.

One of those two is a lie.
Old 09-27-2010, 20:14   #142
plato
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboat509 View Post
Are you saying that the first option an officer should use when confronted with what he believes is deadly force is less than lethal techniques?

Perhaps my terminology is off. What I meant by unplanned encounter in this case is that the officers met the victim at a time and place not of their choosing and without the equipment that they stated that they were waiting on and without a plan in place as to how they were going to proceed with subduing someone that apparently as far as they knew was possibly high on something, agitated and armed.

That is what he stated and in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I will take it at face value.
Re: first option.....It would be my first choice. A shot to other than the head will possibly to incapacitate a person sooner or later. I imagine many here with a purple heart can attest to that. A taser incapacitates faster.

Re: Planned encounter: I can't think of what the other equipment might be, but then on "my force", of the early 80' we had fewer options. Beanbags and rubber bullets come to mind and both of those are slower

Re: Absence of evidence.... That was was my attempt at LEO/FOG humor. Didn't work .
Old 09-27-2010, 21:26   #143
plato
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Tolz View Post
"Nope, I wasn't there.
Yep, he's a sack of shit " Plato

Just curious Plato, are you or have you ever been a LEO in a deadly force situation? If so, are you familiar with Dr. Bill Lewinski (Force Science), who has probably researched and documented more LEO violent encounters than anyone else?

The "sack of shit" comment is not worthy, considering you are armchairing this incident, partner.

Bad Tolz
"deadly force siituation" I hate that term.

I'll let you apply it according to your definition. Seems there are several.

I have been a LEO. I have never "applied" deadly force as a LEO.

As a LEO, I have chased, chanced upon, and intentionally encountered people with handguns, knives and shotguns who had hands on and were prepared to use them only in self-defense, to settle a matter with someone, who had a history that included felonies, and who were trying to exit the scene from a felony.

I have been present as a LEO when shots were fired, but as part of an outer perimeter/ to keep the civilians away.

Depending on the individual, all, or one of those situations above could be what they call "deadly force situation".

OK, consider the "sack of shit" withdrawn.

I'll go with "not entirely truthful".
Old 09-28-2010, 00:10   #144
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

With multiple officers at the enterance waiting for Scott to come out, one should have had a taser out, as it seems they all had their pistols out. I could understand Scott being shot when he made movement to surrender his pistol. What I can not stand for is the additional 3 rds to the back when he was down and lack of first aid.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:54   #145
plato
Guerrilla

live Las Vegas inquest broadcast

The full inquest session was broadcast live yesterday. Apparently, it will be broadcast live again today.

Site is http://www.8newsnow.com/category/187...now-live-video

Most of the witnesses don't know the difference between a pistol and a cantaloupe, but there's always a chance.
Old 09-28-2010, 17:15   #146
Blue
Guerrilla

Quote:
Re: first option.....It would be my first choice. A shot to other than the head will possibly to incapacitate a person sooner or later. I imagine many here with a purple heart can attest to that. A taser incapacitates faster.
Are you shitting me???
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:10   #147
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
What struck me as odd was the toxicity report showing lethal amounts of morphine, Xanax, and a combination of other controlled substances.
See my earlier comment... I am, unfortunately, not surprised. The total circumstances are overwhelming in favor of a tragic but reasonable ending. I find sympathy for those that knew this man and that now suffer due to his choices. However, I find it incredibly short sighted to nit pick testimony of ALL involved as if there is/was some conspiracy to target this man.

This guy was not the guy that his former friends knew anymore.... at LEAST not on that day. Bad choices/drug addiction/under the influence/ very erratic and aggressive behavior all while armed with a pistol or two.... yep. He ended up getting the most likely end result from such activity. At least he didn't drive off and KILL a family of innocents while hammered on narcotics and extremely irritated.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 17:48   #148
AngelsSix
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas View Post
See my earlier comment... I am, unfortunately, not surprised. The total circumstances are overwhelming in favor of a tragic but reasonable ending. I find sympathy for those that knew this man and that now suffer due to his choices. However, I find it incredibly short sighted to nit pick testimony of ALL involved as if there is/was some conspiracy to target this man.

This guy was not the guy that his former friends knew anymore.... at LEAST not on that day. Bad choices/drug addiction/under the influence/ very erratic and aggressive behavior all while armed with a pistol or two.... yep. He ended up getting the most likely end result from such activity. At least he didn't drive off and KILL a family of innocents while hammered on narcotics and extremely irritated.
He sure as hell didn't walk. He wasn't sober when he left his residence. Unless his girlfriend was driving, he had already put people at risk. The mere fact that he knowingly violated numerous laws by arming himself while medicated/intoxicated made him subject to the actions of the officers.

I am not trying to judge, apparently there was a lot going on in this man's life leading up to this. According to the inquest, he had been having issues long before this.

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 20:02   #149
plato
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Are you shitting me???
Not at all. A number of PD's find the taser the preferred "weapon" in potential lethal force situations, as does the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

Chief Dan Linza would have made sure that I reached an internal temp of about 200 degrees before pulling my shield if I opened fire in a crowded area, or even "stayed in sight" possibly prompting an armed person to "pull".

And on the most personal basis, I often wear a nylon hand/wrist brace about 8 inches long, and there are apparently people in Las Vegas who can't tell the difference between nylon and blued steel in split second decisions.
Old 09-30-2010, 17:17   #150
spherojon
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas View Post

I pretty much agree with you on this one.